Benelli M1014

Schaap

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UPDATES

Everyone loves them, right?

The drawings for the picatinny rail are almost finished. Oh gosh, if only someone with a real Benelli could give me some measurements...

railc.jpg

I finished the front of the receiver too, so I was able to cycle the internals on gas.

The shells eject nicely, so that that's one concern less.

I used the original Maruzen magazine tube (but reversed, lol!) to check the alignment of the internals and the magazine tube, which turned out to be quite good.

The only down side is that I'll have to use a reamer on the hole to make it perfectly round, because my milling machine isn't accurate enough for this...

Thanks again for checking out this project!

I have a quick little question for you. I am currently getting a broken (the seals blew somewhere, I'll check it out thoroughly before buying) M1100 for $100 w/ 30-odd shells and a bandolier. So I am definitely getting ready for this project.

Unfortunately, one of the previous owners used a pipe cutter to cut down the barrel and mag tube length. Since the mag tube has been shortened, how would this affect my being able to use your impending kit?

Also, is it possible to use the E1/CAW M1014 for the other external donor parts? As I know the overall quality and level of finishing is miles better, and if I am gonna dump a ton of money into making this shotgun look tits, I want to do it right (having owned a DE, I HATE the quality of the pump and stock, not to mention the craptasticness of the barrel and sights, etc).

Lastly, though I believe you somewhat answered this question, I have heard of Maruzen M1100s being a ridiculously flawed system, spending more time in the shop than on the field, and if I find that certain parts are defective, do you think you could fairly easily (since you have an M1100 to use as reference material, I figure doing the CAD work would be easier by far, though still time consuming and pretty expensive I would imagine) machine suitably reinforced and properly made replacements?

Vercingetorix, the magazine tube is proprietary to the kit/project, so that should be no issue at all.

If I have to judge by the few disassembly photos of the CAW I've seen, it might actually fit.

The barrel should be no problem. Worst case scenario would be that the size of the "barrel cut out" has to be slightly modified. (orange on attached render)

post-27570-12889552044616_thumb.jpg

Preferably, the original CAW magazine tube should be somewhere around 25mm thick

The original CAW receiver would have to be around 39mm thick to fit the handguard and grip.

If there would be small differences between the DE and CAW pistolgrip, I think it would result in the grip just being a little less snug around the triggerguard / receiver... There is no way to be 100% sure, though...

I can't think of that many mechanical parts to fail, if Maruzen owners have experiences/suggestions for parts, please contact me!

The M1100 system, while it might at first look scary, is actually pretty clever and simple.

If the piston head tears, it can be replaced with a M92-compatible one.

The extractor wears down, but can be fixed as Username_Here suggests on this forum. I've looked into maching the whole pseudo-carrier, but it would be pretty hard to do..

If something would happen to the plastic (nozzle?) blow-back system, it would indeed be hard to fix. But I haven't heard problems with that so far.

--

Thanks Infinity.

I'm using Autodesk Inventor for the CAD work and VisualMill for the CAM part.

While it might not be the best, it is the only thing affordable...

Any details of the extractor mod? I assume it requires a drill and tap/die set because it uses a cut up screw or something similar?

I don't have a drill press unfortunately, so if it requires one I am SOL. However, I have all the hand tools, dremel, drill and just about enough skill to be able to mod things like the barrel to fit with this kit if I were to go with a CAW (if I can find one cheap locally I will pick one up ASAP), so if that is all that is required, plus some knowledge, to get an M1100 running smoothly on external CO2 or HPA, I cannot wait to get started.

...to get an M1100 running smoothly on external CO2 or HPA

I think an external rig would be the smartest/easiest way to go. I'm still looking into how to fit the Maruzen gas mags.

This is the modification as described by Username_Here:

Basically a hole that covers the extractor is drilled right over it to remove the molded pot metal lump called an extractor, the hole is then threaded, a steel screw is screwed in, cut flush on the outside of the bolt, and then on the inside ground into the triangle shape of the original extractor.

If in the event brass shell lips could deform steel screws and it were to need replacing, all you would have to do is unscrew it and replace it with a new screw. A good 5 minutes of work.

I've seen/read about a similar fix using a piece of bent brass.

I cannot wait to get started.

Don't worry, so do I...

Yep, shell carriers are prone to snapping, it usually happens with a mis-feed.

If the retaining latches are worn, they can allow the brass of the next shell through while loading the one before it. The carrier catches on this, and can snap.

They are cast from rubbish pot metal. If you can manufacture these, and for the m870 (which is slightly different), you may become even more popular! I need an 870 carrier... modding one From an 1100 at the moment.

Wow, I didn't know it was such a common problem; I've only read about one case.

It definitely sounds like something worth my attention.

I had made scans of the original shell carrier, but fabricating one was merely a fantasy of mine.

I'll look into this ASAP and let you guys know.

How much would you be looking for kit, I would be interested depending on price.... I was looking into getting another 1100 (I had one I ran on 75psi CO2 for about 500 rounds with no issues but sold) and this would be a nice add on. At the least I would be interested in the stronger parts like the shell carrier.

Schaap you should look into a 3d laser scanner to reverse engineer some of these components

http://www.creaform3d.com/en/handyscan3d/products/default.aspx

@shmook: is the 870 carrier very different than the 1100 one? Thanks for the offer!

@Username_Here: you'll be the first in line to try one...

@frogfish: I have no idea how much it would cost. The carrier and other spares could be pretty cheap if demand is high enough.

Well, I started drawing on something that should look like a shell carrier:

carriere.jpg

First of all, it is made of sheet metal (1 or 1.5mm thick, aluminum probably, stainless is too hard).

Secondly, it is modeled after the Benelli carrier, taking into account all clearances and such of the Maruzen.

This will also fit the original Maruzen M1100... or at least, it should.

It's not finished and the measurements are probably still off, but I'm trying to finish this before the end of the week.

I'll have the piece rapid prototyped to actually see if the shells feed fine. If they do, I'll make a mold to stamp these things into shape (after milling blanks, that is)... First time for everything!

cheers for being awesome!

the 870 has a couple of cut-outs, but is the same basic shape as the 1100. i will put a pic or two up to show you what i mean in a couple of days :)

as for pressing them from sheet metal, i didnt think one could, due to the complexities of the design. i work with sheet metal, but not in the shop, and had considered it, but didnt think i could get all of the detail. please, pleasw prove me wrong, as your craftsmanship far, far outweighs mine!

once again, thatnks for taking the time to do all of this. i may even buy another maruzen shotty now!

Shmook, thank you so much. Very motivational!

The original design is far to complex to stamp. That is why I chose to redesign it.

The die/punch for stamping should be pretty straight forward, but indeed, still a worthy challenge.

I'll have a prototype made in both 1.5mm and 1.0mm thick (the original is 1.0mm)

The final will probably be 1.0mm, as this would be easier to stamp.

Sheet metal is far stronger then die cast pot metal anyway.

The final design (render is of the 1.5mm one):

carrier1.jpg

If anyone wants to order a plastic prototype for testing/fun/paperweight/.. please contact me before monday!

Unfortunately, these will not be strong enough for full use.

I would be needing one of course, but I don't really quite understand the purpose in wasting the money on something that we already know won't last :P

Due to the way I designed my M1014 (Very Hastily) it is not the easiest to disassemble and reassemble, so once you have one out of some metal I will definitely be interested in one :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hurray!

Sorry it took me so long, but the prototypes arrived today!

I haven't had a lot of time to check the proper function, but when I cycle it by hand, it seems to load the shells perfectly.

I'll try to cycle it on gas the next couple of days. I sure hope the prototype holds up long enough to proof this piece actually works.

Thanks again guys,

I've tested the prototype carrier more decently the past few days.

To my surprise, the prototype seems to hold up pretty good for such a weak material.

Anyway, it's a good thing I made the prototype, because there were a few design errors that needed fixing.

carrier.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Missing Ethics: the M1100 is indeed a very nice shotgun and the only one in its kind!

Sorry it's been so long since my last reply;

due to my studies, I won't have time to physically work on the project until the end of January.

As I've said before, the first shell carrier had some design issues that needed to be corrected before I could design a mold.

A second, revised version has been 3D-printed and should arrive on Monday.

Vercingetorix has been so kind to volunteer (I kinda made him :P) on testing the new prototype. If it functions as good as the original one (apart from snapping, that is) production planning can begin. Those of you that are familiar with metal working will know that this is no easy task.

rev1carrier.jpg

As for the rest of the M1014 project:

- I've contacted a machine shop to fabricate a magazine tube; I hope this will arrive here before the end of February.

- The 'receiver cover' has been redesigned to make machining easier. I'm hoping to do this piece in February too.

- Making the picatinny rail is something complex and needs fairly accurate machining. I've got a source for aluminum extrusion that has a profile close to the Benelli rail (EGW).

It won't be that cheap (=ACM), but it will be in compliance to MIL-STD-1913.

For stamping the carrier, could i make a simple suggestion? Same as how real ones are made, use a thinner steel, but get it heat treated, so effectively your using carbon spring steel in its annealed sheet form, stamp your parts, then get them heat treated for wear resistance, etc.

Archived