TSLFx Twin Vent High Density Smoke Screening Grenade

This weekend at the Gunman Airsoft Battlefield Bad Company 2 weekender, I decided to try out the well reviewed TSLFx Twin Vent High Density Smoke Screening Grenade. I decided to go out as an engineer so that I could take out 4 grenades at any one time. Other units were limited to one in the field, and all I needed to give up was a single bandage. Given that I have a habit of finding myself in the middle of a fire fight anyway, I didn't think that this would be an issue. Plus, more bang = good.

The first opportunity came when attacking an objective on a hill. My throw was a little short and landed in open ground, and with the wind blowing in the squad's faces, I quickly proceeded to blind the snipers and provide a nice target for the opposing squad to aim at.

The second (and third) usage was... interesting. I ran from over to a set of tires where the support gunners were and threw myself down behind them to avoid being shot multiple times. Instead of a warm welcome from my team mates, I was quickly told that I appeared to be on fire! I was carrying two of the grenades in my trouser pockets and the top had managed to work its way loose and strike the grenade. This ended up with me dumping that pocket out, but not before it had melted through the outside and inside of the pocket, leaving a minor burn. Annoyingly, these were the first outing for the trousers as well (I blame too much holiday food for the need for new camo).

Luckily, the grenades are marketed as "cool burn smoke", and it certainly seemed to have caused no long lasting injury, within a few hours the only remaining evidence was my DPM trousers sitting in the bin. I would point out for those following at home though, that cool burn doesn't mean cold. As soon as these strike, it's time to throw them!

The next day had a similar incident, but this time in my grenade pouch. I had placed 4 smokes in there and after a similar move, found my rig bellowing with smoke. This led to a quick dump of my equipment, slightly hindered by the wiring for the comms system. After inspection, it seems that all four smokes had lost their caps, and I had a very sticky pouch with a couple of small burn holes in them. The three remaining smokes did seem to actually be serviceable and hadn't fired, but looked rather blackened.

Indeed, they did still work as I discovered in the afternoon. Thrown into scrub, a wonderful cry of "grenade!" was heard, followed by the realisation that it was only smoke and a quick return to the bush which they were dug into. They then found that they couldn't see a thing, allowing our squad to move up and flank.

In the 'village' of the Tuddenham site, there's a lovely passageway on the far side of building 5; for those who don't know the site, it can become a snarled up point with a stand off at either end. However, a single smoke thrown half way down completely filled the area allowing us to pass through. Boy do these things give off a lot of smoke when used in the right situation.

Overall, these are lovely little grenades, an incedible amount of smoke produced in just 30 seconds, and for a very competitive price. There is, however, a serious flaw; the tops cannot be relied upon to stay on! Fortunately, it's easily remedied: I'd advise to remove the striking caps and keep them separate, or attach them to your rig somehow. Leaving these smokes around any other pyros with chemical strikers is something that should be avoided unless you want a repeat incident of man running across field removing clothing.

Would I buy them again? Well, I've just ordered another 20.

Pros:

• High density smoke that sticks around
  • Good throwing weight
  • Reasonable price
  • Cool burning, lower fire (and skin burn!) risk
  • Very easy to strike

Cons:

• Very easy to strike... with tops that won't stay on!

Rating: 4/5