Initial Impressions of the TM SCAR-L Recoil Shock AEG System

In sticking to Gunfighers808 style of Topic Title and Topic Description, this is a very quick initial review of the TM SCAR-L Recoil Shock AEG System released in Japan today. Even though it's released today, a lot of airsoft shops don't have them in stock as the 1st batch of bookings have already met the order quota. I managed to pick mine up in Frontier1, Akabane, Tokyo for Y41,860 (approx USD$504.74). That's actually a little more expensive than Echigoya's International site which advertises for USD$485.

As with other TM guns, the external seems reasonably well built. Although there's a tone difference between the upper, lower and grip, it's not as strongly contrasted as VFC SCAR-L's. To me TM's FDE is somewhat a little "earthier" than VFC SCAR-L's. Here's some initial pics :-

Unboxing the TM SCAR-L :-

TM-SCAR-L01.jpg

TM-SCAR-L02.jpg

A close up of the lower/upper receiver colour difference :-

TM-SCAR-L03.jpg

TM-SCAR-L06.jpg

Here's a colour difference between the VFC SCAR-L (Upper) and the TM SCAR-L (Lower). Apologies my VFC SCAR-L looks so dirty as it's been my primary weapon for some time :-

TM-SCAR-L04.jpg

TM-SCAR-L05.jpg

I've found the TM grip to be bigger (and therefore more comfortable) than the VFC, which to me has always felt "slender". Also as visible, the selector switch positioning is different, but the magwell on the TM also has an indentation of which VFC's doesn't. Other aesthetic differences includes the hinge for the folding stock, the front flip sight adjustment, the gas block colour (material?), etc. The overall TM receiver length does appear to be a little longer than VFC's but not by much. Later I'll be counting rails.

Some other notable differences include :-

* TM's charging handle doesn't lock back, you have to hold it back to adjust the hop (which is similar to the TM Sopmod style)

* The front barrel extender (at least in the manual) appears to be one piece. That's a pity 'cos it means I can't just unscrew it to make it into a CQB - I could be wrong 'cos I'm just referring to the user manual and haven't physically tried unscrewing it.

* The gas block is a dummy, you cannot remove anything like the VFC (i.e. no hop adjustment, or no torque screw driver)

* There's wires visible from the receiver to the stock (see below)

TM-SCAR-L07.jpg

Also wires are nicely routed within the stock (fuse is barely visible but there), and there's a little swing hook for the battery wires too :-

TM-SCAR-L08.jpg

TM-SCAR-L10.jpg

TM-SCAR-L11.jpg

The stock pin is also held nicely in place, without having to worry about losing the locking pin (like the VFC SCAR-L).

Once I've charged a battery with a Taimya connector, I can try firing it (all my AEGs use mini-Deans). I've actually already tried this at the Tokyo Victory Show on the 18th Dec and it does have a decent kick. Of course (just like the Sopmod, anyone expecting a GBB-like kick, forget it).

• Like 4
  • Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In sticking to Gunfighers808 style of Topic Title and Topic Description, this is a very quick initial review of the TM SCAR-L Recoil Shock AEG System released in Japan today. Even though it's released

lol BUT ITS NOT HOW IT IS...   Your just assuming... have you seen one break ?? no you havent, do you know why i know you havent becuase no one has.. if someone had i would know about it.   Not

druid, we gotta have a contest to see who has more TM EBBs! I have the socom and sopmod, i'm selling a few unused AEGs to pick up the TM scar. It's like crack....

Posted Images

TM's box art is getting better and better.

I'm seriously considering this as a project gun, but there are only 2 things holding me back:

1. Compatibility with PTS MIAD or MOE grip

2. CQB-barrel transform

If both of these are doable, I'm definitely getting it after my MAG-K project is done.

I've found the TM grip to be bigger (and therefore more comfortable) than the VFC, which to me has always felt "slender".

Any obvious reason for the fat grip? If VFC can do it, why not TM?

I'm assuming the fat grip makes it less authentic - like the usual M4 style airsoft pistol grips.

+1 BTW.

Edited by The Reptile House

Any obvious reason for the fat grip? If VFC can do it, why not TM?

I'm assuming the fat grip makes it less authentic - like the usual M4 style airsoft pistol grips.

+1 BTW.

I'm going to have to speculate here 'cos I don't know what Tokyo Marui's thinking. However I don't think it's a matter of whether TM can or cannot do it. However I do like the bigger grip, it fits better in my hand. A 'quick' calliper measurement across, the VFC is 41.7mm with the TM at 44.8mm. Got my GF to hold it too and it is slightly but noticeably bigger.

I still haven't charged my batteries. Once I do I'll do an FPS test. Sorry, I don't have access to a decent range so I won't be able to do accuracy tests. I'll gut it later to see what's inside and will see if a MOE will fit the lower receiver.

Not quite sure what kind of parts you want to swap, cos as you can guess about the internals, they'll be different (as you've noted), and as for externals well from the pictures you can see above, the stock is different, the hinge to the stock is different. Also as mentioned, the outer barrel appears fixed according to the user manual. But looks like you probably can change the rear flip & FH :D. The TM version does appear to use standard AEG inner barrels, guess that's interchangeable (therefore same with buckings).

So here's the power results. I must say I'm pretty impressed by the stock power, measured with an XCortech X3200. (Looks like [tables] isn't enabled on IP.Board) :-

0.2g G&G Bio BB's (in m/s)

97.05m/s 0.94J

96.64m/s 0.93J

96.35m/s 0.92J

95.11m/s 0.90J

96.51m/s 0.93J

97.01m/s 0.94J

94.95m/s 0.90J

96.39m/s 0.92J

96.07m/s 0.92J

96.92m/s 0.93J

Ave: 96.3m/s 0.92J

0.28g G&G Bio BB's (in m/s)

80.81m/s 0.91J

81.10m/s 0.92J

80.67m/s 0.91J

81.27m/s 0.92J

80.50m/s 0.90J

80.73m/s 0.91J

81.56m/s 0.93J

81.13m/s 0.92J

80.67m/s 0.91J

80.90m/s 0.91J

Ave: 80.93m/s 0.91J

Now for the bummer. For those who think you can drop in the Freedom Art BB Feed extender to use standard magazines, those unfortunately do not simply drop in. The feed extender will need to be modified to fit in. Reason being, the mechbox has these rails that extend forward on either side of the hop chamber that prevents a drop-in extender. However I think with some shaving of the Freedom Art BB Feed extender, it can be made to fit.

However if you picked up one of the Pro Arms metal BB feed extenders instead, then you're in for a lot harder work.

TM-SCAR-L12.jpg

Danke,

Sorry. Maybe I'm not seeing what you have in mind, but I'm going to continue referring to the pictures and user manual parts blowout above. At least to me it looks quite obvious that they're not compatible (see the stock hinge for example, or see the hinge plate in parts blow out as another). Are the pictures not clear enough? If you like I can take close ups if that's what you're after.

In sticking to Gunfighers808 style of Topic Title and Topic Description, this is a very quick initial review of the TM SCAR-L Recoil Shock AEG System released in Japan today. Even though it's released today, a lot of airsoft shops don't have them in stock as the 1st batch of bookings have already met the order quota. I managed to pick mine up in Frontier1, Akabane, Tokyo for Y41,860 (approx USD$504.74). That's actually a little more expensive than Echigoya's International site which advertises for USD$485.

Why, Thank You Sir! ;)

I'm waiting for the Black version to release.

I'll wait till you can't hold back any longer and take out the gearbox for pics. I'm really curious to see if they amended or changed the adv. ver.3 box versus the 74mn and 36k to incorporate the cut-off switch and ambi-selector.

Awesome initial review!!

Well it's too bad then if the parts can't swap between the 2. I was hoping this would lead to more options for the VFC, and maybe a hybrid between the 2 to ease some of the niggles of the older model (or come up with a shorter outer barrel on the TM).

I guess I'll have to decide if it's time to sell the VFC and get a TM. All the gas choices out there now really muddy the water though.

With the Recoil Shock range, unfortunately still a large variety of standards. I think we're seeing 4 different mechboxes now (M4, SCAR-L, G36K, AK47/74)?? But the same can be said for the non-EBB mechboxes V1-7. In the EBB range, I'm only familiar with the M4 Sopmod/SOCOM of the Recoil Shock and don't know enough about the G36K nor AK47/74. When I get to the point of butchering my SCAR-L, I'll see if it has interchangeable parts with the Sopmod/SOCOM mechboxes (like gears, ARL, etc.).

Update: Sadly like the VFC SCAR-L, MIAD/MOE not compatible too.

TM-SCAR-L13.jpg

I don't even need to align it properly for the difference to be noticeable.

TM-SCAR-L14.jpg

Of course if one wants to trim/cut/butcher their MIAD, you could make it fit but personally, that'll be too much trouble.

Edited by AnakChan

I'm going to have to speculate here 'cos I don't know what Tokyo Marui's thinking. However I don't think it's a matter of whether TM can or cannot do it. However I do like the bigger grip, it fits better in my hand. A 'quick' calliper measurement across, the VFC is 41.7mm with the TM at 44.8mm. Got my GF to hold it too and it is slightly but noticeably bigger.

I still haven't charged my batteries. Once I do I'll do an FPS test. Sorry, I don't have access to a decent range so I won't be able to do accuracy tests. I'll gut it later to see what's inside and will see if a MOE will fit the lower receiver.

looks like they're just taking the regular AR-type grip mold that they have and just inject the new color plastic for the gun. cost saving measure.

First-JP also made their CQB (CQC?) mod, together with their "Quasar" hop mod :-

I talked to Echigoya today and the way the shorten it is to cut the barrel short and re-thread for the FH. The standard 300mm inner gets replaced with a 270mm (I'm personally unfamiliar with this length, I know 247mm and 285mm but not 270mm...therefore I don't know if they cut that too).

A little OT, the Quasar mod is FirstJP's commercial name of a hop-up mod. In FortressWeb, they call it LR (for Long Range). The result is for BB's to reach to a greater distance without violating JP's 0.98J rule. The recommendation is to use 0.28g BB's. The original mod was created by a chap called Gunsmith Engineer and it was called the G-Hop (or so I'm told). More info can be found here :-

http://forums.airsoftmechanics.com/index.php?topic=3603.0

On the 2nd page of the link above I've done my version of the G-Hop for one of my AEGs and got pretty exceptional results. I'm doing that to all my AEGs/EBBs now.