A&K Masada vs. Magpul Masada - Which one?

Redshirt 1-7

Forgive me if this is the wrong section. I couldn't think of a reason to put this in any other section.

So, I've been looking into something I might be able to pine for around Christmas (i.e. now), and I've been wanting to make a new acquisition some time anyway. The Masadas caught my eye - an interesting gun. Both appear to be relatively high quality, so I shouldn't go wrong with either choice, right?

Well, here I'm at an impasse. I don't know which would be a better choice of the two. Money could be a problem. The A&K version is much cheaper, and would probably go over better as a suggested present, and it's still (seemingly) high-quality. Yet there's also the official Magpul version, also quite sought-after, and it seems to be high-quality as well. I may not be able to even reasonably get ahold of it, though.

Now, more importantly, what's the difference between the two performance-wise? Do they shoot similar? Is the A&K one so phail in comparison that it hurts for you to even read my question? Ect. ect.? I'd like to choose based on performance, though pricing may be my achilles heel and keep me from that.

Also, as a side question, can these take regular M4/16 STANAG magazines, or do I have to buy the expensive and overpriced proprietary versions?

I have an A&K in my shop, and my primary is a PTS ACR; and if you can, i say get the PTS. It's one of the best out of the box guns I've had the pleasure of shooting (I did replace the barrel and bucking, but I do this with most guns), and this finish is top notch. Not to mention all the cool features and growing library of accessories.

-edit-

The only trouble mag wise that I've had is hicaps. It just doesn't seem to like them (not an issue for me, I use midcaps almost exclusively).The ones i have (a few JG, a CA, and an ICS) all are kind of crappy with feeding. ALL of my midcaps work flawlessly (MAG, STAR Pmags, King arms, and Ares)

Do more research to have a more knowledgeable and wise decision. One of the most important thing to consider is the availability of parts, especially internals like gearbox, gearbox internals and what not. This is the main reason why I still prefer the A&K over PTS.

Wall hanger guns you simply want to avoid later.

just to chip in as well i have no experiance of the new magpul one but i do have one of the A&K ones (it was one of the very first in the country) and all i"ve done to it since i got it is change the hop rubber and nub and change to Deans conectors so i can run it on lypo and now nearly 2 yrs down the line i"ve NEVER had a single problem with it (will probably go t**s up now! :P ) great range , very acuritate , feeds floorlesly , so from my experiance with it i"d say damb fine gun .

though, there have been LOT of reports of problems with the new PTS model, i think safer bet would be go with the A&K version if you are not interested to tinker or fix the PTS too much.

I think some of these were first run bugs- I just remembered my teammate had microswitch issues with his shortly after he got it. Mine however, has worked flawlessly since day one.

Qualify "LOT". I think PTS issues floating around the forums are all speculative - and I'm saying this that it could fall on either side of the fence (i.e. could be true, could not be true).

Are you kidding me mate? have you not read anything of what people have problems with PTS model, you say all people say is lying? all is speculative and you mean not true :P very funny mate, no pun intented but to say nothing wrong :P just clean it under the carpet and it never happened. I don't say that PTS model is bad i just replied to the question OP asked that which could be better bet and so far what ive read older model would seem so.

though, there have been LOT of reports of problems with the new PTS model, i think safer bet would be go with the A&K version if you are not interested to tinker or fix the PTS too much.

As said above, justify ALOT. Only people with issues tend to complain about problems, those like myself who have had a perfect weapon out of the box rarely post. Not to mention there a re probably more legit PTS ACRs out there than there are A&Ks.

I got one of the first UK Spec Foliage Green Masada's in the country, 4 weeks ago. Used it numerous times and have not had 1 jam, lock-up or any other problem. It seems well built, hop-up, range and accuracy are as you would expect from a £400 AEG. I couldn't be happier with it. I have held the A&K and seen it used, it might be just the version i've seen but the A&K seemed more squeaky, had a lower ROF and upon holding it, the body had more flex than the PTS one. You pays your money you gets your dues.

I have had one of the licensed A&K masada's for over a year now and must say that out of the box it was a bit below par with air seal issues. I simply replaced the air nozzle with a metal propietary one from HK and put in a madbull blue hop rubber and h-nub and must say that it is one of my best performing aeg's for around a £15 outlay.

Put this in comparison to the Magpul PTS Masada which is around £200 more expensive and has a thread a mile long with faults about it on this very forum and I know which one I would be choosing. A guy at POW airsoft had his Magpul Masada for around half a game day before it *suitcase* itself and others I have spoken to have returned theirs to exchange for other aegs.

My A&K feeds flawlessly with pmag 120 round copies from HK with no issues and also feeds fine with Magpul PTS Pmags as well. I also have several fake pmag hi-caps from KH Mountain which again feed flawlessly in the A&K.

So, save your money for shiny attachments and get the A&K, it rocks! (my opinion only)

I seem to remember a lot of people a couple days after the PTS went out complaining about the barrel working its way loose, now the UK spec ones appear to have an extra bushing on the barrel to stop that happening (no idea about the US ones) and it would seem the real steal also suffers from a similar problem, at least in its Bushmaster civilianised form.

The A&K is a solid skirmish gun, but its defiantly a masada, I.E. not the current ACR rifle(though neither is the PTS...) and the external finish can be a bit crappy at some points if you look at it long enough, however its a bit of a moot point as Starmonkee said since you'll have trouble finding an A&K masada unless someone sells on on the forums.

Both versions will accept stanag style mags in theory, but as SSDD pointed out, you might find a particular brand or type of mag that just won't feed.

Are you kidding me mate? have you not read anything of what people have problems with PTS model, you say all people say is lying? all is speculative and you mean not true :P very funny mate, no pun intented but to say nothing wrong :P just clean it under the carpet and it never happened. I don't say that PTS model is bad i just replied to the question OP asked that which could be better bet and so far what ive read older model would seem so.

I have followed this closely. In fact the guy who had the barrel problem is a friend of mine and even plays in my team. I reached out to a contact I knew in PTS even to find out about the issue. -ONE- person had a barrel problem. I think you need to re-read the whole thread again and actually highlight how many owners actually had -real- problems vs. all the other speculative fears. Aside from the barrel, I think one or two people reported about the microtrigger. So if there's anything I'd change from my statement, it's "all speculative" to "mostly speculative" - that's all I'll give you.

To the Op, I bought 5xPTS ACRs (http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=184343&st=560 #570) for myself and other team members (excluding the aforementioned member above). As far as I know, they're happy.

Edit: BTW, if anyone is interested in A&K Masadas, they are still plentiful in Japan.

I had the A&K masada, now I have the PTS ACR.

Quick resumé.

A&K:

- barrel wobble

- badly shimmed gearbox

- no gear grease

- very filthy inner barrel

Tough plenty of ACM guns have these problem.

But the rest was quite solid, apart from the selector switches.

An ACM gun always requires some fine tuning before using.

The body itself was quite well finished.

PTS:

-no problems at all.

Of course, these are my own experiences. others probably had a very well build A&K.

But I do place my expectations higher when the price is higher.

Mine is still stock. and apart from a thightbore barrel, I don't see any reason for upgrading it.

On another note, how many have complained about their PTS after upgrading it?

I own a PTS ACR and I have to say that I am incredibly impressed with it so far. I'll also throw in my 2 cents, I have read every word of the ACR thread, and like Anakchan said there have actually only been a handful of problems reported, and most of the negative info I've heard has seemed more like magpul hate than actual problems. Another thing to keep in mind about is that the ACR is a popular aeg, so there are a lot more out there to have possible problems than other aegs. After playing with my acr I chose to drop a 110 in so the fps would match up with the KWA saturated fields in TN, also the hopup may need a small amount of tinkering with it in order to get the range some people want. In the end both are AEG's which have gotten overall positive reviews, and you will more than likely upgrade either. You just have to decide which is more worth the money to you.

Can't say anything about the PTS, because i've never had one, exept i've heard it has TERRIBLE internals.

i have an A&K and I love it! Cleaned the barrel, got a CNC Air nozzle and hop up for it, KWA 2gx bucking and a 6.03 prommy tightbore, and it shoots like a dream.

Can't say anything about the PTS, because i've never had one, exept i've heard it has TERRIBLE internals.

Sounds more like jealousy to me.:D

Of course if the comments come from people who install 140 spring and use a 11,1v 35C 2500mah lipo battery, then I am not surprised.

I leave for a few days after forgetting about this thread, and I get a truckload of info. Cool beans, yo.

Well, as it turns out, I'm a hair away from abadoning the idea of a Masada anyway. Not going to work out most likely (looking at VFC's Stoner AEG lineup instead).

<br />I leave for a few days after forgetting about this thread, and I get a truckload of info. Cool beans, yo.<br /><br />Well, as it turns out, I'm a hair away from abadoning the idea of a Masada anyway. Not going to work out most likely (looking at VFC's Stoner AEG lineup instead).<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I personally agree with you looking somewhere else. Here's my 2 cents. The A&K is a really expensive gun because it was the first Masada put out and wanted to get all the Modern Warfare 2 fanboys. Later it became a better gun when they swapped G&P internals into it because many of them were being returned. That being said, I work( sort of) in my local airsoft shop and we sell both the A&K and the PTS. We have sold over 30 Pts models and have only had one come back with a manufacturing problem. So I have only heard one bad thing about the PTS.

I had the same debate as to which gun to buy next and I passed up the PTS for a G&P Sentry. Simply because there is so much more you can do to it. There are cool magpul parts coming out for the Masada soon but I dont think its worth the wait.

I know that the prices in usa are quite high, but the a&k masada is/was not expensive outside US. I had one of the first in EU and I paid less then 200$ include shipping, and this was when it was banned to sell for the HK-shops.

My Masada is rocksolid and runns on 130ms with lipo, and all stuff except motor and piston are orginal ,and it still works.

But the pts one looks nicer, with the correct gasnobb on the barrel and stuff;)

Archived