AK to RPK conversion...

Docv400

Yes, but it's a minor difference... if he starts with steel body from RSOV+any kind of steel foldable stock... it can be welded and easily machined, than spiater(spiater can't be welded as I know).

the locking mech is at the back of an RPKS reciever, unlike a standard AKS reciever where it's located at the front on the side.

i did see someone make a decent compromise by using the push button release from an AK74M polymer stock, you still end up with a hole in the side of the stock that way though.

awesome work doc, interesting you decided to scratch build it all. well done!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks.I don't like spending money on things I can make myself...especially when I don't have the money in the first place tongue.gif

Plus, as anyone who's made even the smallest part will tell you, there's a lot of job satisfaction involved wink.gif

One thing I've not mentioned so far, that's the flash-hider options.

I'm veering towards the simple cone type...

RPKF-H.jpg

I'd like the gun to be as loud as possible, for the (admittedly fairly mild) intimidation factor, and I think that might help a bit.

In the 'Cold War' events it'll be up against an air-powered MG42, with it's loud and menacing clattering :icon_eek:

Made a start on the Bi-Pod...

RPKBipod1.jpg

Just 'roughed out' so far.

The legs are milled out on the inner sides to form the 'U' section.

Lots of measuring, re-measuring...then more measuring to come (most likely with some mild head-scratching action going on as well).

I don't want to mess up the pivot point or the angle on the front/upper end of the legs after all that machining dry.gif

Out of curiosity, I tried looking up for a couple parts which you could have bought:

http://www.rusmilitary.com/html/c-deact_accessories.htm

*sees prices on rear sight and bipod :no2:

Great job on the bipod! Will you be thinning out the block attached to the barrel because the real ones never looked sturdy to me.

I could have bought all the parts ready-made, or a ready-made RPK for that matter, if I had the money (actually, I still wouldn't have, I love making things tongue.gif)

I thought you of all people would understand that RC wink.gif

may i Recomend....

Wheater/Age the wood

Russian NVS(night optic)

maybe night sights(if your the guy that thinks optics are annoying)

MAG drum mag(156 at ASGI)for the "ima *fruitcage* you up long time" look

Of course you may...

I will be 'beating the wood up' a bit, it's just oiled with dark Mahogany Danish Oil at the moment.

NVS? Way too pricey/bulky.

Night Sights? What did you have in mind?

I have a drum mag, check out my third post.

I'm going to convert an AK mag into one of the '40-rounders' as well.

Same here.

I tried making the lower front hand-guard retainer, it looks simple enough, but it's a real b##ch to get the shape correct on the Mill without a nice big rotary table, and I don't have one...yet.

I could do it by hand, or fabricate one out of sheet steel, but it's a lot of work for such a small part that should be fairly cheap to buy.

That bleeding eyes thread always makes me laugh...and cringe quite often toowaggle.gif

I've done a bit more to the Bi-Pod now.

The mounting is secured to the barrel by a 4mm grub screw, with the threads removed from the exposed length.

This stops the mounting moving rearwards, but still allows for a few degrees of swivel either way.

The pivot rod is 5/16" Silver Steel, and the pivot pins are turned down screws, both ends sit flush with the leg's surface.

Just the feet and the spring mounting to do now, and the final finishing...

RPKBipod3.jpg

Edit; And yes, I realise the block is on back to front in the pics...I was tired... ;)

• 7 months later...

What do you use for bonding Ally flat sheet together? (in reference to the feet for the bipod) How strong is it? I'm pretty good at welding ally but this looks like a cleaner result with less warping for the simpler jobs :)

For this particular job I used Scotch-Weld DP-100 FR structural adhesive.

Not sure of it's ultimate strength, as those plates added to the base plates are really only cosmetic, with no real load on them.

This is the data sheet...

SWDP100FR

The adhesive you need will always depend on what you're bonding together, and what loads will be on the part(s) when in use, obviously.

I wouldn't, for example, rely on adhesive alone for bonding a stock mount to a receiver.

Surface preparation is very important too.

Try to stick very smooth, uncleaned surfaces together and you'll most likely not have much luck.

De-grease and roughen the surfaces however, and you'll get really good results.

For this particular job I used Scotch-Weld DP-100 FR structural adhesive.

Not sure of it's ultimate strength, as those plates added to the base plates are really only cosmetic, with no real load on them.

This is the data sheet...

SWDP100FR

Thanks for that. I have a project in the works that i will have to make out of aluminium, i was going to rivet the plates together but i wanted to add a little something between the plates just to give it a bit of extra bond, i really didnt want to have to weld the whole thing together :)

• 8 months later...

Finally found a little time to make something for myself...

MK2 stock, closer to the real thing this time...

RPKSt3.jpg

Simplified the fixing to the receiver on this one, single 4mm screw through the top this time, and added some Brass 'pins'.

Made the spring mountings for the Bipod as well.

RPKBP1-1.jpg

Just need to make the leg-latch now, and build the gearbox, and wire it up, and make a cleaning rod for the Bi-Pod to latch onto, and...and, that's it I think!

• 8 months later...

Archived