G&G SG552 Review

• 1 month later...

@ spetsnazdave87 : Great review. I've owned this rifle since this summer actually but have been to lazy to write a review on it. I ended up with the same pros and cons as you except for the MAG midcap issue (someone described me the same thing as IronOverlord as far as modding this mag goes), and it's always nice to read other people's reviews. I'm about to do a video review though and I will post it here as soon as it's done. As for the battery, G&G makes its own type of LiPo and I think you can find the same model on eliteairsoftbatteries.com. I'm going for that and I'm first and foremost removing this odd large Tamyia connector and I'll replace it with Deans connectors + mosfet w/polyfuse.

@ Kay : You shouldn't have to do anything more than removing the front takedown pin. It might be hard to do because between the upper and lower receiver, it's a tight fight, especially when the gun is new and you're disassembling it for the first time. I'm not sure you have to do this but if you fold the stock, you'll see a screw on the upper receiver. Try unscrewing it but again, if I remember correctly, it's not actually keeping the upper receiver attached to the lower but give it a try. Another tip would be having to give some gentle hammer strikes on the front sight to help the upper receiver come off.

Haven't tried it myself but I think ICS' model has one or two things going for it. The quick disassembly body is a really neat feature but hum... actually it's the only good thing I can bring up heh. I ended up getting the G&G model myself just because it's G&G and I prefer green furniture over black, externally.

G&G SIGs are way better. I have a G&G 552 and a G&G 550. Both are spot on identical to the real steel.

I have a real steel Swiss Arms Black Special. (a civilian, semi only version of SIG550)

And G&G nails it... ICS is a distant 2nd behind G&G..

Is the ICS not as identical to the real steel? Why are the G&G's "way better"? What exactly are the differences between the G&G and the ICS? Has anyone actually done a comparison? I'm really interested to see before I decide on one and I want some objective information beforehand.

Edited by Noveske

Is the ICS not as identical to the real steel? Why are the G&G's "way better"? What exactly are the differences between the G&G and the ICS? Has anyone actually done a comparison? I'm really interested to see before I decide on one and I want some objective information beforehand.

I have a friend who retails airsoft. He carries the ICS brand. He also has a real steel Swiss Arms Black Special. (SIG 550) And he has seen and handled my G&G SIG550

and he said the folding stock, and handguard material isn't as good. The receiver material isn't as good, and IIRC he said it looked cast. The Pistol grip is oversized on the ICS as well.

It was not as solid feeling. Some wobbles. He said it was good but not near as good as the G&G

G&G has a stamped steel receiver. The stock and handguard material is spot on. The pistol grip is the correct size. Detail is impeccable. No contest.

I have a friend who retails airsoft. He carries the ICS brand. He also has a real steel Swiss Arms Black Special. (SIG 550) And he has seen and handled my G&G SIG550

and he said the folding stock, and handguard material isn't as good. The receiver material isn't as good, and IIRC he said it looked cast. The Pistol grip is oversized on the ICS as well.

It was not as solid feeling. Some wobbles. He said it was good but not near as good as the G&G

G&G has a stamped steel receiver. The stock and handguard material is spot on. The pistol grip is the correct size. Detail is impeccable. No contest.

That pretty much sums it all.

Indeed, I can confirm that the pistol grip is the same size as I too own a real steel SIG 550 (Fass 90 - short for "Fusil d'assaut 90"). I got it free because you can take it home when you finish your military service :D I can also add that the upper receiver of the G&G SIG 552 has a slight greenish shade compared to the lower receiver and to the whole grey body of the RS SIG. Also, the green furnitures are darker and less shiny than their RS counterpart, which I actually prefer.

Stay tuned, winter holiday is just around the corner and that will give me plenty of time to do a video review ;)

Edited by Marginal

Do you notice that on the PE90/Fass90 the green pistol grips are lighter in color, than the green color of the folding stocks and handguards??

I have noticed this with every Swiss Arms rifle's green furniture I have seen, and it bugs me. :P It looks more Ranger Green.

I have a spare green pistol grip too, and it is the same lighter shade of green.

I wish I could find a pistol grip that matches the color of the folding stock and handguards.

>:\

It never caught my attention but now that you mentioned it, I checked and it's also true on my rifle. I guess you have to paint it with the appropriate color.

Really. I guess they didn't match the color very well in the factory. I wonder why they didn't notice that??? And there must be some out there that are a better color match. They couldn't have made all the grips in one batch.

If you ever locate some pistol grips, the correct matching color, let me know. :D

They couldn't have made all the grips in one batch.

If you ever locate some pistol grips, the correct matching color, let me know. :D

Well, maybe they did :rofl:

I don't think I'll come across another SIG anytime soon until maybe in marche, where I have to go back to the army to do my repetition course. I'll try to think of that but I guess no one will be able to tell me why is that.

• 1 month later...

So, how is the gun doing so far?

I'm kind of interested in getting one, even-though the 551 (like this, but with standard barrel) is my favourite sig. Would love to know how they are holding up before investing.

Wish there were bigger mags though, 100 rounds is ok, but I'd be more pleased with a 130-140 mid-cap. Well, at least they are cheap.

Edited by Zombie00
  • 3 weeks later...

So, how is the gun doing so far?

I'm kind of interested in getting one, even-though the 551 (like this, but with standard barrel) is my favourite sig. Would love to know how they are holding up before investing.

Wish there were bigger mags though, 100 rounds is ok, but I'd be more pleased with a 130-140 mid-cap. Well, at least they are cheap.

Hey, that 551 pic shows it with a PMAG? Is that a RS gun?

I thought the 556 was the one using standard M4/Pmag mags...

Hey, that 551 pic shows it with a PMAG? Is that a RS gun?

I thought the 556 was the one using standard M4/Pmag mags...

Yes it is RS.... that is a 556 lower on a 551 upper by the looks of it. There is a company in Canada making the RS lower receivers, so I know there is at least one make of lower reciever that fits with a Swiss upper.

I don't believe the airsoft versions are interchangeable.

Allrighty, video review coming shortly. I think I'll shoot again the accuracy test because I'm not happy with it right now. At the moment of filming this, I realized the sights were not zeroed and I didn't have any tools with me to adjust them. I'll be editing the other parts of my review in the meantime so stay tuned, I'll let you know when it's done.