Black Bear Airsoft Shadow Mask Impressions

First things first, I want to thank ACMgear.com for their good communication and shipping times, but now, lets go to the important matters

BBA-Shadow-1.jpg

Materials

This is what the shop says about the materials used.

High Grade Low carbon steelmesh (Steel strength is superior to other China made masks, this will endure the test of time!)

Powder coated paint that is harmless to the skin and non-toxic which is industrially processed at extreme high heats as +230°C

Adhesives used: Glue that isnon-toxic and has melting point of +90°C with resistance to heat more than+40°C

After getting the mask out of the box, the first thing coming to your mind is "quality", im not an expert on materials, but mesh is hard and slightly bendable, fabric is rugged but soft to touch, Velcro is nicely stitched(not perfect, but nice), you will not find plastic in the mask, just strong metal and fabric parts.

The used glue sticks fabric and mesh as if they were a one piece part making the masks safer for the wearer.

Elastic fabric is soft but rugged, and will not deform after long use times as cheapalternatives do.

I am stillwaiting for them to answer me if the metal is rust resistant in case a BB chips the paint off somewhere.

Comfort

Yes, mesh is harder and more difficult to bend in order to fit your face, it is the price to pay for higher protection rates, but it will NOT make them uncomfortable at all, just need to fiddle with them a bit before skirmishing.

I willexplain myself, I have a round face, so the mask is a bit tight at first, but the double strap design lets me loose a bit said straps so the mask is not too tight to my face but keeping it firmly in place, making it comfortable and safe.

One more thing we have to keep in mind that these masks are a bit like a new pair of shoes, you need to use them a bit so they adapt to your shape, making them perfectly comfortable.

I will not extend myself in details like not fogging your googles (I tested it during apretty hot sunny morning) or deforming your voice while using coms, or letting you breathe like you were not wearing anything... those are benefits we all know about mesh masks.

Resistance to BBs

Unfortunatly my stronguest weapon shoots at 340FPS, so I cant make a real and proper test by myself. Although I found this video in youtube which I think describes properly how hard is to pierce this mask and how much can withstand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MUZ-ZFt0Bghttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MUZ-ZFt0Bg

Improvements

This is where the mask shines with very simple improvements, adding a second strap, a bit wider than original and positioning both in angle, your ear is free from hassle, fitment and comfort are dramatically improved

The Good

Price may be low, but quality is top notch, rugged, comfortable, durable, reliable...

The Bad

Can't find anything bad about them

The Ugly

You need to fiddle with it a bit to adjust it to your face in a comfortable way and wear the mask some time so it bends to your face, nothing bad as you only need to doit once.

Paint is abit glossy, it wont´t give your position away, but some people dislike glossy finishings.

Final verdict

Low Price,high quality masks which surpass the original model at a fraction of the price,what more can we ask for?

More pics

Front

BBA-Shadow-3.jpg

Strapsconfig closeup

BBA-Shadow-strap-close.jpg

Mesh andfabric closeup

BBA-Shadow-mesh-close.jpg

Input and constructive criticism are welcome :)

Edited by Isamu

Good review. Looks like a great replacement for the Brass Guard mask, with a lot less hassle of acquiring them. I like the new strap setup too. One thing to watch for though, is that since they used a glue to attach the webbing along the edge of the mask, if the mask is exposed to too much heat, (like left in the car on a sunny day), it could conceivably melt the glue and allow the webbing to peel off. That's what happened with one of my Brass Guard masks. I'm curious to see how yours holds up over time.

Thanks for the review and for sharing!

Have to admit im very careful with my gear and dont abuse of it, so my mask may last more than the one from someone not so careful as me, but the shops states that the glue's melting point is 90º... dont know if the trunk of a car can get so hot... not a driver myself tongue.gif

Thanks for the input :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I got one of those, I think they are lacking some foam around the top of the mask to off set it a little.

The brassguard masks dont have foam on them either.

I found this comparision, dont know if its been shown before :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MUZ-ZFt0Bg

Edited by Scout03

I used that mask at a game at Area 51 a few weeks ago and it was a revelation. Its seriously close quarters battle with 350 fps guns and I saw several nasty face wounds that day!

I used this mask with a pair of ESS V12 goggles and was incredibly happy. I added a little insulation self adhesive foam at the nose bride for extra comfort which took seconds to do and then began adjusting the mask to my face type and goggle choice. I will admit it took about 2 hours to get it feeling just right. Its a careful combination of firm fit without obstructing the goggle choice etc.

I would stress though that its important that the use of the mask and your eye protection do not clash. It might sound obvious but I saw players using a mesh lower mask and the goggles or shooting glasses were worn over the mask, not under it. I make sure my mask nose bride is pressing my V12's onto my face. Lightly but firmly. It adds another level of retention to my goggles and also helps prevent a low shot getting under my goggle seal, which I have seen happen before. I am still finding that sweet spot of course between firmness and being a bit uncomfortable. Though after a full days airsofting the worst I can say is my nose bridge felt slightly sore.

I found I was able to get a fair to good cheek weld with the mask after a lot of fiddling. Even with my RD P90, I was able to get a full sight picture once I had spent the time adjusting and perfecting.

My mate bought one in black but within 5 mins of using his, he had to take it off. I did warn him that its infinatly adjustable and requires a lot of fiddling to get the perfect fit. I found my play style changed a lot once I got used to the protection this mask gave me. I was more confident and did not flinch away when storming corridors or rooms. Normally I am a woodland player and even then I have had some close calls. In CQB, in the past, I was at a significant disadvantage to other players using decent face masks as I would panic when at point blank and turn away rather than risk a face shot.

This mask is a game changer for me and as I use the mask more I am fine tuning it to my face and it feels better each time.

Oddy discusses the black bear masks in this video and I agree with him 100%. They are a quality product and surprisingly reasonably priced, especially after seeing what the brassguard ones went for.

All in all I would say if you airsoft and don't use a mask like this, you are bonkers. However if you do get one, be prepared to do some work getting them just right.

nice video, Ive been using mesh goggles for about 5 years or so, the ones I have always used are chainsaw goggles and have never had a problem with fragments of shattered BB's coming through. Need to pick me up one of these lower face masks now, Ill have to hunt down a airsoft shop in cork while Im over there for xmas :D

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How is this holding up for everyone? I'm thinking about getting a couple and I'd like to hear if these are holding up well, not unstitching itself or ungluing from the mesh.

Last time I tried to order these masks from ACMgear, the paypal check out process kept failing on me. If you guys give this the thumbs up still, I'll give it another shot.

Mine is holding nicely without taking excesive care of it, in fact it only leaves the bag to be used at the game and be thrown into the bag for the way back home. Cant speak on behalf of other owners thoughbut im pretty sure they will tell a similar story :)

Awesome. I'm going to place an order then. A few of my teammates wanted one too, so I'll be getting a few for us for an upcoming MOUT event.