KWA KMP9 Review.

My apologies if this isn't in the right section.

KWA KMP9 Review

By: Wert

Lets get started with some real world history of the MP9, for those who are interested: The Brügger & Thomet MP9 (Machine Pistol 9mm) is a machine pistol designed and manufactured by Brügger & Thomet of Switzerland. The MP9 is a selective-fire 9x19mm Parabellum caliber machine pistol. It uses 15, 20, 25, 30 round detachable box magazines. The MP9 is a development of the Steyr TMP. Differences from the TMP include a stock that folds to the right side of the weapon, an integrated Picatinny rail, and a new trigger safety. There is also a semi-automatic version called the TP9, which is similar to the SPP in that it lacks a foregrip and instead has a short picatinny rail.

While I am at in I am going to do a quick review of KWA, the company, as a whole.

Customer Service: To be honest I am going to have to say that KWA has the best customer service in an airsoft manufacture that I have seen. A point that I really like about their customer service is the KWA Help Desk where you can troubleshoot problems, create tickets, and view articles that can help you out with whatever you need (Link to helpdesk: http://www.kwausa.com/support/). If you need to talk to someone you can call, email, or fax KWA. KWA says that they pride themselves with exceptional customer service, which is clearly deserved.

Product Quality (opinion): Now, I have used three of KWAs products, all of which I was extremely happy with. KWA always uses good quality materials in the making of their replicas. The internals are also ahead of the competition. Remember, this is still my opinion.

Shipping: The KMP9 was shipped the next day and got to my house the day after that, it was very fast and efficient. I live close to where it was shipped from but you still can't beat shipping the next day.

The Gun

!What You Have Been Waiting For!

Box: The KMP9 comes in a high quality box that reads "KWA Engineered to Outperform.

Picture of box

What's inside the box: Inside the box is the gun, a 48 round magazine, a warranty sheet, an operator's manual, a questionnaire, a bag of unknown bbs, a hop adjustment tool, 100% silicone oil, and a KWA sticker.

Sticker: Nothing special about the sticker, although it is cool to have and not a bad freebie.

Sticker

100% Silicone Oil: Very important and often overlooked, this will keep your replica running like new and clean as a whistle. Although one should watch for over lubing, this KMP9 comes with a good amount of factory lube so you really shouldn't need to use this all too much.

Silicone Oil

Hop Adjustment Tool: Obviously another important item, this is used to adjust your hop up (if you didn't notice) and is essential to get your gun shooting how you want it. If you're new to airsoft and not sure what hopup is feel free to PM me.

Hop Adjustment Tool

Bag of Unknown bbs: I personally wouldn't use these; I would assume they are .25s and fine to use. Although out of habit I tend to not use bbs that come with replicas.

Bag of bbs

I'm going to skip the questionnaire, as there isn't a lot to tell about it.

Questionnaire

Operators Manual: One of the best operators manuals I have seen. Perfect English is used, no broken jumbled English here. The manual shows how to adjust the hopup, disassemble the replica, a list of every part with respective number (so that if you lose a part or a part breaks you can order that exact part from the manufacture, AWESOME!), and more information.

Operators Manual

Warranty: Another awesome aspect of KWA, the warranty. The warrant covers 45 days in case of problems that you could possibly have, although I don't think you will have many (if any.)

Warranty

Magazine: This magazine holds A LOT of gas; I can get almost more than 3 magazines full with a full magazine of gas. Magazine is made of metal and very sturdy. Only complaint I have is that when pushing the spring that pushes the bbs up the magazine down sometimes it takes a couple of tries to get it locked into place. This could be fixed by simply making the ridges that the spring is caught in a bit more defined/deeper. KSC MP9 MAGAZINES ARE NOT COMPATIBLE.

Magazine

The Gun (Took you a while Wert): Now to everyone's favorite part, the gun. I'm going to break this into three parts: Externals, Internals, and Skirmish ability.

Beauty Shots

Externals: This gun is STURDY. Primary material used is a fiber-reinforced polymer, giving this replica a very sturdy and realistic feeling. The outer barrel is made of steel, no pot metal used here. While I am on the topic of the outer barrel I do have another complaint. There are no threads on this barrel; you cannot remove the orange tip because it is actually part of the barrel. Removing the orange on the barrel WILL void your warranty so KWA does not advise this. I have however been informed that KWA in junction with another manufacture will be releasing a "suppressor" that will fit on the barrel of the KMP9. The gun is 52.70 cm X 24.13 cm un-folded and 30.48 cm folded making this gun extremely compact (almost the size of a pistol, except a bit bulkier when folded). The replica is very balanced and weighs in at 1.81 kg. Available colors are black, DE, and Ranger Grey. There are rails on the top and right side of the KMP9 for adding accessories as you see fit.

Although I will advise against using cheaper made red dot sights as the recoil on this replica destroyed my replica EOtech!

On to the stock. The stock is also made of plastic and is very sturdy; pushing in the button in the picture below you can fold the stock onto the side of the replica where it locks into place. To unfold the stock simply pull it into place, no buttons needed.

Folding the Stock

The iron sights on the KMP9 are not adjustable but are still great, adjustable sights would be nice but these still function great.

The built in foregrip is comfortable to use, no complaints.

This replica shoots in semi-automatic and automatic selections. The fire selector is easy to handle and clicks into place firmly. 1 red dot = semi-automatic. 3 red dots = Automatic.

Fire Selector

Internal: As some of you may know this KMP9 runs off of KWA's NS2 system, making it shoot extremely fast (RPS wise) as well as gives it a great FPS output. I chronoed the gun shooting at an average of 320+ fps using .25 bbs.

This gun is very accurate once the hopup is adjusted, I will get specific specs on this up later. I would however recommend a tight bore barrel for the KMP9, although I would recommend this for any replica. The inner barrel length is 140mm. Disassembly couldn't be easier, especially because of the instructions that the manual gives the operator. I will go into disassembly later with a guide on how to disassemble. All of the parts used inside this replica are very high quality, this replica will last A LONG time without many problems. The amount factory lube is perfect, compared to my KWA G18c there is a little less factory lube.

(Pictures of Internals Coming Soon)

Skirmishiblity: This gun is very skirmishible being accurate and shooting hard. Although I do not see this being ok for CQB, the only reason being that it shoots a bit to hard for CQB and could be unsafe to use. Although If you used heavy bbs you would have no problem using this in a CQB environment. For field use on the other hand this replica performs great, especially in the warm weather of Southern California. Expect to see more of these at games once extra magazines become available.

Where to buy: This can be bought many places, off the top of my head I can think of at AEX for around $200 dollars (a little more than your average MPEG.)

Final Thoughts: This is a great gun for those looking to run a compact GBB replica but don't want to sacrifice power and speed out of the box. Upgrades I could see being necessary is a tight bore barrel (Recommended for any new replica). I am sure upgraded pieces for this will be on the market soon, so keep an eye open. Although upgrading the FPS and RPS is un-needed in my opinion. This gun is LOUD, very loud (one of the loudest GBB's I have shot.)

Pros:

-Shoots hard

-Awesome RPS

-Cheap compared too most GBBR's and performs the same, if not better.

-Accurate

-Loud

-Easy to disassemble

-Light weight and balanced

-Compact

Cons:

-Shoots hard

-Loud

-No Threads

-Magazine spring can be iffy.

I will be updating this review periodically as well as adding videos of it shooting and what not. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

(I couldn't post the pictures directly because there are to many of them, sorry)

Thanks for reading,

-Wert

Edited by Wert
  • 2 months later...

I'd like to add, I've been using mine with 134a since I bought it, and its chrono'd at 310-320 ( Though, as you know stuntman, we've had a few cold snaps here) the last 2 skirmishes.

Not had a problem with semi OR Full Auto, even on the coldest days, with the exception of the catastrophic rate of fire! Definitely going to invest in another 2, possibly 4 mags for it in the near future.

As of yet, no problems at all!

Few comments on using one last weekend in sub zero conditions. It fired, but cooldown was horrendous when firing bursts - I did get some excellent semi-auto single shots though.

The KSC silencer does fit the KWA - no real surprise, but good to confirm.

Hop on this one had been horrible overlubed and needed a good clean.

I'd still like them to make short mags for this...

Edited by Voodoo1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They are all the same .. okay to be precise .. the MP9 hast an effective Range of 40-45m and the MP7 45-50m.

But the MP9 is a far better room cleaning gun and magazine changes work beter with the MP9.

I sold my MP7 to buy me a MP9. If my MP9 was stolen or dead i would by me my next MP9!

This gun is hellish loud indoors!