1.25kJ Coilgun

aznriptide859

If the zombies were coming and firearms were too difficult to obtain, i'd be fashioning a Crossbow/Catapult/Bow before that thing...

However, the fact someone has the knowledge, skills and ingenuity to make that thing amazes the hell out of me - And it definitely looks far more awesome than any other home made weapon i've seen :D

Not even close to 1.25 KJ, not even a tenth of that. A crossbow would be as/more powerfull and much faster to "charge".

Still, for something knocked up out of old mobiles and scrap... tis impressive.

Did you read the article? It is 1,25KJ on the capacitors. Thats how many joules they can store. The video also says it is 3% efficient in turning that energy into kinetic energy. Calculations put this gun more powerful than a .45 handgun. The bulletweight is just massively higher and as such, it travels slower. If he had made a smaller bullet, i bet it would be more efficient as more energy would be used to propel it to higher speeds than to accelerate that massive lump of iron.

Also, a crossbow is an old, perfected technology. This one is a new one. Bordering 50 years old. Seeing as the crossbow is more than a thousand years old, and probably older, it is a pretty bad comparison.

Did you read the article? It is 1,25KJ on the capacitors. Thats how many joules they can store. The video also says it is 3% efficient in turning that energy into kinetic energy. Calculations put this gun more powerful than a .45 handgun. The bulletweight is just massively higher and as such, it travels slower. If he had made a smaller bullet, i bet it would be more efficient as more energy would be used to propel it to higher speeds than to accelerate that massive lump of iron.

Also, a crossbow is an old, perfected technology. This one is a new one. Bordering 50 years old. Seeing as the crossbow is more than a thousand years old, and probably older, it is a pretty bad comparison.

Did YOU read the article?  It says 1.25 kJ of muzzle energy would be greater than that of a .45, and it does not release that much energy.  The comparison is that a crossbow is more efficient and is valid.  Though Id prefer a longbow myself

Did YOU read the article?  It says 1.25 kJ of muzzle energy would be greater than that of a .45, and it does not release that much energy.  The comparison is that a crossbow is more efficient and is valid.  Though Id prefer a longbow myself

I am just going to quote this.

Larsplatoon dubs it a "1.25kJ Coilgun"—that's some 78 times the amount of energy lethal to human beings—though Make points out that that's likely the capacitor's theoretical maximum output.

You are right. I misread the article, but my point still stands.

I did not say it would carry more energy. I said it would be faster. Giving the impression of more energy. Since the projectile was so slow, it lost energy way too fast because of that gigantic slug. Having a lighter projectile would mean longer range and probably more penetrating power because the speed would be that much higher.

I did not say it would carry more energy. I said it would be faster. Giving the impression of more energy. Since the projectile was so slow, it lost energy way too fast because of that gigantic slug. Having a lighter projectile would mean longer range and probably more penetrating power because the speed would be that much higher.

You obviously have only the slightest grasp of physics.

Half what you say is right, the other half is completley wrong.

Very modern. So, a relatively high voltage battery powered solenoid. We was makin this stuff up when we was kids.

Mmmm. Yes. Much more dangerous than say a,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, knicker elastic catapult? :huh:

You can tell it's powerful by the backstop,,,,,, a cardboard box! :rolleyes:

Personally I'd be more intimidated by someone holding a can of WD40 & a lighter. Or one of those 6 foot long spud guns you make with plastic piping & load up with hair spray.

Everyone should make stuff like this, it's fun but hardly home defense.

Greg.

Like that a lot. Shows up the potential in the market for these things, makes you wonder what MOD/DARPA are playing around with.

Some of my now ex colleagues were working on some quite large railguns a while back - and it wasn't just MoD paying for it either. Very, very impressive kit from the vids I got to see :)

Does anyone else feel that this is a hoax? look at the projectile hes shooting...i think this might be using compressed air, but very cool nonetheless.

It may be a hoax, after all, it is on the internet, so chances are it's total ######.

However, the projectile just looks like the push rod from the solenoid, having been roughly shaped like a bullet. He's only chucking it a few meters, breaking brittle plastic, punching thin metal & cardboard.

As said before, we were doing this sort of thing as pre teens, over 30 years ago. It's not exactly new or impressive. We used a 12v car battery & fired it at glass milk bottles. It's interesting to see that all that's changed, is the size of the power pack & the material used to pack milk. :rolleyes:

Greg.

I used to fire hard frozen oranges out of a length of drain pipe that had a plate welded over one end and a spark plug tapped into it.

Squirt of petrol, frozen orange, aim, rip the pull start off the lawn mower I cut up, BOOM.

Hell of a lot more powerful and I built it in one weekend.

Archived