High ROF is bad for the sport (rant)

Jungle_Spectre

i think the main point here is that its not the aeg its the person holding it thats the problem! Even if you dont have a high rof monster some goons will still hose people because they think thats the fun bit! personnally i think overkill rules are the best for stamping this sorta ###### out.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anything more than 1200 rpm is just silly in my book. I achieve much more effect from continuous fire on single shot than I do from stop-start bursts of automatic. It means that I'm firing for longer between magazine changes, giving my team-mates time to manoeuvre, and stops me eating through my ammo and having to buy more. If that doesn't work, I get closer to the enemy to make my fire more accurate.

As has already been said, its a bit of a *rickroll* move to dictate to other players how they should be playing when everyone has paid the same amount of money to be there, however i certainly dont go to airsoft to get hurt and i dont think anyone else does so i tend to play mainly on single shot and personally feel it a lot more satisfying to eliminate players with a well placed single round than to point my rifle in their general direction pull the trigger and hope that after X amount of rounds have gone at them i'll hear them shout "Hit", also i only use midcap mags as hi-cap mags are just not my style.

Personally i find that wether you shoot an AEG at 600rpm or 1350rpm it doesn't matter. It is those that liberally hose down the opposition that matter.

I have attended games were i have been on the onslaught of a high ROF AEG but after putting up my hand and saying 'hit' when a round hit me i noticed a sudden cease-fire, the person even pointed the barrel down and away from me to show that he had recognized the hit and let me walk.

However i have also had people with out of the box Marui's with 8.4v's in them hose me down and not stop til another 5-10 bb's had struck me.

I play pistols so i have a simple ROF, as fast as my finger can go and the weather will permit. Though even i muast admit emptying a mag at close quarters into someone not taking hits when they should have done so. It is not ROF but more situation and the player that leads to hosing.

In my opinion, ROF is only really useful in CQB.

Yet many UK (and i believe all) sites that focus on CQB demand semi only in confined spaces. I have yet to attend a site that allows anything other than semi-auto only within buildings. I must admit i have been caught out by full-auto in an indoors site due to a stupid player that was soon evicted from site. Trust me it is not in the least bit amusing.

'FireKnife'

many UK (and i believe all) sites that focus on CQB demand semi only in confined spaces.

That's one example of an absurd, artificial rule. But then, why comply with that and not question high ROF elsewhere? I don't get it...

BTW, this is deviating towards the hosing issue only, and nobody is mentioning the hicap encouragement part :) How do you convince hiROFers to use midcaps or locaps when they go through a 400+ hicap in a wink?

Hosing people down is not limited to high ROF. I use semi exclusively, because Ilike to sight each time I pull the trigger. At my last game I got shouted at for overkill; there was a guy 20ft away, and I shot him with my M4. He stayed crouched and in cover, so I continued to sight him and shoot controlled single shots until his hand went up. He had stayed low, in cover and kept both hnads on his gun (finger in the trigger), and proceeded to get very stroppy; I apologised because I don't enjoy inflicting pain on others, but in my defense, I did not hear him call hit, he maintained an aggressive position, and the hand did not go up.

What's my point? It is not limited to high ROF; I use semi exclusively, as I already said. There are two sides to every story, so what constitutes overkill is down to perception.

I think ROF should be controlled - but that has an unfortunate side effect for those like me, whom prefer the use of semi, and would like a shorter trigger lag; our ROF increases as a side effect.

I do agree with another poster here though; it is more about how YOU play, and your attitude. There can be endless amounts of rules, and people will still find subtle ways around them to achieve what they want to achieve. So just play the way you want to play, and have fun!

Unfortunatley any rules have to be aimed at the lowest common denominator, yes you may well be an experienced player that can control his/her high rof gun to controlled burts but it's the idiot that hoses his high rof gun that has to be dealt with a reasonable rule that is applicable to everyone. In eight years plus of airsofting I have seen far too many uneccessary injuries that have occured due to high rof in close quarters. Personnaly I feel using semi in cqb is the way to go.

Personnaly I feel using semi in cqb is the way to go.

Agreed.

That's one example of an absurd, artificial rule. But then, why comply with that and not question high ROF elsewhere? I don't get it...

How is it absurd exactly, often you are between 1-5 metres of a target and require at most a double tap to get them out, this just help keep things safe so no-one sustains excessive injury at close range. Firing off high ROF guns at short ranges indoors just leads to two things, unecessay pain and confusion. First as the person is loosing off a lot of rounds means a lot of ricochet indoors leading to lots of painful shots from all angles. Second as you wouldn't be able to tell shots apart as the rounds bounce all over the place, you won't know wether to call a hit or not.

How do you convince hiROFers to use midcaps or locaps when they go through a 400+ hicap in a wink?

Quite simply you don't. If you are attending an average game day with the usual tags to define teams and basic game setups then let people use what they want so long as A: it is within limits and B: they are not excessive with the items they bring. If you want to see a decline in hi-caps with high ROF gun users then either attend games that limit mag size and capacity or just play with like minded people only and let those that prefer hi-caps and high ROF to play amongst themselves.

This hobby has to appeal to all aspects and you are only one side, same as i am with my pistols. I just decided to practice more so i could take out the high ROF users before they get a chance to spray an area with a 600+ capacity magazine.

'FireKnife'

Defo on the semi only for CQB, I can get pretty battered as it is even with everyone firing on semi, the idea of auto being used in any of the places they currently have semi only in sounds pretty crappy in my head.

I play mainly at the Mall and the semi / auto rules there seems pretty good.

I also thought of that already.

If you play with random people (and if your legal limits allows it):

400 fps @ 25 rps outdoor

320 fps @ 25 rps indoor/CQB

If you know the people, e.g. always same group, you can go higher. But dont trust random people, there is always one idiot among them.

Here you can get some recommendations for MEDs:

http://msed.bbbastard.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53&Itemid=57

I also see no tactical advantage over 20 rps (thats 1 BB each 50ms)if your gun is accurate.

It bothers me a bit when an airsoft gun fires at 2x+ the RoF of its real steal counterpart, but I tend to not really care about it as long as whoever behind the trigger doesn't hose down opponents.

A new local site has actually put a magazine limit to make sure those who just hose down people don't do just that. You're allowed to have one hicap, or three midcaps, or as many low caps as you want. An additional rule on hicaps is that you may only fire on semi-auto where as everyone else can do whatever they want. Autowinding mags are also not allowed unless in some type of MG set up. At first I was opposed to it, but when everyone is calling their hits we've had some really fun games like this.

As for suppressing fire, why does it need to be full auto? I've found that a full auto burst to get people ducking followed by one shot every half second work nicely. That and louder guns seem to suppress more. A buddy of mine got a KWA MP7 and got a loudener on it, it scares the ###### out of anyone on the receiving end.

Dont think you guys should come and play in DKblink.gif

When playing normal field games its not unusual that 50 % of the players use 420 fps, Rof +25 guns, carrying +2000 BBs in hicaps with them.

do you spend a lot of time sat in the same spot going no were ? just that what your describing sounds like the recipe for endless stalemates

Though the issue with limiting is that you have to check people are abiding by the limits. Meaning more checks on top of the lengthy chrono and FPS checks so less time out there playing.

To be honest all i can say is if you don't like the way a large number of people at a site play attend a different site, one that caters to your needs.

'FireKnife'

do you spend a lot of time sat in the same spot going no were ? just that what your describing sounds like the recipe for endless stalemates

No, most of the time people are sprinting around trying to outflank the opponent.

http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq119/z190075/dal09smagsprve3.jpg This picture explains the style pretty good.

Sure, at milsims we play with std. mags and lower ROF.

Another thing I'd like to add about higher ROF, a "one second" trigger pull gives your AEG more "stopping power." In a shorter amount of time the opposite player will be hit multiple times making sure they call their hits, and second the other players who are watching rethink if they want to go that same way. That happen fours times with my team of five during a forest/jungle game. We positioned ourselves along the opposing flank and opened fire through the trees and thick shrubs, 5 players called hits and another 6 fell back towards their spawn. If we used regular ROF guns I'm 100% sure less players would've felt the hits through the brush and with less hits going through they probably would have pushed up. ROF has its place, youhave to use it effectively and properly.

Choosing your ROF is like any other part of airsoft, a personal choice.

I don't think it makes the sport less safe so why worry, that is the only reason there are rules on fps.

If you are worried about a bit of short term pain, stay at home. I personally think that feeling the shot is the most important thing as I like to make sure I take my hits, and my hits are taken.

I take hits frequently which I'm not 100% sure did get me, so a couple of extra bb's in my direction would be reassuring!.

Next thing I'll see is someone wanting to ban decent camo saying it's too much of an advantage..

Scrub what I just said...

I just saw this vid (see link)... If there are limits that shouldn't be crossed this gun is waaaaay over the line!!!!

lol ok some things are over the top....anything past 28RPS is just....insane. I can understand a rof below that, I roll with about 22 RPS. Using midcaps though so it has to be conservative. But I do enjoy building guns capable.

Archived