Quick Review: DealExtreme CREE XP-G R5 Bulb for Flashlights

I seriously could not have made a worse title, since it's a no-name Chinese brand bulb.

Product in question: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.32953

This will be a quick review of this item, so it won't be formal and will be pretty quick and succinct. Review will be posted on multiple forums as well.

IMG_0944.jpg

Everyone knows that Surefire's lights are awesome - I use a Nitrolon G2 on my M733 BHD build. However everyone also knows that Surefire's light bulbs aren't exactly the most powerful - their cheaper models all run on older incandescent bulbs, while other manufacturers (such as Streamlight) have moved onto CREE LED's. I wanted something a bit brighter than the 65 lumen incandescent bulb (P60) that came with my G2, and decided to get this as a suggestion on CandlePowerForums (great place for those interested in lights and anything in that area in general). Cost is $14 shipped (free air mail), and arrives in 2-3 weeks.

This bulb is meant to drop into all 6P/9P-type flashlights. The site rates this at 320lumens, but since it's a variable input bulb (anywhere from 3.7v to 18v), I'm going to guess they simply advertised the highest rating. Since most 6P lights run at 6V (with 2 x 3V CR123A batteries), this one runs at the low end a bit.

IMG_0945.jpg

Build quality is pretty good - the obvious solder points worry me a bit. The R5 is noticeable longer than the P60 (I'll discuss that later), but overall out of the box (or, in my case, Ziploc bag) impressions are good.

IMG_0946.jpg

Reflector is clear and well angled. Most of the R5's larger size comes from the elongated reflector.

IMG_0947.jpg

IMG_0948.jpg

As I said before, the bulb is longer - which leads to problems. On my G2 the front bezel at the tightest setting won't lock all the way to the base. Kind of a bummer, but it doesn't bug me that much unless it starts raining in the middle of a game. I read on CPF there was a fix for this to shorten the bulb length, but I'm too lazy to find it right now. Maybe the bulb will fit completely in flashlights with longer bezels - not sure.

Now, for intensity comparisons. I do not have a light intensity meter, but I'm sure the pictures can show a difference.

I did two sets of pictures. Both were done with a Canon Rebel XT DSLR with a 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens.

First set:

Manual setting

f/3.5

1/50 shuttder speed

P60:

IMG_5759.jpg

R5:

IMG_5760.jpg

Second set:

Manual setting

f/4.5

1/60 shutter speed

P60:

IMG_5761.jpg

R5:

IMG_5762.jpg

Pictures say all - it's brighter, illuminates a larger area, and, in concept, will last longer (P60's are rated for 65 lumens for 60 minutes). Mind you this is probably even brighter than the replacement LED bulb Surefire offers (P60L), and that thing costs $50 alone.

In review, for $14 you can't get a better bulb. I know CPF did a more extensive review of the R2 (a little lower rated, yet also highly praised CREE LED bulb), but I feel for the money (and a bit of wait time), this bulb blows the stock Surefire bulb away.

Questions/comments are welcome.

Edited by aznriptide859
  • 2 weeks later...

Outstanding performance! Thanks for posting, I was planning to lathe my own tac light, but lacked a economic source for high performance LEDs. I myself am impressed by the performance of my 90 Lumen Coleman Cree LED light.

So how is the customer service of DealExtreme? Do they take those prepaid Visa Cards they have at Walmart?

Any idea of the throw (range) of the R5 unit? meters/feet at 'usable' range would be great!

Sorry, didn't see this.

I used this at Fulda Gap this year for the night game. Two of the major bases are about 200-250ft away. Of course most AEG's can't reach that range, but my light was definitely able to focus and illuminate targets 150-200ft away.