Fitting real L1a1 Wooden Furniture to a Star SLR

Blue4

• 2 weeks later...

Built this one locally for a mate (I machined the barrel parts for the front end, just used a standard STAR L1A1 and remade the gas tubes and barrel, used original sight block)

P1070052.jpg

Was based off the New Zealand "Short" L1A1 used during Vietnam by the NZSAS, 40rd mag was made just by welding two mags together :P

Wow nice work there Bane :D

I've managed to get the original wooden pistol grip sorted - just need the money to buy another STAR SLR now!

BTW has anyone got a photo of a real Aussie "*badgeress*" knocking about - the airsoft ones all seem to have different barrel lengths!

I don't know if it has original barrel length... or not...:wacko: Not sure from period, beacuse I have a photo about experimental 72' pattern webbing... it has huge pouches for 30' rounders. Used by british SAS in 80's in Darfur, Falklands etc. Maybe diggers and kiwis used it after war too... This scope is suspicious.

SASR-FAL.jpg

Theese are too small:

SASweapons.jpgchoppedM14.jpg

Would be nice to get an L2A1 mag for it(I mean RS one to convert it);)

I have a photo about experimental 72' pattern webbing... it has huge pouches for 30' rounders. Used by british SAS in 80's in Darfur, Falklands etc. Maybe diggers and kiwis used it after war too.

Maybe Bren gun pouches. I knew a few folks who used those when they didn't want to wear the mag bra.

The photo with the rifle/launcher doesn't look like it has the heavier barrel like the L2 (or C2) types had to survive sustained automatic fire. Also my eyes may be deceiving me but it seems like it has the selector switch that only allows for single fire, the colour photo of the one below definitely has the full auto switch.

It was possible and common to cross pollinate the 2 versions with parts that were easy to get from the armorer but when you did that you risked at best a severe talking too since you'd burn up your standard barrel in short order. Don't anyone ask how, either you know or you don't and I won't tell.

Things like the sights are also easy to swap over too, you just need to slide in the other dust cover on that version.

Yeah there was alot of cross-mixing with the SLR platforms going on, from what i understand it was quite common for SAS/Special forces to use the "A2" covers on their standard L1A1's for that sight.

Also Danke it would be safe to say thats a three-speed selector, as it was rare to find a shortened L1A1 in semi, i dont think they ever even bothered as the "Shorties" were only really used by SAS, hence the use of the bigger 40rder magazine.

• 2 weeks later...

XM148 I think from memory - forerunner of the 203. The aussies stuck them on everything including a bloody sterling!

Yeah XM148, my favorite pic is of an aussie soldier with a Owen gun fitted with a XM148.. looked insane :D

I dreamed of a gas blow back FN FAL, with optional furniture kits to build a C1A2 or LI and so on down the line for all the people in the world. I hope I dream about it again tonight.

Jeff Cooper said it well; “The AK is the rifle for the masses and the FAL is the rifle for the classes”.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

Archived