hey congrats rhino... I'm a bit slow nowadays on this forum...

got to let jim do some studying and assignments. as he has an education to complete.

Sid - I feel I must agree.

I admin another (unrelated) forum and, TBH, I dread even going there now. I'm seriously considering jacking it in. Babysitting a bunch of freaks and retards on an internet forum is a thankless and unrewarding task once the brief feeling of power fades away.

I go to a chinese guitar forum ting once in a while. And suffice to say, any more reading on that site my eyes will start bleeding like Marlowe's. ;)

amongst other problems...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking of writing something hugely witty as a reply to this, but the lack of coffee today must have gone to my head.

Basically the current mods/staff have a private chinwag from time to time and watch over how people conduct themselves in the forums. People that look like they'll be good mods are then looked into and asked if they'd like to help out. Pretty much as you'd expect really. It's not like it's the masons here or something (nudge nudge wink wink, secret handshake etc)

Arnie's supercomputer character assessments - the leadership race etc... :D i.e. no kiddies

no wonder why the forum is this much better after the donations of the holics.

basically - rhino can spell and can behave in a mature way when required.

And as Arnie pointed out, Rhino is a frequent forum user.

Edited by billymak
Just wondering, how does one become a mod here?  Are they personal friends of Arnie?  Or does Arnie just appoint people arbitrarily based on their forum participation?

He does it in the reverse order of those who ask this question...

... bad luck you just got put to the back of the Q!

:blink::P:fear2::pirate:

• 1 month later...

Never going to happen ;)

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe you have to ask about how to become a Mod in order to become one?

(Watches as a hoarde of newbies all bombard R22 with pms) ^_^

Okay, first thing is - anyone PMing me asking to become a mod pretty much rules themselves out of the running there and then. 99% of the time, those that want to be a mod have no idea what is involved and certainly wouldn't be asking for the job if they knew what was involved. Ask Shao14 in a couple of months time ;)

Once again, here is how you become a mod on these boards (third time I have posted this)...

Mod selection is done according to the following...

• 1. This is Arnie's site, so he gets final say in all matters, especially the mods he chooses to trust. After all, a miffed mod could cause serious damage to the site if they wished.

2. Myself and other current mods make recommendations to Arnie, as we see more user contributions than he does (He's a busy chap y'know :) ), so any bribes can be sent to R22Master at..... ;)

3. Location of prospective mods is a consideration at the moment, but someone unsuitable won't be chosen purely because of their location or the amount of on-line time they spend. The talent scouts are head-hunting future moderators presently, with an emphasis on people that are offset from GMT by about 6 to 8 hours. Shao14 is the most recent example of this

4. Mods are chosen because they know how the site works, know the rules (or wrote them in my case :) ), have a good feel for dealing with 'grey-areas' that may cause problems but aren't strictly against forum rules, and have a friendly helpful demeanor. Being an Airsoft expert isn't essential, but it can help. Basically, it's that indefinable 'something' that makes certain users stick out as potentially good future moderators. "Rhino" and "Shao14" are classic examples of people who posess all of these qualities and that is why they have been chosen by me as this site's most recent moderators.

5. If you do become a moderator, you'll end up spending a lot less time looking at what you are interested in and a LOT of hours scouring posts throughout the forums. It can be rewarding, but it's not the power-trip some people think it is - it's hard work :blink: If I weren't a mod, I wouldn't have to be explaining site policies in this thread, making decisions on what is and isn't acceptable to post, and have a stream of unpleasant people after my blood for banning them (always happens when someone is under the delusion that sending death threads, insults, and hostile PMs is perfectly ok as long as they are the only ones doing it). ;)

IT IS A VERY DIFFICULT JOB THAT TAKES UP A LOT OF TIME. Most moderators do not enjoy the job at all once they actually have to do it.

That's the way it's done. There's no application process, but if you've got what it takes, we'll find you. :)

It is also worth noting that the way we moderate this forum is VERY different to the way a lot of other forums are moderated. Moderators do NOT get involved in slating other users, we do NOT lose our cool, we do NOT take sides in an argument unless we absolutely have to, and we uphold the forum rules even-handedly without getting dragged in to battles. Very few people can do this, but it is these qualities that make Arnie's the most popular Airsoft forum on the web. ;)

Ask Shao14 in a couple of months time ;)

Haha, I can tell you now I didn't ask for this, and it is hard work. Now I HAVE TO look into all those threads I wouldn't have otherwise. <_< Don't let me ever find out who set me up for this, or else... j/k :P

We, mods, couldn't have kept this forum being so great had there not been all the great members out there. And you don't have to be a mod to help keep the forum stay in shape. See that "Report" button? If you ever feel a thread that's posted out of place, or a breech of forum rules, don't hesitate to report it. :) And there is NOTHING wrong for a normal member to try to tell a newbie about forum rules, or to appease a heated argument before a Mod gets there although you are not in any way required to do all that.

So there's really nothing special about mods except we have the power to ban you, muhahaha. j/k again. :lol:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and the use of session cookies.