Initial Impressions of the TM SCAR-L Recoil Shock AEG System

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In sticking to Gunfighers808 style of Topic Title and Topic Description, this is a very quick initial review of the TM SCAR-L Recoil Shock AEG System released in Japan today. Even though it's released

lol BUT ITS NOT HOW IT IS...   Your just assuming... have you seen one break ?? no you havent, do you know why i know you havent becuase no one has.. if someone had i would know about it.   Not

druid, we gotta have a contest to see who has more TM EBBs! I have the socom and sopmod, i'm selling a few unused AEGs to pick up the TM scar. It's like crack....

Posted Images

Skirmished my Scar-L for the first time on Sunday and when cleaning it today I noticed there's a rattle at the rear of the upper receiver next to the three screws where the MK16 Mod 0 is written.

Edit: I found what I was looking for!

I'll update the thread as soon as I've taken this apart enough to see what's loose!

Thanks!

Edit 2:

Another further observation that someone might be able to shed some light on, I noticed over the course of the day on Sunday that there was a fine metal dust appearing by shell port. It's clearly metal shavings, I assume it's the result of the moving metal parts simply bedding in but just curious if anyone else noticed this at first or if this combined with my rattle is a sign of a more serious issue?

Edited by UncleScar
  • 2 weeks later...

To change the inner barrel, is relatively straight forward. Undo the screw on the top rail under the back sight, the 4 screws(2 either side) nearest to the stock on the sides of the upper receiver and the 6 screws (3 either side) that are held by the 2 black plastic studs just in front of the ejection/hop cover. You will need both hex/allen keys and a torx key. When all the screws are out gently slide the upper forward and off. The whole barrel assembly can then be turned 90 degress and slid out. Be careful when you do it as there is plastic spacer (about 1/2 inch long) that will probably stay in the receiver.It is very importantthat the barrel goes back through it when you put the barrel back as it helps the barrel and hop push against the gear box assembly. With the long outer barrel on it I've managed to fit a 455mm inner barrel that goes to the end of the barrel and can't be seen in the flash hider.

Just follow the instructions above to separate the upper and lower.

Skirmished my Scar-L for the first time on Sunday and when cleaning it today I noticed there's a rattle at the rear of the upper receiver next to the three screws where the MK16 Mod 0 is written.

Edit: I found what I was looking for!

I'll update the thread as soon as I've taken this apart enough to see what's loose!

Thanks!

Edit 2:

Another further observation that someone might be able to shed some light on, I noticed over the course of the day on Sunday that there was a fine metal dust appearing by shell port. It's clearly metal shavings, I assume it's the result of the moving metal parts simply bedding in but just curious if anyone else noticed this at first or if this combined with my rattle is a sign of a more serious issue?

I've noticed this rattle too. Anyone know what this is? Id rather not take the gun apart to find out...

The rattle is one of the little springs that make up the recoil mechanism. Nothing to be worried about!

During my Skirmish today my bolt-release stopped working and my gun continued to dry fire after I'd emptied my mags.

The mechanism itself looks fine but I'll need to strip the rifle to inspect it.

However, my impressions other than these little "niggles" are absolutely brilliant. I'm really impressed with the gun out of the box, it's really accurate, sounds amazing and the regularity of people asking me if it's gas has to be a good thing!

Pulled the trigger a couple of days ago on the TM SCAR-H. UPS tracking says it'll be delivered by the end of the day. I got the FDE version state side as Echigoya was out of stock. Ended up paying $9 more than if I would have gotten it from Echigoya which isn't too bad as I didn't want to wait for them to re-stock the FDE- Heavy.

What's the longest barrel length I can stick with the short setup? From what I've read/seen...you could fit a longer barrel (than the 300mm it comes with) without it showing out of the flash hider when viewed sideways. I've heard that the 363mm inner barrel will need to be cut down so it doesn't show.

Ended up purchasing a hi-cap mag for now. Having 4 mags on a rig I imagine will be way bulky. When I go the standard mag route, I'll probably have a couple on my chest rig, and a spare one on my belt....plus a hi-cap on one or the other. I don't plan on stacking two mags one in front of the other.

At the local AEX, the H was shooting up to 310 FPS without the hop being set. When I get mine, I'll set the hop, chrono, and report back. :)

Fudge...I need to get myself some male deans plugs!

20120329_185637.jpg

20120330_011113.jpg

With the hop turned off, my TM SCAR-H was shooting 302-307 FPS with Bioval .20g BBs. With AONW Tracer .20g BBs, I was shooting 307-313 FPS. Chrono used was an Xcortech 3200.

Freshly charged 8.4v 1600mah NIMH chucked out bbs as high as 17.62 bbs per second.

After work, I'll be heading out to purchase a 7.4v lipo for it.Going to be leaning towards a 25c discharge and not the 45c ones.

My buddy (Sacairdagger) already wired my H for deans. Fuse holder and fuse has been removed as well

My VFC SCAR had the same. Annoying but nothing serious.

The rattle is one of the little springs that make up the recoil mechanism. Nothing to be worried about!

The rattle could be taken as RS accurate:

http://kitup.military.com/2011/01/some-problems-in-the-field-with-mk-17-scar.html

:)

Honzo....I was uisng my samsung galaxy s2's phone camera.

With the hop turned off and a Prometheus 6.03mm x 341mm barrel (cut down from a 363mm thanks SacairDagger) installed, I was shooting bioval .2g bbs with hop off at 308-317. The AONW .2g tracer bbs were shooting at 321-325 fps.

Upon take down, I noticed that the front end was drenched with silicone oil. I had to spray the parts down with electronic parts cleaner and clean the screw holes with q-tips so blue loctite can be used.

The wiring was also re-done (again). Fuse plate was taken out. Deans plugs were installed. Shrink tubing was used. Photos later on.

Chrono used for the above entry was that of an Excortech 3200. Few photos of little things done to the MK17.

Prommy 6.03mm x 341mm Tightbore Barrel. All outer barrel extensions were removed for this to keep the MK17 as compact as possible. Here's what a 341mm length barrel will get out to in the H's flash hider:

20120331_234856.jpg

Original fuse holder was removed, Wires were trimmed down, extension wires added along with deans plugs. Shrink tubing kept the wires together to protect them from possible snags from movement of the wires. Note that the wires are clipped into place (next to where the battery would be) to make it tidy. Shrink tubing was around the clipped area to prevent the insulation of the wiring from wearing down. All this is not necessary however but was done as personal preference as it makes sense to me to have it set up like so.

20120331_234759.jpg

20120331_234656.jpg

View with a Hyperion 7.4v 1800mah 35C lipo in the stock. Battery fits in the space like a glove and does not wiggle.

20120402_141059.jpg

20120402_141137.jpg

There's some extra space. If the battery would have been 3/4" longer and maybe a higher mah then it'd have been super duper perfect. Right now...awesome will have to do. HAHA!

----------------

I've also put new parts in my SCAR-H. Installed a set of Lonex metal bushings and SHS steel gear set. I replaced the stock spring with a cut down Guarder SP100 spring. The spring's tighter coils were cut down so it was the same length at the stock spring.

The Lonex metal bushings for the Next Gen AEG is a press fit. Its not loose nor it is super tight. The SHS steel gear set needed re-shimming.

Gears were re-greased, piston head and piston were re-lubricated as needed.

After installing the gears and shimming it (without the grease). I screwed all the screws in to check the movement of the gear set and they all spun freely together. I put everything together and fired the TM SCAR-H. As with the SHS next gen gear set in my TM M4 SOCOM, the gun sounded smooth. No motor or gear whine just like how it was out of the box.

Hop has been set for Javelin .25g BBs. I will chrono post up readings when possible.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Great updates guy's, I finally have my Scar-L and am loving it so far.

Has anyone one tried using Magpul 120 round PMags in their Scar? I don't currently own any but like the idea of a 120 round midcap mag.

Pmags look good but if you use them the gearbox lock won't work when the mag runs dry . Don't know about others but for me that defies the whole point of having a TM recoil .