First Impressions of the SRC SR5A4 (MP5-N Fixed Stock).

First Impressions of the SRC SR5A4 Gen II AEG.

SRCMP5A2NavyTriggerGroup.jpg

This is the first review that I've written in a while so please bear with me.

-Introduction-

StarRainbowCompany (SRC) made quite a stir a few years ago with their announcement of a stamped and welded steel MP5 AEG. Several Youtube.com videos have been released; the most provoking showing a compact car running over a prototype AEG. An entire line of MP5 AEGs have been announced and can be seen on their website, but very little has been written about them. Gen II and Gen III models are shown in their 2010 catalog, but as of September 1, 2010, only a handful of MP5 Gen II models are currently available. This AEG, the SRC SR5A4 GEN II, is a replica of the Heckler and Koch MP5-N with fixed stock.

-First Impressions / Box Contents-

SRCBox.jpg

SRCBoxContents.jpg

Included with the AEG in the box were a 200-round hi-cap magazine, removable flash-hider, manual, a box of 100 SRC-brand BBs, cleaning rod, and a red rubber barrel plug.

The box is a two-piece affair with a Styrofoam bottom and cardboard top .The bottom measures 35x11.5x3.5 inches and has plenty of space for other MP5 variants, most noticeably the SD models. There are cut outs for two magazines, but only 1 is included. The cardboard top shows somebody dressed up as a member of the KSK. What is of note is that model stickers on the top and end of the box, reinforcing the notion that SRC intends to reuse this box for all their Gen II SR5(MP5) AEGs.

-External Fit and Finish-

SRCFlashhider.jpg

The Navy-style threaded muzzle features both the standard H&K tri-lug design and 14mm CCW threading, which is protected by the knurled cover. It is not compatible with TM/CA design and is actually screwed it and held in place with the front sling pin, much like a VFC AIMS’ barrel.

The thread protector is steel while the rest of the muzzle is not. The front sight is not steel, but the post is a steel insert that is pinned with a spring pin. The end of the cocking tube is also steel.

SRCStamp1.jpg

The upper receiver is stamped and welded steel. The rear sight is mostly steel with the exception of the body of the rear sight. 00141, an eagle, and an elkhorn are stamped right before the rear sight.

SRCStamp2.jpg

Stamped on the magwell is “Kal . 9mm x 19.” The hook riveted onto it is also steel, along with the rivets. The mag release latch is not steel though.

SRCMagwell.jpg

The hop up unit is metal and is reminiscent of the TM AK style hop-up. When you have the charging handle locked back, it will press down on the top of the hop up unit so make sure to return it before testing it or you may cause BBs to jam in it.

SRCFuse.jpg

The fuse is covered with some shrink-wrap, for better or for worse. The wiring harness is a two-piece affair with a mini Tamiya connector at the end of the gearbox wiring and a large Tamiya connector at the end of the butt stock.

-Internal Quality-

SR5GearboxClosed.jpg

The SR5’s gearbox shell is a M4 version 2 rather than a MP5 or G3 version 2 as it has vestigial cutouts. The screws are Phillips screws rather than Hex or Torx screws. The gearbox has 6mm bushings, which is to be expected from SRC’s Gen II lines and the gearbox has “SRC” cast on one side.

SR5GearboxOpen.jpg

Internally, the gearbox is rather heavily greased with different greases in different locations. The shimming is adequate, but could be improved. The switch has copper contacts, nothing special.

SR5GearboxDetail1.jpg

SR5GearboxDetail2.jpg

SR5GearboxDetail3.jpg

After cleaning and degreasing the gearbox, the quality level of the parts can be better seen. The cylinder head is made out of brass and has two external o-rings. The cylinder itself is a full-length cylinder, not a ported cylinder as found in other MP5s. The spring and piston assembly is much like the TM design, with a metal weight inside of it. However, the screw is not covered on the piston head, but rather is recessed. The spring guide is plastic with a metal washer. The gears are steel and are not marked. Of particular interest is the selector plate, which differs from many of the plates already on the market. As I don’t have any of them on hand, I can’t compare them.

-Performance-

Madbull v.1 Chronograph

Mean: 283.75667 fps

Median: 286.1 fps

Mode: 286.1, 288 fps

Standard Deviation: 8.9853 fps

XCorTech Chronograph

TOUT

TOUT

TOUT

TOUT

TOUT

TOUT

Mean: 292.5125 fps

Median: 292.5125 fps

Mode: 292.1, 292.9, 293.6 fps

Standard Deviation: 1.56603 fps

Mean, Median, Mode, and Standard Deviation were calculated without TOUT results.

Rate of fire with an 8.4v 1300mAh mini battery was ~10 rps. Not spectacular, but not unexpected due to the battery used.

Well, that’s it for now. I hope this proves to be useful for others.

-Piano

Edited by PianoBlack

Piano,

Excellent review. It's nice to see people actually tearing down their AEGs and giving us a look at the insides.

In comparison to other MP5s you've handled (if any) how does the plastic of the SRC compare? It looks quite nice in your photographs, rather like the plastic on the PTW. I recently picked up a CA MP5 and my one issue with the gun is the creaky, plasticy foregrip.

Great review, thank you very much!

The charging handle design is the one of G&G or CA?

As I haven't taken a G&G or CA apart recently, I unfortunately cannot answer that question. However, I will be posting additional pictures of various sub-assemblies, including the inner barrel and charging handle, which should assist in answering that question.

Piano,

Excellent review. It's nice to see people actually tearing down their AEGs and giving us a look at the insides.

In comparison to other MP5s you've handled (if any) how does the plastic of the SRC compare? It looks quite nice in your photographs, rather like the plastic on the PTW. I recently picked up a CA MP5 and my one issue with the gun is the creaky, plasticy foregrip.

Thank you for the kind words. The plastic on the gun feels like a nylon-filled plastic and doesn't creak at all. The foregrip and stock are lightly textured. The foregrip is a one-piece casting. Internally, it does not have the metal reinforcement of the real H&K MP5 foregrip, but it is still substancial enough for airsoft.

-Piano

SRCMP5Assemblies.jpg

The charging handle/bolt return spring is attached via a screw and steel plate to the rear of the gearbox via the spring guide.

The hop up unit has some interesting quirks about it. First, the C-clip isn't the standard C-clip but has two additional tabs which keep it from slipping off. Second, it doesn't have a separate hop up nub, but instead it is part of the metal hop up arm. Lastly, it had two rubber o-rings on the outside of the rear of the hop up unit which I haven't seen before on any other hop up unit. Anybody know what these are for?

The muzzle has female cw threads in order to attach to the outer barrel. What keeps it in place is a notch on the outside which allows it to be pinned in place as described earlier with the front sling loop.

-Piano

Now THAT is a proper review. Thank you for your effort sir, I may purchase this one for the steel receiver since ics is taking too long for their MP5 version to come out, and am sure this is cheaper. Selector plate looks like reinforced on the side, nice touch on the c-clip on the hop, better hold and lock stays in place but I think you can still use an ordinary c-clip. I hope the charging handle spring guide base plate is steel, looks too thin for cast metal. The 2 o-rings at the back of the hop may be there to serve as a guide for the nozzle, maybe. It may also be there to help seal the nozzle for leaks, only just speculating here. My experience with src gearboxes are good, not as great as systema but would not hesitate to plink my money on it since it is reasonably priced. I also liked that bit of news on the plastic being similar to nylon fiber reinforced, not the cheapo abs that we usually see on china clones.

Again thanks for this concise review, would surely consider this over the Ics if this ever comes to our shores. :)

Now THAT is a proper review. Thank you for your effort sir, I may purchase this one for the steel receiver since ics is taking too long for their MP5 version to come out, and am sure this is cheaper. Selector plate looks like reinforced on the side, nice touch on the c-clip on the hop, better hold and lock stays in place but I think you can still use an ordinary c-clip. I hope the charging handle spring guide base plate is steel, looks too thin for cast metal. The 2 o-rings at the back of the hop may be there to serve as a guide for the nozzle, maybe. It may also be there to help seal the nozzle for leaks, only just speculating here. My experience with src gearboxes are good, not as great as systema but would not hesitate to plink my money on it since it is reasonably priced. I also liked that bit of news on the plastic being similar to nylon fiber reinforced, not the cheapo abs that we usually see on china clones.

Again thanks for this concise review, would surely consider this over the Ics if this ever comes to our shores. :)

The charging handle spring guide is indeed stamped steel. What perplexes me about the two o-rings is that they're on the outside of the back of the hop-up and nothing comes into contact with them.

So, the grand question: Will Marui mags work? I've read both that they do and that they don't, so a definitive answer would be grand, thanks!

Which ones would you like me to test? I have only the included Hicap and am thinking about testing G&P, S-Arms, TM, and MAG midcaps.

-Piano

Which ones would you like me to test? I have only the included Hicap and am thinking about testing G&P, S-Arms, TM, and MAG midcaps.

-Piano

Ideally, TM brand mags would be perfect, but I'll be happy to hear about whatever you try, and even happier if they work! The only thing that has dissuaded me from getting one of these is the lack of standard magazines (going on the assumption that TM mags don't work).

I've just completed my test of Tokyo Marui 50 round standard magazines and I have bad news, they don't fit. They are slightly too wide to fit into the SRC's magwell. Additionally, the feeding tubes of the TM and SRC magazines are in slightly different positions. I will do some sanding and see if that will remedy the fit issues.

-SRC Hicaps Magazine Dimensions-

Width: 22mm

Depth: 35mm

-Tokyo Marui Magazine Dimensions-

Width: 23mm

Depth: 35mm

-Piano

Mixed news today. First the bad news. MAG MP5 midcaps do fit as the steel magwell of the MP5 wears down the exterior of the magazine. However, feeding is intermittent. I will try to see how much more wear is required to make them reliably work. Now the good news (sorta). SRC's 50 round magazines are available at several online retailers, either in packs of 5 or individually for roughly $10 a magazine in the 5 packs.

-Piano

• 3 weeks later...

Just curious how well those 50 round mags worked out for you. I'm interested in getting the SRC mp5 since the new ICS looks like it will be far too expensive, not to mention some of the parts look like *suitcase*. Also, which retailer did you order from? I've only found the gun available from gunner and airsoft global. And the mags, from airsoft megastore. Thanks in advance. Great review btw.

Update: after finding out airsoft megastore sells the SRC's, I went ahead and ordered one along with a set of the standard mags. I really wanted the retractable stock version, but my best best would have been to order from Asia (adding a lot to the shipping costs). So my question is, how compatible are the retractable stocks from various brands such as ICS, G&G, CA, etc...? And if they are compatible, which have the strongest construction? I'm guessing G&G but I really don't know for sure. The reason I ask is because I'm told the SRC's are highly compatible with real steel parts, which makes me worried they won't fit with Airsoft externals.

BTW, i stumbled across the site http://www.gunsworkshop.net/ which makes their own custom MP5's that about made me wet myself. They are all based on the SRC mp5's. Nice to see them using SRC as the base model.