Sig pictures....FAR TOO BIG!

ok well I have come across several sig pictures which are greater than 400 x 100 and they are clutter up the pags and must be a pain for 56k users.

Examples:

judgeman

filler_bunny.gif

JJBennett

JJBennett.jpg

Ghost_Rider

ghostridernew.gif

Romanowski

letem.jpg

all taken from one thread: http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...topic=18982&hl=

Anyway you get the idea!

McMadkat

I will agree with the last one, but as long as they're basically in a 100X400 area it's not that bad, is it :huh:

I don't see how a few extra pixels, and especially on the horizontal axis, clutter pages or cause problems for 56k'ers to be honest. The first one is smaller in filesize than your avatar ;)

TBH, it's not the size of sig's that kills me, it's the animated ones.

Forget who but there's somebody who's got an animated Biohazard sign as his avatar and an animated AK47 as his sig.

I'm not exaggerating but it can take nearly a minute before all the frames of his sig have loaded, even if the rest of the page has finished loading.

Romanowski and JJBennett's sig are IMHO too big (in physical d/l size). The sig limits are there to ensure that things aren't to slow for anyone of 56k. Even if a sig is within the recommended size limits it could be slow if animated or highly detailed.

I PM users or edit out large sigs to let people know if/when I see them. It is worth remembering thought aht sigs only load once for a user, and should be cached for a user in their browser so shouldn't slow things down that much.

Yeah, when I see a sig image that is too big, or an animated sig image, I check it for filesize and deal with it as necessary. People are reminded to keep their signature within size limits (400 pixels wide by 100 pixels high) and as small as possible file-size-wise (i.e. less than 100KB). ;)

I have to admit that I think 100KB is way too high a limit for sigs. I do think that the screen size could be adjusted somewhat - 460px wide is pretty much a "standard" as it's the same size as banners and 100px is probably about right for the height. It's no biggie if a sig goes over that for me though.

/me wonders how big (KB) his own sig is.

To be completely truthful i dont see the slightly oversized (dimensions or file size) to be the problem, but more the excessive amount of quotes used as part of some users signatures. In addition to the signatures, it means a hell of a lot of scrolling sometimes :mellow:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...