UHC Python 4" Revolver

This is one of UHCs many revolvers, which have come on sale in the past few months.

First impressions were good. Solid grip, user friendly sights (nice and fast to aim), and hey, a revolver which actually revolved. For £20! The plastic looks metal enough at arms length, so while you're firing it, you can't tell.

The FPS is rather low, given at a measly 150 using .2s (use .12s though, the hop ups designed for them), but personally I think that's a good thing - this makes the hammer very light to cock, and being a revolver, meaning that you can draw it in true fast draw style - this means while it may be outgunned by practically everything out there, you can certainly get to it considerably faster.

Even loading this gun is fun - flicking open the cylinder (you can do this one handed, just like in the movies), hitting the extractor rod, watching the empty shells fall to the ground, loading in 6 new shells, then snapping the gun shut is deeply satisfying, and with only 6 shots, you get plenty of excuse to do this (finally, a good thing to say about low capacity).

Shooting the gun is, unfortunately, not so fun. While the sights may be fully adjustable, this does little to offset the problems of .12g bb's, low FPS, and strong winds. Hitting trees at 10m was a matter of trying to shoot in between the gusts, and quite frustrating.

So I moved on to being Clint Eastwood, and practicing fast draws, which was far more fun. As I've already mentioned, the Python is insanely fast to draw - it's weighting and shape mean it'll sit comfortably in even the crumbiest of holsters (a Viper hip holster) without a retention strap (tested this with a handstand, it was still there), but will pop out the moment your hand starts to pull that hammer back. And for some reason I'm yet to understand, it shoots much better from the hip than any automatic (aka magazine fed) pistol I've ever used, and even better than itself when actually aiming. "Dropping" three trees in quick succession has never been so satisfying. The Python literally halved my draw time (before it'd been set with a TM M92F GBB, cheating with safety off of course). While 1/2 second still isn't Clint, it's a step in the right direction.

All in all a very nice gun. No match for a GBB or EAP, but quite a lot of fun, and something I'm even considering taking on a skirmish - after all, when's the last time you actually used your pistol? And for look, and speed of draw (just in case), this is well worth it.

Update - I've been trying this gun out as a side with a few friends in the woods (private, not public so don't worry, I'm not getting arrested). It actually works quite well, especially since the shells are large enough that you can load 5 bbs into each, effectively giving you a miniature shotgun, with effective range out to 5m or so. Not bad for a side. Another bonus is that the shells fit in my 410 ammo belt, so reloads aren't too slow anymore either. All in all, surprisingly skirmish-able, can't wait to try it out for real.

Having compatibility issues with the pics, but should be sorted in the near future

Never realised there were real life shotgun pistols. Guess it makes sense though. I'll look into it, although it seems like I'd have to have the O rings custom made, which just isn't going to happen... thanks for the idea though, maybe I'll find something.

I've been wanting to make a taurus judge for over a year now, but i havn't got the skills to do so :(. There are also the philipino shot-pistols, Generally single barrel breachbreakers in the shape of all sorts of "normal" pistols guns to disguise them.

In the firearms world, if you can imadgine it, it exists. Wether it is any good or not is a different story :P.

There is an old mod to AEG hop units to stop the BBs dropping out when you change mag. It might help here. You drill a little hole in the side, cut up and o-ring and feed it in untill it just lightly touches the BBs then glue it in place. I'd imadgine it would muck up the hop something, but then, you are making a shotgun ;).

I've been experimenting a bit more with this. Turns out if you use toilet paper it jams far less than with regular paper, only about 1 in 5 shots or so. The problem comes if you try and cock the gun while the barrel is angled downwards. Firing downwards is fine, as long as the cocking was done properly. So here the only real problem is if you try and re-cock the gun too quickly, as then you forget to angle it up. Effective range is about 5-6m, so good for room clearing but nothing more

I've also tried lightly gluing the bb's together, but they only separate about half the time, so plenty to be desired here.

I've just ordered one of these, so hopefully I'll find some O-rings in there that fit the shell (it's a tapered round, so I've got plenty of different diameters to play with, one of them must do the job).

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=26729&Referrer=froogle

Anyway I'll keep you posted.

I've also tried lightly gluing the bb's together, but they only separate about half the time, so plenty to be desired here.

Slugshot? Kinda defeats the whole "shotgun" ness of the thing :P.

Depending on the size of the shells(thicness) you could cut a channel around the outside of the shell for a slightly larger o-ring, one part of the channel will go all the way through so a short section of the rubber is inside the shell (understand what i mean???) again, it would interfear with the hop and it would probably break the shells after too long (cheap plastic i assume)

Slugshot? Kinda defeats the whole "shotgun" ness of the thing :P.

Depending on the size of the shells(thicness) you could cut a channel around the outside of the shell for a slightly larger o-ring, one part of the channel will go all the way through so a short section of the rubber is inside the shell (understand what i mean???) again, it would interfear with the hop and it would probably break the shells after too long (cheap plastic i assume)

Thin, cheapo shells, definitely won't survive that. The glued together bb's separate about 50% of the time, so exit the gun as 4 separate bb's. Unfortunately this means 50% of the time they stick together, which very much defeats the purpose. I've talked to a friend who thinks it might be possible to adjust the O-rings I've bought to the perfect size if I freeze them so they're rigid, then sand them down.

EDIT: Also thinking about putting a link to this topic in technical discussion, maybe get some more ideas on how to do this.

Edited by Silent Avenger
  • 8 months later...