5.56 Ruger thing

Donut

So, I got myself a couple MGC Ruger10/22 a while back and I love it. Even with the lack of hopup it's one of the best guns I've ever used.

Anyways, I decided to play around with one. It's the perfect platform for a light scouting rifle. I want it to use STANAG mags, originally I was going to use a VSR10 barrel/hopup, but that proved to be too much hassle. It took me a while to figure out the exterior, but in the end I just looked around in my parts bin and found suitable pieces.

Well, here it is

IMG_0374.jpg

IMG_0375.jpg

IMG_0377.jpg

IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg

I hacked off the original magwell, and hacked a G36/STANAG adapter to fit with an AK hopup. The barrel is a G&P PDW barrel that's bolted onto the stock. It's really picky on mags, nothing works except TM mags right now and it double feeds a little some time.

I racked my brains trying to figure out a way to mount the handguard, originally I was going to copy the M14 with the handguard rings and all that. Then I realized that it said perfectly in the receiver, so I just taped it down to secure it, sort of like a barrel band. I also wanted to give it a more rugged and scrapped look, which the tape and metal bands helped.

There's still a few more things that need to be done, other than the obvious cosmetic works, I need to mount a rail on it somewhere, though I might just use the 22 rail, make a cover for the hopup, and finally put on some iron sights, though I'm still debating on the style and placement.

Added hopup cover

IMG_0376-1.jpg

Found a random nut which lets me seat the flashhider properly instead of leaving a small gap

IMG_0375-1.jpg

And yes, the tape is going to stay, I like the look better.

No picatinny rails, just one dovetail on top for the cheap 22 red dot.

IMG_0380-1.jpg

Man that first pic really reminds me of Lando's blaster :) . While the belly band tape does the job, I think it makes it look a bit cheap. Maybe change the material to leather or a thin band of sheet metal (lightly rusted), a copper wire wrap even like old SMLE's whose wooden stocks have begun to split.

Wow, awesome work. Looks right like it's right out of some 80's cyberpunk :). If you're looking for sights, just go on ebay and search for "front/rear sight", you can find pretty much anything. Or you could make your own pretty easily out of pretty much any workable materials. I found a pair of mauser 98k irons for mine for just over 20$, though they've required some fine tuning and gratuitous use of sandpaper and plumbing equipment to fit.

Though I must ask, was it totally necessary to chop the body? Because I've been thinking about trying the same thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see my old 10/22 morph into an awesome project gun.

nice work!

Thanks! :D

Wow, awesome work. Looks right like it's right out of some 80's cyberpunk :). If you're looking for sights, just go on ebay and search for "front/rear sight", you can find pretty much anything. Or you could make your own pretty easily out of pretty much any workable materials. I found a pair of mauser 98k irons for mine for just over 20$, though they've required some fine tuning and gratuitous use of sandpaper and plumbing equipment to fit.

Though I must ask, was it totally necessary to chop the body? Because I've been thinking about trying the same thing.

I tried to go for something like an old apocalyptic/distopia Cyberpunk feel. I might skip the sights for now, I do have a pair of UMP sights so I might use that if I ever decide to add them on.

As for the mod, you could actually do it with out cutting the gun in half, I kind of realized it after the fact :P

It actually made it harder too after I cut it, since I had to figure out a way to attach the magwell and still allow takedown if I ever decide to take it apart. My solution is the metal bands on the outside, they basically help hold the gun together. It is rock solid now.

If you sand down the G36 adapter and bore out the Ruger magwell, you could actually fit the adapter inside the stock, making the job much cleaner and easier.

Man that first pic really reminds me of Lando's blaster :) . While the belly band tape does the job, I think it makes it look a bit cheap. Maybe change the material to leather or a thin band of sheet metal (lightly rusted), a copper wire wrap even like old SMLE's whose wooden stocks have begun to split.

Hmmm, I do like the idea of leather, but it seems like a little too much work for me :P

But I did find a better alternative than the yellow tape.

Also got a new reddot, I think this one fits the cyberpunk feel a little better.

IMG_0375-3.jpg

IMG_0376-3.jpg

Black gorilla tape. It gives it a little more texture. Not as classy as leather, but classier than yellow tape.

IMG_0377-2.jpg

Still wanted the post apocalypse feel, taped mags! :P

IMG_0378-2.jpg

IMG_0379-2.jpg

IMG_0380-2.jpg

IMG_0382.jpg

The suppressor works very well on this gun. Reducing a sharp snap to a muffled thud.

This thing is a SKIRMISHING BEAST. I tried it out recently, it chrono'd at a consistent 410fps, though I've installed a really crude but effective fps adjuster to get it to CQB safe levels. The AK hopup/tightbore gives it the range and accuracy to go toe to toe with any rifle while only being slightly heavier than a GBB. I didn't get a count of how many rounds a full fill gives out, as I always filled up when I had the chance, but I was able to run through 3 of my mags at one point. I really can't ask for much more as a standalone, grab-and-go skirmish weapon.

P.S. Before you say anything, yes, I know the barrel looks bent/crooked in the pictures, I assure you it's just an illusion/camera trickery. Thanks

P.P.S. I am by no means done. There are still small issues I'd like to work out, like making a better hopup cover, giving it a better fps adjuster, and little cosmetic works.

Archived