Initial Impressions of the TM SCAR-L Recoil Shock AEG System

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In sticking to Gunfighers808 style of Topic Title and Topic Description, this is a very quick initial review of the TM SCAR-L Recoil Shock AEG System released in Japan today. Even though it's released

lol BUT ITS NOT HOW IT IS...   Your just assuming... have you seen one break ?? no you havent, do you know why i know you havent becuase no one has.. if someone had i would know about it.   Not

druid, we gotta have a contest to see who has more TM EBBs! I have the socom and sopmod, i'm selling a few unused AEGs to pick up the TM scar. It's like crack....

Posted Images

Very nice review.

Can you allow me to translate and post this review on my Korean blog?

Because this gun is not on sale in Korea yet.

Of course, i'll write original poster's name in my post.

Sure, that's fine. Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is interesting , I have always felted a little ashamed that none of my large collection of AEGs was a tm never really anything I wanted, this might just fit the bill had been toying with a famas just to have a tm, like the look of the recoil to, I got a wa M4 GBB a while back the biggest waste of money ever.

Edited by jonny2400

I foresee a lot of cracked in the front gearboxes.. :rolleyes: If I some day get one of these a sorbo pad is a must.

It depends on what you're shooting at. TM designed these things for under 1J for Japan's law. As for durability at/under 1J, well the design is not too far off from TM's G36K (somewhat a hybrid of that and the V2 Sopmod?) and the G36K has been out for more than a year...not heard of any cracked mechboxes yet (at 1J).

I foresee a lot of cracked in the front gearboxes.. :rolleyes: If I some day get one of these a sorbo pad is a must.

Lol considering not one single one has had a broken gearbox casing yet I think not...

These are new version 2 ie they have fixed all previous faults one of which was breaking the fronts off. Old version 2 is the only casing which breaks.

Edited by Richard Y

Well I have seen 3 STOCK tokyo marui version 3 and few version 2's crack in the front with all stock parts and 8,4V battery. :rolleyes: And that was within the first year of use. The Scar and Sopmod gearboxes are even weaker in the front, its clear from the pictures just look how thin that bar on top of the cylinder is. There is no magical reinforcements there, fact is a fact.

the design is not too far off from TM's G36K (somewhat a hybrid of that and the V2 Sopmod?) and the G36K has been out for more than a year...not heard of any cracked mechboxes yet (at 1J).

I have to disagree with that.. The TM g36k gearbox design is very similar to a Ver3 gearbox in the front, thus much stroger.

See it here.

Im not meaning to be rude, but thats just how it is. It's not like its useless, in fact it will be just fine. Thats as long as proper shock buffer, sorbothane pad that is, is used in the cylinder head. Even a tm ver2 can take a m170 without issues with sorbothane if everything is working right.

Edited by Maekl

Well I have seen 3 STOCK tokyo marui version 3 and few version 2's crack in the front with all stock parts and 8,4V battery. :rolleyes: And that was within the first year of use. The Scar and Sopmod gearboxes are even weaker in the front, its clear from the pictures just look how thin that bar on top of the cylinder is. There is no magical reinforcements there, fact is a fact.

I have to disagree with that.. The TM g36k gearbox design is very similar to a Ver3 gearbox in the front, thus much stroger.

See it here.

Im not meaning to be rude, but thats just how it is. It's not like its useless, in fact it will be just fine. Thats as long as proper shock buffer, sorbothane pad that is, is used in the cylinder head. Even a tm ver2 can take a m170 without issues with sorbothane if everything is working right.

lol BUT ITS NOT HOW IT IS...

Your just assuming... have you seen one break ?? no you havent, do you know why i know you havent becuase no one has.. if someone had i would know about it.

Not to mention the fact ive upgraded and developed many sopmods and other next gen guns, including m120 springs. i mean i ran my sopmod which is new v2, for 2 + years at 350 FPS on lipo with no issues and no cracked gearbox. Exactly how long term are you talking .. 5 years 10 years... if so dont you think its a bit of a pointless statement..

No what your doing is trying to base some out dated v2 knowledge on these guns just beucase you looked at a picture, when the guys with 2 - 3 years experience working with these guns and gearboxs are telling you there are no gearbox casing problems in the long term.

And for the record ive worked on a LOT of guns for customers and i STILL havent seen a cracked version 3 and i never will, personally if your having to resort to so much sorbo i would look at your setup or your skills, or remove the m300 spring you have installed, a good condition cylinder head with its normal padding is plenty sufficent to adsorb the impacts of m90 - m150.

• Like 3

lol BUT ITS NOT HOW IT IS...

Your just assuming... have you seen one break ?? no you havent, do you know why i know you havent becuase no one has.. if someone had i would know about it.

No what your doing is trying to base some out dated v2 knowledge on these guns just beucase you looked at a picture, when the guys with 2 - 3 years experience working with these guns and gearboxs are telling you there are no gearbox casing problems in the long term.

Its called logic. I like to use it in my daily life. I know fairly well the mechanical characteristics of cast zinc, and when its clearly visible in the pictures that the new gearbox has much less material surrounding the cylinder in the front area, simple conclusion is that thus it is weaker. There is no way around that. If you disagree, its OK to me, nothing personal but its against the laws of physics and makes absolutely no sense. :rolleyes:

Fractured gearboxes are very common phenomenom in this region, because of colder weather and higher fps limits. Cold affects the yield strenght of cast zinc quite massively, and if a gearbox is designed for under 1J power and is ran at 400fps in cold weather, you probably understand why gearbox strenght is quite big deal for me. Thats why I critisize TM for not designing their aeg's to withstand higher power.

edit. removed all pointless personal ######.

Edited by Maekl

Where´s the logic using a gearbox above its limits? You know it won´t stand stronger springs in combination with cold weather. Guess what: We came to the same conclusion in Germany. We also have cold winters. And now for the logic in daily life: If they don´t stand stronger springs in winter stop using them. The increase of range just reduced to the effects of a spring is negligible. I tested the range of an AGM MP40 at 0,5 and at 1 Joule and it was nearly the same.

And when blaming Marui for zink alloy gearboxes don´t forget to blame all the others for using this stuff. I´ve seen far more broken through Classic Army M4 and "stock-less" ICS M4 in winter-times then I´ve seen broken V2 gearboxes.... And for more reliability in M4s:

;)

Dont forget we have cold whether in the uk too ...

Logic is listening to the guy whos used his these guns for 2 years with stronger than 1j springs at faster than normal rates of fire.. As apposed to saying you know zinc and it must break becuase you know zinc..

I dare you to buy one of these guns fit one of my 420 fps springs and break this gearbox... You wont becuase its easier to sit on the net criticising a picture and saying your right than actually proving it. Ive used it for 2 years, youve looked at a picture..

Can you see my point ?

I have sopmod owners buy my springs from nearly EVERY single country in the world including lots to america, russia, canada, estonia, norway, germany and sweden just to name a few cold countrys ive sent next gen springs too and none have ever emailed me back saying there gearbox shell has broken.

Its called logic. I like to use it in my daily life. I know fairly well the mechanical characteristics of cast zinc, and when its clearly visible in the pictures that the new gearbox has much less material surrounding the cylinder in the front area, simple conclusion is that thus it is weaker. There is no way around that. If you disagree, its OK to me, nothing personal but its against the laws of physics and makes absolutely no sense. :rolleyes:

Fractured gearboxes are very common phenomenom in this region, because of colder weather and higher fps limits. Cold affects the yield strenght of cast zinc quite massively, and if a gearbox is designed for under 1J power and is ran at 400fps in cold weather, you probably understand why gearbox strenght is quite big deal for me. Thats why I critisize TM for not designing their aeg's to withstand higher power.

edit. removed all pointless personal ######.

Where´s the logic using a gearbox above its limits?

It wouldnt be above its limits if TM would bother not designing them that way! Youre missing my point there..:headbutt:

Logic is listening to the guy whos used his these guns for 2 years with stronger than 1j springs at faster than normal rates of fire.. As apposed to saying you know zinc and it must break becuase you know zinc..

Logic is to think logically based on scientific facts, instead of listening to just one or few persons experience and their point of view affected by their personal opinions of the subject. If I know the mechanical properties of the material, and see how its constructed its easy to create quite accurate predicion what kind of stress it can take. From the photos I can easily conclude that it's properties strenght wise are similar to a TM v2 and likely weaker. You cannot make me think otherwise unless you provide me clear scientific evidence which would prove me wrong, which you cant do.

I dare you to buy one of these guns fit one of my 420 fps springs and break this gearbox... You wont becuase its easier to sit on the net criticising a picture and saying your right than actually proving it. Ive used it for 2 years, youve looked at a picture..

Can you see my point ?

The pictures already proves it, I dont need to prove anything. If I had a test run of this gearbox, the test result wouldnt mean anything, because simply I would have to test several hundred of them in order to create a realistic view of its durability. Only way to test it for sure is to run a realistic computer simulation with other gearbox versions as well and then compare the results.

Can you see my point?

Case closed. ^_^

Edited by Maekl
  • Like 1

The most important thing is: It is YOUR point. Little bit selfish but if you like it in your tiny little selfish world....stay there :P TM designed it that way for use in their specification. You even can´t blame Audi for broken motors when you decide using rocket fuel for higher speeds. Case closed! Try to google "ignorant"

• Like 1
The most important thing is: It is YOUR point. Little bit selfish but if you like it in your tiny little selfish world....stay there :P
There are quite a many other experienced techs who agrees with me. Its not just me and my "tiny little world".

TM designed it that way for use in their specification. You even can´t blame Audi for broken motors when you decide using rocket fuel for higher speeds.

Wait what I dont even...? Did you miss my point entirely? Thats exactly what I'm talking about. Only thinkin the japanese market and perfecting the system to work in THEIR limits, not thinking about other countries and their limits. I would understand it if they only released it in Japan. Thats why some manufacturers release different versions of their guns for different country markets. Now that car metaphore is just silly and doesnt work here.

This discussion has gone too far already. You provoked me to answer in the way I did, if you cant face the facts and call me ignorant instead then ok, then this discussion is pointless and Im personally ending it now. :bye1:

Edited by Maekl

It wouldnt be above its limits if TM would bother not designing them that way! Youre missing my point there..:headbutt:

Logic is to think logically based on scientific facts, instead of listening to just one or few persons experience and their point of view affected by their personal opinions of the subject. If I know the mechanical properties of the material, and see how its constructed its easy to create quite accurate predicion what kind of stress it can take. From the photos I can easily conclude that it's properties strenght wise are similar to a TM v2 and likely weaker. You cannot make me think otherwise unless you provide me clear scientific evidence which would prove me wrong, which you cant do.

The pictures already proves it, I dont need to prove anything. If I had a test run of this gearbox, the test result wouldnt mean anything, because simply I would have to test several hundred of them in order to create a realistic view of its durability. Only way to test it for sure is to run a realistic computer simulation with other gearbox versions as well and then compare the results.

Can you see my point?

Case closed. ^_^

I know the scientific theory too, more than likely better than your self considering I'm one of the top gun techs. that's exactly what it is though theory. Untill some one Does practical testing to prove otherwise. I'm trying to point out your comments are 2 years out of date. Your making the same observations we did 2 years ago, the same thoughts and concerns. But we had to increase the power levels, we had no choice. So we have been making and fitting springs in these gear boxes for years, we are talking hundreads and hundreads now. That's enough of a test amount to get genuine reliable results. This isn't me and my own gun, this is hundreads of players emailing me each week with recoil gun feedback. I would know if there was ever a casing fault.

I know it's a common problem with v2 some manufactures like v2 classic army's more than other, and I still do lots of normal aeg repairs and last week I had 2 normal aegs with broken v2 casings, it's so common that it's almost expected, but I get 4 times more next gen guns in and none have broken casing.

With any product it takes about 2 years to get a list of common problems, the next gen range has it's common problems but broken cases has never ever been one of them.

Just remember practical testing happens after scientific theory it's all part of the same testing process. And we are done testing this platform.

There are quite a many other experienced techs who agrees with me.

Do they also agree with you that a Version 2 Gearbox looks like this?

http://www.anakchan.com/TM-SCAR-L/TM-SCAR-L20.jpg

And I see at least two techs in this thread that don´t agree with you. And Richard has a lot of experience with the new TM boxes. Just to keep you informed: http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=158786&st=0 It´s just a 92-page thread on the TM SOPMOD...to keep you up-to-date ;)

But this gets more and more offtopic....

Aaah, the good old " Don't buy it if you don't like it " discussion ender.

To be used in 3

.... yeah ^^

Ontopic:

I'll be buying this al soon as the Belgian SF get theirs as it's for MilSim.

Hopefully We'll get a CQB length barrel too ^^.

Stealth mosfet, TK twist, M100, Hurricane tan 553 and Tan madpul silencer.

cant wait ;)

Anyone know if/when the black version will be available? I'm pretty desperate to get hold of one!

I read on Marui's site that the Black version will be released on 16th March and then put back to the 30th March, obviously there having a tough time in Japan at the mo so I can appreciate any delays that they have and I think we all understand that airsoft is pretty much tha last thing on most peoples minds!

But at the time or writing I cant access Marui's site, dont know if its my internet or problems with their site? anyone else able to get on?

Sorted, was my browser!

I read that there had been a problem with the receivers on some of the Tan versions and they had been recalled? any more info from anyone?

The problems dont affect my desire to buy as I love my Socom and Im completely converted to the recoil system. And im sure Marui will sort out any problems they've found on the SCAR.

Just really want a black version (what I really want is a SCAR 17s but we cant have everything!)

Edited by Number5

Website works perfect for me. Apparently the rails weren't up to mil spec dimensions so they had to recall them. I cant vouch for this, just what I read on here. Im pretty sure they'll pop up soon, just hold on a bit. Im itching for a tan scar badly, hopefully we'll see that second batch soon, along with the black release!

Edited by BerserkDS
  • 2 weeks later...

I guess I had other things on my mind with all the earthquake/tsunami/radiation commotion in the past month in Tokyo however somehow I missed Laylax releasing a 2-piece outer barrel for the SCAR-L. This is the very thing TM should have done right in the first place. This is more like the VFC-SCAR concept now :-

http://www.laylax.com/SHOP/4560329175460.html

4560329175460_main.jpg

4560329175460_5.jpg

4560329175460_packe.jpg

• 3 weeks later...