Ares aw 338 or tanaka aics?

ninjawithaAK

Basicly the ares looks 10 times nicer and seems to have solid build quality but the tanaka has 10 times as much upgrade parts ):

Would it be posible to get the good looking of the ares and the performance of the tanaka in one gun??

I don't think so, but I have not seen an ARES shoot (only read about problems). I suggest "looks" are of no relevance, when the idea, is not to be seen. I would buy the tanaka version instead and fit the VSR hop conversion, nineball rubber, 555mm inner barrel and G&G powerpack.

Good Hunting ;)

The reason why the Tanaka AICS looks bananas compared to the ARES AW338 is because AICS≠AW338. Heck, it's not even an L96 but a Remington M700 mated with a stock that only mimics the L96. Tanaka also makes an actual L96 and looks more the part only it's modeled after the .308 version so you get a slightly smaller mag; you should be comparing the ARES against this. On Tanakas performance, they're all pretty much the same with the exception of PCS equipped bolts. You'd find contradicting reviews but for the most part they're ace however require a lot of love/tuning before that happens.

I don't think so, but I have not seen an ARES shoot (only read about problems). I suggest "looks" are of no relevance, when the idea, is not to be seen. I would buy the tanaka version instead and fit the VSR hop conversion, nineball rubber, 555mm inner barrel and G&G powerpack.

Good Hunting wink.gif

well... i do have the clone form the aw338, (well g96d) and i cant nothing but recomend it, it shoot REALLY true! the ares i have never seen, but i have had atanaka, and that gun just made me ###### mad.gif

what did the tanaka do ? lmao :P

and how far do you mean by " really true" , really true to you could mean 100 feet :P

The reason why the Tanaka AICS looks bananas compared to the ARES AW338 is because AICS≠AW338. Heck, it's not even an L96 but a Remington M700 mated with a stock that only mimics the L96. Tanaka also makes an actual L96 and looks more the part only it's modeled after the .308 version so you get a slightly smaller mag; you should be comparing the ARES against this. On Tanakas performance, they're all pretty much the same with the exception of PCS equipped bolts. You'd find contradicting reviews but for the most part they're ace however require a lot of love/tuning before that happens.

is the tanaka l96 compatable with ALL the same upgrades as the AICS?

From what I recall reading in the Star/Ares aw338/dsr1/cheytac thread, the Ares AW338 is inconsistent. Some people have good results, some people have poor results like low velocity or wildly inconsistent velocity, and I think more people had poor results. With the Well AW338, the clone, I think it's actually pretty good. The externals might not be as nice as the Ares, but from what I've seen of its performance (including the one that I have), it is decent. There's a review of it over on ASR.

Currently, the only thing I've done with mine is put a Madbull 650mm barrel in it, and while I haven't done extensive testing, I did manage to get it to shoot some WE .40g BBs out to somewhere around 250-300ft (according to Google Earth) on propane. I can't really say what the exact range is because I wasn't really shooting at anything in particular at the time. While I have no idea the groupings since I was just seeing how far it could shoot in between scenarios at the last game I was at (where this gun would be well above the field limits), it can shoot moderately far, especially given that it can shoot in the ~4.5J range with a heavier BB (I've seen it hit 4.8J, 490fps with a .43g) or about an equivalent of a 700fps .20g. If that's too much, I did some testing with duster gas and got fairly consistent velocities in the 375-390fps range (or 415-420fps for the first shot after a pause) with a .20g for 120 shots before I stopped because I was decided I was wasting BBs.

Given there's really not much in the Ares/Well to upgrade beyond the barrel, bucking, nub, and possibly converting it to an external air source, with just a new bucking, new o-rings, and some tweaking, Username_Here had his Well shooting at 90+ yards. It's kind of odd, though, that Booligan in the ASR review said he was only able to get shots somewhat consistently (80%) at 160ft, though he was using a completely stock gun, much lighter BBs, and had noticeable and consistent hooking. I should stop rambling about the Well...

Short answer: The Well AW338 can shoot farther than 100ft. :P

From what I recall reading in the Star/Ares aw338/dsr1/cheytac thread, the Ares AW338 is inconsistent. Some people have good results, some people have poor results like low velocity or wildly inconsistent velocity, and I think more people had poor results. With the Well AW338, the clone, I think it's actually pretty good. The externals might not be as nice as the Ares, but from what I've seen of its performance (including the one that I have), it is decent. There's a review of it over on ASR.

Currently, the only thing I've done with mine is put a Madbull 650mm barrel in it, and while I haven't done extensive testing, I did manage to get it to shoot some WE .40g BBs out to somewhere around 250-300ft (according to Google Earth) on propane. I can't really say what the exact range is because I wasn't really shooting at anything in particular at the time. While I have no idea the groupings since I was just seeing how far it could shoot in between scenarios at the last game I was at (where this gun would be well above the field limits), it can shoot moderately far, especially given that it can shoot in the ~4.5J range with a heavier BB (I've seen it hit 4.8J, 490fps with a .43g) or about an equivalent of a 700fps .20g. If that's too much, I did some testing with duster gas and got fairly consistent velocities in the 375-390fps range (or 415-420fps for the first shot after a pause) with a .20g for 120 shots before I stopped because I was decided I was wasting BBs.

Given there's really not much in the Ares/Well to upgrade beyond the barrel, bucking, nub, and possibly converting it to an external air source, with just a new bucking, new o-rings, and some tweaking, Username_Here had his Well shooting at 90+ yards. It's kind of odd, though, that Booligan in the ASR review said he was only able to get shots somewhat consistently (80%) at 160ft, though he was using a completely stock gun, much lighter BBs, and had noticeable and consistent hooking. I should stop rambling about the Well...

Short answer: The Well AW338 can shoot farther than 100ft. tongue.gif

thank you :D

the goal is though for it to be as good or better capabilities as the tanaka :P

at this point im considering a tanaka l96 but i still need to know if all the parts are compatable

Short answer: The Well AW338 can shoot farther than 100ft. :P

Well AW338 > ARES AW338. Finish dosen't seem to be as nice, but I've never had an ARES to compare. The Well shoots very well with a few upgrades and some tuning, I've seen (from the firing line) and heard very different things about the ARES which leads me to assume there there are some tolerance issues and lack of QC for them at the factory.

However I've had a Pre-Ban M700 that was an amazing replica, I wish I had never sold it, but I don't play with my snipers, I just plink in my backyard and it towards a good trade.

Archived