Ever wonder why the world thinks America is stupid?

aznriptide859

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...

LOL, TBH generalised population intellectual decline is more prevalent in countries with high socio-economic disparities/inequalities, such as the US, Australia, UK, France, Italy etc.

If you combine say IQ scores of the population, and graph it with the Gini Coefficient you will see a trend. In saying that it needs to be standardised by GDP groups to have any real meaning. Countries with similar GDP but have high levels of social inequalities, the IQ scores are generally lower, and there are some rates of decline.

When I was designing video games, I was told that whatever games you want to sell in the States I would have to numb it down by 10% IQ. Hence why CoD-MW2 sells.

But yeah, this problem is not just the US. The overfocus of social strata in the UK has created a distintive underclass which is increasing in social and intellectual decline, as are other countries listed above, while the ultra elite often overfocuses on the visible effects of immigrants or cultural differences, the real decline is in the majority of the population, which is gradual and unforeseeable.

Its a very complex interaction between changing cultural/religious values between various social economic classes, and how it is reflected in the legal realm.

• 4 weeks later...

LOL, TBH generalised population intellectual decline is more prevalent in countries with high socio-economic disparities/inequalities, such as the US, Australia, UK, France, Italy etc.

If you combine say IQ scores of the population, and graph it with the Gini Coefficient you will see a trend. In saying that it needs to be standardised by GDP groups to have any real meaning. Countries with similar GDP but have high levels of social inequalities, the IQ scores are generally lower, and there are some rates of decline.

When I was designing video games, I was told that whatever games you want to sell in the States I would have to numb it down by 10% IQ. Hence why CoD-MW2 sells.

But yeah, this problem is not just the US. The overfocus of social strata in the UK has created a distintive underclass which is increasing in social and intellectual decline, as are other countries listed above, while the ultra elite often overfocuses on the visible effects of immigrants or cultural differences, the real decline is in the majority of the population, which is gradual and unforeseeable.

Its a very complex interaction between changing cultural/religious values between various social economic classes, and how it is reflected in the legal realm.

That's actually very interesting, what would be fascinating is why this trend is happening.

Could it be that the countries are becoming more arrogant as they develop and placing less importance on education and learning?

Obligatory XKCD: http://xkcd.com/850_large/

:D Yeah I know..... to be honest not all Americans are total tards just a significant portion of them..... Hell, almost a month ago an American girl asked me if English was my second language..... and I was speaking in perfect English (I have a "Pacific Northwest Accent" not an "asian accent", by the way I grew up learning both tongues) to her for the past 2 hours, and she's apparently supposed to be going to law school once she gets her Bachelors..... Yeah, America is probably doomed.

EDIT: ...Then there was that group of Americans who went to a Chinese restaurant and asked for sake.... I facepalmed right there. That's like asking for soju at a Japanese restaurant (although.... they probably have a higher chance of stocking soju at a Japanese restaurant than a Chinese one stocking sake).

Dear rest of the world:

Unfortunately we know these people are too common here it seems. Send us some chlorine and we will fix the gene pool. Thanks!

Signed, Concerned Americans.

P.S. We can't afford it ourselves so we will pay back later.

But seriously, it hurts to read things like this. :huh:

North America = Hockey

UK = Ice Hockey.

Not a dig as i am a massive Hockey (ice) fan ESPN subsriber and a big Colorado Avalnache fan.:) :) :) :) :) :)

You too???? I didn't actually think it was that common in the UK. I know one guy who absolutely loves hockey in one of my classes but too bad he's a Flames fan.

One of my profs also had an argument about which was better football (soccer) or rugby with this other guy then it turned into how hockey was like the greatest sport in the world cause it's not just a diving fest and when players take hits they just get back up (after all it's part of the game, and you're getting hit by 250 pound guys). You need large amounts of speed, skill, and strength too to be able to skate down the rink, deke and handle the puck, and strength to fire off the puck and get it into the goal.

PS: Go Canucks Go!

That's actually very interesting, what would be fascinating is why this trend is happening.Could it be that the countries are becoming more arrogant as they develop and placing less importance on education and learning?

If you model intelligence as the useful energy within a system, and humans as the matter within that system. Then apply 2nd law of thermodynamics, which states that natural processes increases entropy, i.e. the amount of useless intelligence increases, meaning naturally people get "less intelligent".

So whats so different between why a country ridden with large socio-economic disparaties/inequalities has intelligence that decline faster than those with less disparaties?

Arrogance is a symptom of it. It has more to do the incomplete realisation at a nationwide population level of the connection each person has with the others, that resources are not plentiful, and that people have to work together better their situation.

It is the classic example of the "rich/spoilt only child" persona. In general, this persona has very little willingness to work with others as they have everything they need, are arrogant, and thinks they own everything. Coupled with the parent's encouragement of individualism, you have a real ar$ehole on your hands. Its like an oversized cancer.

Apply this trait to the ruling majority of a country (remember that numerous studies in management sciences have shown that it only requires 15% of the population to effectively control the other 85%), and that will have dumbed down and corrupted everything from education, economics, to health care. Then the problem becomes systemic, but what is even more interesting is the effect it has to our physiology.

A lot of the prevalent diseases in the higher socio-economic strata of the population mirrors the same patho-physiological behaviours as seen in the "rich spoilt kid". Cancer, obesity, cardiovascular issues, renal issues, diabetes, ADHD.

There is nothing you can do, short of starting over.

Humans, ideas, and society are a lot like farming. You need to plow the ground, fertilise, clear the weeds and sow the seeds to get the right crops. You can never just let things flourish and expect to have any useable crops.

"Freedom" creates diversity I agree, but with the number of weeds that grows over time, they aren't exactly useful.

Good argument but you have to admit that the US is still a "technopole" of innovation. Want proof?

Silicon Valley, Route 128, The Triangle in N.Carolina, Redmond, and Texas, just to name a few.

Sure you have the M4 corridor and the Cambridge Science Park in the UK but by far the US is still the leader in innovation.

Granted this is very Science/Engineering centred and it also ignores the rest of the idiots in America but you can't say that America is getting super dumbed down ignoring those high tech areas of innovation. I'll agree however that on a whole they generally are getting dumber and it's likely the people making those innovations in Silicon Valley and such are foreigners (anecdotal case; My aunt is a researcher in the US but her origins aren't from the US). Not only that, a lot of Math/CS and Engineering Profs/TA's/Grad Students seem to be foreigners..... Coincidence??? I think not.

Has anyone else besides me think that maybe the '40's were probably our better years as a country?

46 and later were definitely good, but until 49 definitely not the best. If you are referring to the war years and and very end of the Great Depression (42-43)...no. I'm all for the 50s but the social unrest and technological advances made in the late 60s early 70s would have been interesting to watch.

If you guys want proof that americans seek attention good or bad, go to 4chan, or even better go to encyclopediacramatica.com

Archived