Fitting real L1a1 Wooden Furniture to a Star SLR

Blue4

Hi guys

As the title says I've managed to snag a set of wooden furniture for my SLR -

How easy is it to fit to a STAR L1a1 (not the KA version)

I know that the pistol grip won't fit (no biggie) and that the butt needs dremmling out. Howvere how easy is it to fit the foregrip, carry handle & stock? I know a few of you have managed it so please can I have a wee bit of help - as the Star Manual is tosh!

Thanks in advance

Ray

Here we go... 1st Pic is my STAR L1a1 and KA L1a1 (With wood furniture together.)

Next pic is the wood set that I managed to buy for the STAR

Third photo is the Fore grip fitted (which went staight on)

Final Pic is the carry handle / foregrip on the AEG.

Next up will be the fitting of the stock (once it's milled out) and the sanding and repainting of the plastic pistol grip!

P270810_1336.jpg

P030910_1810.jpg

P040910_0853.jpg

P040910_1120.jpg

An update...

I've now managed to hollow out the stock to make enough space for a 8.4 mini (no LiPos here thank you.)

I did this by hand with a cold chisel, hammer, set of flat, curved and circular hand files, a long flat headed screwdriver and plenty of tea.

photo.jpg

Not something I ever wish to repeat.

P070910_1122.jpg

I had a total nightmare trying to get the stock to line up correctly and as a result it's about 2mm out at the top. I also over compensated and removed a little too much from the bottom section.

P070910_1122_01.jpg

P070910_1123.jpg

Not a problem though as I can fill the gaps with putty and paint over them. The stock is secured by an old fashioned screw underneath (after removing the tiny Star hex bolt.) And lashings of Araldite. It's solid as a rock now.

The butt plate had some awful old blacking flaking off of it - so out came the Nitromors (horrid stuff) and it was cleand off in a jiffy.

P070910_1123_01.jpg

The stock is currently resting for the araldite to harden prior to using the putty - and the waiting is a pain in the *albartroth*!

P070910_1132.jpg

Final steps will be to tackle the pistol grip (sanding and painting) and to touch up the stock with paint (where needed.)

P070910_1312.jpg

Thanks Murdoc

Coming from an artist like you that is a great compliment! :D

P090910_0820.jpg

The Araldite is now rock solid on the stock - holding it securly in place. This morning I've filled in the stock gaps with putty.

I've purchased all the bits and bobs to sand down the pistol grip, I just need to figure out what paints / varnish to use and the job is done!

Red

How did you remove the STAR hex bolt? Mine just spins and spins when I tried to remove it and I think the brass insert in the stock came loose.

-Piano

Piano

For the hex boly under the stock a small allen key did the trick, the hex bolt is only a few mm long.

Then the larger bolt inside the butt unscrewed easily wih a long, flat headed screw driver.

Once both had been removed the stock came straight off..

Righto

I have sanded the pistol grip down, removing the 'elephant skin.' By finishing off with coarse paper I've managed to add a simulated 'grain' to the plastic grip.

My hope is that perhaps an inkwash within the grain will add to the wood effect overall prior to varnishing...

Now paint wise I'm thinking of a tan basecoat, followed by a darker wash, then finally a satin varnish - or perhaps even a wood stain?

P120910_1701.jpg

After the pistol grip painting, I'll touch up the remaing areas of the build that need it, then whack on the sling!

Piano

For the hex boly under the stock a small allen key did the trick, the hex bolt is only a few mm long.

Then the larger bolt inside the butt unscrewed easily wih a long, flat headed screw driver.

Once both had been removed the stock came straight off..

Thanks, seems like the brass insert in the stock is now freely spinning so unless I can find a way to drill the screw out or reafix the brass insert, I'm stuck with the factory stock.

-Piano

*edit*

Managed to remove the stock by removing the larger bolt and rear sight first, then giving the stock a tap with a rubber mallet. Turns out the brass insert was just a press fit.

OK folks time for an update...

Hope the other half doesn't read this as I'm supposed to be getting stuff ready for our wedding on Saturday!!

However my paints arrived today and I just couldn't wait!!

Ok..First off I've been touching up the putty that plugged the holes in the wooden stock...now probs there.Then I focused my attention to the pistol grip...

Firstly I laid down a base coat of the lighter brown all over the sanded grip.

When this undercoat was dry I added patches of the darker brown paint and BEFORE this dried I

used a normal kitchen sponge with a watered down dark brown paint on it to sponge and streak the darker colour over the grip and into the fake grain.

P160910_1115_02.jpg

P160910_1108.jpg

It's currently drying outside on the patio. The final steps will be to either add a dark ink wash or leave it as is and coat with varnish...Now please bear in mind I'm not a modeler or woodworker and a total n00b to this type of project - and I'm pretty happy with how it's turning out!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived