Geardo

ColDaz

Hey,

Just wondering what the actual definition of a 'Geardo' was? I have meant to start a thread about this for a while, because it's been bugging me.

Someone who buys only really expensive stuff cause it's what so and so uses or will last forever wheras cheaper stuff will fall apart?

Someone who buys too much stuff to even use/carry it?

I'm confuseled, so please, explain.

Your Resident Sith Lord,

Daz

Someone addicted to buying real-deal gear, I guess.

Nothing else will do - it'll fall apart, or look wrong, or even (shock horror) cost half as much ;)

Geardos usually acrue stupid amounts of stupidly expensive kit, but I consider myself a geardo and so far I'm working on finishing only my first real 'impression'.

That being the final part of the puzzle - most geardos get the stuff so that they cam imitate a certain unit, although I say most as some don't. Whatever floats your boat, really.

Reasons for buying the stuff vary too - I personally do it because I began getting annoyed with low-quality cheap stuff.

Agreed.

"Look, I have a real M12 holster!" does not make you a geardo.

To be a geardo, you really have to buy exclusively real-deal gear, apart from when that's just totally unfeasable (e.g. real-deal FSBE vests are impossible to come by).

See also: 'Gear queer'.

I think there's some confusion between 'geardo' and 'wannabe' here (or 'mall warrior' as the Yanks call them).

A geardo is somebody who appreciates the finer aspects of gear. A wannabe is a geardo, but a geardo is not always a wannabe. A lot of real operators are geardos, and mod their kit and buy the best shiznit to keep their edge.

People who dress up like the real deal but aren't are a separate entity in and of themselves. A visit to the geardo.com forums will show an awful lot of people related to the armed services talking about the hottest new 3-day ruck, or what they've done to their plate-carrier to make it more comfy. There aren't pictures of people dressed up in all the kit playing airsoft. Don't confuse the two.

Military Morons:

I also coined the word 'geardo' in June of 2002 on an Assaultweb.net thread to describe someone who had a passion for Cordura and webbing, as I didn't like the term 'gear queer'. I'm proud to say that the term stuck and is currently in use by geardos all over now :-)

Archived