TMC MBSS style plate carrier with pouches

TMC MBSS style Plate Carrier with pouches

here goes my first review.

I was in the market for a light weight, open sided MOLLE Compatible rig. And this one seemed to fit all the requirements, and was at a really good price.

I ordered this from Ebaybanned.com, along with a few extra pouches and a pack with a built in hydration bladder.

Ordered on the 8th December 2010, arrived at my door the 17th of December 2010, that's not a bad turnaround as far as Ebaybanned shipping goes. The items were well packed, and arrived with no damage whatsoever.. all in all.. not too shabby

Anyways, on to the actual product

First Impressions:

Having opened the package, I was actually pleasantly surprised by the quality of the vest, I was a little dubious prior to ordering due to some of the stories about Chinese made tactical gear that are floating around on various forums. The vest is made of 1000 denier cordura according to the manufacturer, the build quality is good.

I order a khaki one, the colour is very dark, but it qualifies as khaki or a dark tan, it is darker than my khaki Pantac force recon vest.

Construction

General construction is very good, the stitching of the MOLLE loops and seams is of an acceptable quality, it certainly looks like it'll stand up to some abuse, which is want I expect from a piece of tactical gear. The supplied pouches are of the same quality, solid stitching, the buttons on the pouches are also good.

One point her is that one of the rows of webbing was not quite straight, it was very slightly ( as in less than 1 mm) out, this had no effect on my attaching a pouch to this row of webbing.

The Buckles are all of a good standard, and will probably survive any reasonable skirmish use

Sizing/Adjustment

The vest is adjustable at the waist and shoulders, this was where I ran into a minor issue. I am 5ft 5" and weigh 9st 6, so am very slightly built. I encountered an issue with the side adjustment, even at the smallest setting, it was still really loose. I have modified the vest now and it's a great fit. (the mod is very simple, if you wish to know more PM me)

Adjustment at the shoulder was fine for me, but if you are exceptionally tall you may run into issues

Comfort

I've not skirmished this yet, so can't really comment on how comfortable it is for a whole skirmish, but to wear while "clearing the house" it was perfectly comfy. When I do a game day it I'll post an update.

Conclusion

As first impressions go, this vest has exceeded my expectations, I am anxious to take it on the skirmish field and see how it holds up for a days gaming.

Pics

back

MBSSback.jpg

Front

MBSSfront.jpg

comments and questions are very much encouraged, as it will help to improve this and any future reviews I post on here.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

DahlTR...

i'm 5'5"...and i have the shoulder adjusted quite short, so i would imagine you would get into it ok as far as your height is concerned, in the review when i used "exceptionally tall" i was aiming at guys who are 6'7" +

a little bit of an update while im at it..

i've now owned the vest for a few months, and played loads of games with it, and i'm pleased to say that it's still holding up really well,the stitching is still in good, no fraying or breakage. all in all it seems like a sound long term investment..

Edited by Namaan
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I noticed that TMC released a second MBSS that seems to differentiate in color and size (Front/Back plate carriers don't look all the same). I'm also waiting on them to release a khaki EPC, which seems highly likely in my opinion. I've only bought two pouches from them to use on a belt rig (horizontal utility and dump pouch), and it actually stood up quite well compared to the Eagle 9mm FB mag pouches that were on the same rig. Surprisingly enough, the items inside the utility stayed quite dry after an accident with a puddle on the field... In all I'm impressed with the quality for the price.