Reputation system WTF....

Reputation points, yea or nay?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Should we keep the reputation point system?

• yes
    • no

Sad that on the interwebs, everyone seems to be a hater. On a forum like this, there should be a more close knit group, but still haters pop up. It seems that as long as you have the option to leave a negative as well as a positive, you will have more of the first by nature...

A shame we can't see who has given the feedback... people are a little less quick to be keyboard heroes when feedback isn't anonymous.

That being said, every forum I've run professionaly took the reputation/karma/whatever system out, trolls and keyboard heroes spoil it for the majority that would find it useful.

Edited by Mat

As a heads up, from what I can tell a lot of your feedback is coming from the fact that what you are posting is irrelevant, or trash. I don't make much use of the rep system, but some people will show thier frustration by hitting that "-".

Edited by -Angel-

Is there no way we can make it viewable from a profile, perhaps a little pop-up box like Warns, or an extra page altogether?

People who make valuable contributions to threads can then still receive recognition for it, and by the same token people who repeatedly make irrelevant, abusive, or unintelligible posts will realise it.

It's still useful to know someone's rep, but I agree that a big red or green bar at the top of the profile page doesn't tell the whole story, and potential buyers could be put off, or whatever.

Ben.

People who make valuable contributions to threads can then still receive recognition for it, and by the same token people who repeatedly make irrelevant, abusive, or unintelligible posts will realise it.

It's still useful to know someone's rep, but I agree that a big red or green bar at the top of the profile page doesn't tell the whole story, and potential buyers could be put off, or whatever.

Ben.

The problem is how often does someone bother to positive tick someone (even ebay its hard to get somepeople to leave feedback with a perfectly good transaction).

If you looked at the way some people had left negative REP on this and the other thread, it wasn't because the replies deserved it was to humour themsevles .

i agreed with what you said quote " It's still useful to know someone's rep " But only if its a true rep which if everyone was to use the rep thing properly it would work but atm it hasn't .

It's not 'some people' leaving loads of negative rep though, is it?

You can only change the reputation of a single post once, ever. You can only give rep points a certain number of times a day.

Keeping those two facts in mind, when you go through a thread and see a post with, say, - 7 rep points, it means seven seperate people thought it warranted a negative rep.

It could be more - perhaps 10 people gave negative rep, and then three other people who browsed the thread later didn't think it deserved it, so added a positive rep point each, leaving - 7 rep. I'll often be reading a thread and vote a post with - 1 rep back up to 0 if the post in question didn't really need a negative rep point.

My idea was for the forum software to request a comment each time a rep is given, to make it clear why. This way, it would weed out the trolls who go through threads giving neg rep points to a certain person each time they post purely because they don't like them, and also would make it easier for the mods to see which rep changes are valid, and which ones could potentially be reversed.

I do accept it's not the most practical method, though, and would increase the mod workload. But if the end gain justifies the means, then I'm all for it.

Ben.

EDIT:: Or, another idea - play with the rep point daily allowance mechanic.

What about some kind of counterbalance system?

So if you're the kind of person who goes round the forum adding neg reps to posts you don't like and never rewards good posts with positive rep, the forum software could turn your negative rep daily allowance down - so you aren't able to add as much negative rep.

Then, when you start being fair and recognising good posts with positive rep points, it could bring your neg rep allowance back up?

Not sure if that's viable, it's just an idea. It would ideally work vice-versa as well, so people can't constantly go round giving their friends positive rep.

Edited by L4byr1nth

Whilst I can write code to do anything we like it would mean I would have to rewrite the code every time I upgraded the forum or patched security holes. So we are therefore limited by what we can do with the options available.

Whatever is chosen the usual applies in that not everyone will like it. There's three options that I can see.

Don't allow negative marks to be left

Don't allow anyone to see their total

Disable the lot

As I quick like the ability for users to rate posts anonymously with the obvious limits and conditions that are in place my personal preference is for the second option.

it should stop or slow down users out just to trash another user's Rep score.

You and Phil_Ger's scores are crashing into the negatives because a lot of your posts don't contribute to the discussions. Phil has already had an accusation of post-padding to get to the sale section. And while no-one but the mods have the right to tell you to "cut it out", they will still show thier frustration with your posts by marking you down. Its not a vendetta, its you guys.

Gaining positive isn't an issue if you consider the relevance of your post before submitting it. I'm not the most knowledgable or complimentary guy on the forum and had still managed to accumulate a reasonable positive score. The odd bit of advice or useful suggestion here and there will soon add up.

I could care less if my post rep is negative, I just want it acknowledged somewhere that post rep does not reflect sales rep. I am very opinionated, so I expect people to not agree with me, and I also expect some people to get so angry they leave negative feedback, its not warranted but some people think that opinions can be right or wrong, and not that opinions can vary.

. Its not a vendetta, its you guys.

I asked a question on the other similar thread about the negative rep, which i since found out was because i placed the wrong reply in the wrong thread fair enough my bad.

In doing so i and some of the other repliers got negatived alot more in that thread .

none of my other replies have been negativily rep'ed. yet!

So if i've upset anybody punk.gif

I could care less if my post rep is negative, I just want it acknowledged somewhere that post rep does not reflect sales rep. I am very opinionated, so I expect people to not agree with me, and I also expect some people to get so angry they leave negative feedback, its not warranted but some people think that opinions can be right or wrong, and not that opinions can vary.

How in the hell could this earn me a negative point? Who in their right mind thinks this deserves bad rep? Just goes to show that a rep systems is a needless drama machine, and some people are out there just to spite others, and not actually contribute to the forum. I left ASR because of all the drama the rep system caused (because it was driven by facebook and myspace obsessed kiddies, who just wanted drama so they could tweet about their feelings to everyone because they all need to know). Leaving negative feedback without a reason why is like saying,

your wrong/bad/mean/satan, but I don't have to explain why or say who I am because I'm special.

I stand by my opinion that if we are going to have a rep system for posts it needs to be made clear it does not reflect sales, and their should be an explanation, it can be anonymous, but it needs to be there, as obviously some people just want to demean others.

Edited by frogfish

Don't allow negative marks to be left

I've mentioned it in the other thread but since this one seems to be the one people are watching I'll say it again; this is the option I'd like.

From what little I know, the old system was taken out because of the huge amount of grief it generally caused, along with the workload it created for the mods; removing the - button negates this issue. It's a little bit 'everyone's a winner this sports day, even if you lose!', admittedly, but it works for facebook and if you ever wanted a testing ground for a system to be implemented amongst an on-line community of people, that would be the place I'd be looking to for examples. People who post looks of cool and interesting content and help other people out will gain a nice high score, those who post irrelevant and useless junk won't accrue anything; and the current warning and moderation system will continue to deal with anyone who's spamming or otherwise being rude and generally breaking the forum rules.

End of the day, having + only isn't ever going to cause a problem that any moderator will have to deal with (that I can forsee) and it maintains the presence of a site feature that I would think a large portion of members do want to have.

• 8 months later...
This gives me a big red bar in my profile that has scared away many potential buyers of my items.

Where? I can't see any big red bars anywhere on mine or anyone elses profile.

Unless it's just been removed I think you're being a bit overly dramatic. And there is always the little fact that you shoudn't trade with someone in the first place if they're the type of person who notices a little number next to ONE POST on the forum.

Bearing that in mind, I don't think I want to trade with you anymore. You can keep your SWAT helmet, and the mudkips :P

Edited by Samm

Where? I can't see any big red bars anywhere on mine or anyone elses profile.

Unless it's just been removed I think you're being a bit overly dramatic.

Staff removed it sometime in Sep/Oct 2010, do realize the last post before yours was in OCT 2010..... and since the bar was removed I have not had one person I've tried to trade with ask me why I had negative rep and if it was related to sales/trades like I had before.

Edited by frogfish