New Technologies in Airsoft

AirsoftBuyer1234

Flicking through the internet, I came across this

http://www.raidentech.com/hewicaco13da.html

Basically it's an RC helicopter with a camera attached, which will send back live video footage to your screen (aka phone).

Personally I think it's quite clever, and couldn't help thinking it would be quite useful for airsofting - the cheapskate alternative to a US military drone.

I watched a vid on YT, and choppers like this can take a bb w/o crashing, so I thought it might have a bit of potential, either as it is or with minimal adjustment.

So, anyways; do you think this would be a worthwhile investment, or a complete waste of time. And have you come across any other kit that could be adapted for airsoft use?

Thanks

I hate to say it.... if you have money to burn, then buy one.

It will be shot to bits on an open walk on game day, it may work on a mil-sim limited ammo game day.

You are bringing a spy drone into play, the enemy will try to take it out of play. This crops up now and then on other forums and the response is the same, if you can afford to do it then make one, dont be surprised when everyone decideds to try and shoot it down.

However, thats a plan, distract everyone with a drone.....

And some health and safety issues site operators might have with a RC heli crashing on some kids head.... nice idea, would add an extra dimension to game play but the odds of ever doing it are stacked against it :( in the UK.

(i would love to see this happen, dont think i will)

Assuming a site operator thought it in keeping with the rules and H&S- It might work on a big game on a very large site....I think about the big games I've played on 200 acre+ woodland sites and the dense tree canopy would make flying one of these a nightmare at best.

Maybe on a big open site like Copehill Down... But whatever tiny advantage might be gained by a 'micro recon drone' is massively outweighed by the butt-ache of lugging it around until you need it and the butt-ache of having to retreive it when it gets shot down or you crash it into a tree or it runs out of batteries.....Are you really going to sling arms and trudge off to find this (or the pieces of it) when in the middle of a good game.

Fundamentally, it's a lot easier to send a fleet-of-foot sacrificial lamb into that potential ambush site....You can at least buy them a beer later to say sorry if they get peppered.

I was thinking it might work if you're with a good teammate, and on easy to move through terrain, so you could operate it while walking forward. That way you could constantly be looking maybe 100m ahead with it so you don't walk into ambushes... could also be good for room clearing on CQB but then it really would need some extra armour.

We've been flying FPV aircraft (not UAVs they are not autonomous) at a few games and for the most part they aren't really helpful unless your team is really bad at relaying info back to those in command.... The do make for some cool footage. However no matter what you say in the pre-game brief about how you'll kick those who shoot at it out of the game, people will still shoot at it, so be prepared to loose your FPV aircraft.

For armour, I was thinking of using a plastic lid from one of those industrial paint pots, with a small hole cut out so the camera can see through. BBs won't go through it, and if I strap it to the bottom of the heli and keep it high and level, they wouldn't be able to get an actual hit on the heli. My only concern is enough shots on the lid might still destabilise the heli and drop it...

I was thinking it might work if you're with a good teammate, and on easy to move through terrain, so you could operate it while walking forward. That way you could constantly be looking maybe 100m ahead with it so you don't walk into ambushes... could also be good for room clearing on CQB but then it really would need some extra armour.

I think a few people in this thread are underestimating just how challenging RC helicopters and the like are to fly.

Any heli that is good enough to used outdoors (eg has enough power and mass to be able to withstand small winds) is going to be heavy, unlike the foam/plastic indoor heli's that have been really popular of late. This proposes some serious safety issues. In the UK it is advised that you get public liability insurance from our Flying Association as the injuries that can be caused by a fixed or rotary wing model are at best 'not trivial'. I doubt any airsoft site's insurance will cover you bringing an RC plane/heli/drone/airship/albatross etc into the play area either.

The idea of walking over anything but billiard table flat terrain whilst concentraiting on keeping your tacticool drone in the air doesn't appeal to me at all. Add to that the chances of being shot at and you've got a recipie for disaster. The only way I can see this working is if you assign a dedicated 'drone pilot' that has to stay within an area and wears a marshals jacket. He can then relay information to the team commander. Perhaps have some rules about shooting a prop/target next to him that makes him disable the camera on the drone.

There are a few other things to put in the cons section too:

CQB is never going to happen, far too dangerous.

limited line of site between you an drone at most sites.

Limited flight time (lipo and glow fuel models tend to be airborn for less than 10 minutes)

Expensive. Outdoor capable heli's are not cheap and are fragile. You will crash it... it will cost you a fortune!

Limited usefulness. At airsoft gun ranges, I cant see that much use for any intel a drone could gather.

The quality of video that can be relaid over commercial datalinks is in my experience quite poor... so you need to get your drone close!

That all came across as rather negative! As someone that fly's RC aircraft as a passtime and plays airsoft regularly I'd love it if this was something that was practial, but I just don't see it I'm afraid.

Sorry to put a dampener on things.

Did you ever think about an RC car with a camera on it? Perhaps with a few servos you could add on a tornado grenade and have one of the servo arms pull the pin on command.

Personally I have built all kinds of RC stuff, especially autonomous UAVs and I find that for the price losing them because some dumbass decided to shoot it is bad enough, let alone the risk of a 1-2lb object falling into someone at about 60mph from 200 ft up....

Sounds fun, but would be better to spy on people without having a big banner saying "I'm over here" =D.

Video camera on a camo pole ;)

But on a serious note I've been working on a project now involving a remote controlled, tracked vehicle with a belt fed machine gun. I've got all the technical drawings done and I need to built a prototype but I should have a working model within 18 months (due to work commitments).

No ones ever going to shoot at something that can shoot back.

Josh

For an aircraft or vehicle you'd want to have some sort of "kill" button so the opposing team could take it out of action or shut down the camera.

I don't agree with the idea that someone would take it and smash it to pieces in a temper tantrum, that's not OK for any prop or other person's piece of gear.

Flat out saying "this is too expensive to shoot so leave it alone is bull though. I have a real EOTech on one AEG; it has a shield on the front but not the back. Should I say other players can't shoot near me because I chose and expensive optic? Of course not, and the same goes for anyone else with fancy gear that gives them an advantage.

The only other option is to build two, and hand one off to the other team to balance the sides. The idea that "Who Spends Wins" is abhorrent to me. If that's the way the game is to be played everyone should just pull out their wallets at the start line and biggest one wins.

The idea that "Who Spends Wins" is abhorrent to me. If that's the way the game is to be played everyone should just pull out their wallets at the start line and biggest one wins.

But it is played that way. M203s, better performing replicas, more efficient or effective gear, investing money and time to practice or train, that all comes down to who invests more money or can afford to invest more time. Money is the deciding factor, although all of the stuff discussed in this thread can be had for less than the price of a high quality AEG, I can go to walmart and buy an RC "spy car" for $20. If unfair advantages due to money truly bothers you I suggest you move somewhere that dosen't follow a capitalist mindset, otherwise you will find that the "who spends, wins" doctrine is invasive and true of just about every facet of your existence.

If you are clever enough to figure out how to use a UAV or a RC car, you deserve that advantage, I have no right to shoot at it or attempt to destroy it either as that is classified as destruction of private property and is illegal here in the US. If I did bring something like we are discussing to a game, I would have it established that it is not to be shot at, and if destroyed intentionally I would expect to be reimbursed for it's value. Your EOTech example is flawed (mostly because a BB should not damage the lens considering they are ment to withstand 5.56 rounds), that is not intentional, accidents do happen, but you don't accidentally pick up an RC car and put it in a tree or accidentally shoot down RC aircraft overhead.

I don't think it's quite a matter of who spends most wins, but there's definitely an edge to be had. It's a bit like real life tbh - you can buy a perfectly decent shotgun for £200, or spend £60,000 on one. The £60,000 one will be better, but a good shot with the £200 one will beat a rich newcomer at any competition you can think of. Equipment gives an edge, but doesn't decide the battle.

Equipment gives an edge, but doesn't decide the battle.

Completely agree with that. It can however deliver an overwhelming advantage in some circumstances (cavalry v tanks in WWI) but I don't think it can really do that in airsoft. As I said before the surveillance equipment is about as useful as a radio is, usually only slightly faster at relaying info, calling it "imbalance" is a bit far fetched, it's more a "niftyness factor" thing.

However I do agree with Danke about the RC car with an AEG on top. The inability to disable it would be a difficult advantage to overcome if it was placed in a good spot, however; I would expect something like it to be slow, so avoidance may be the best policy.

But it is played that way. M203s, better performing replicas, more efficient or effective gear, investing money and time to practice or train, that all comes down to who invests more money or can afford to invest more time. Money is the deciding factor, although all of the stuff discussed in this thread can be had for less than the price of a high quality AEG, I can go to walmart and buy an RC "spy car" for $20. If unfair advantages due to money truly bothers you I suggest you move somewhere that dosen't follow a capitalist mindset, otherwise you will find that the "who spends, wins" doctrine is invasive and true of just about every facet of your existence.

If you are clever enough to figure out how to use a UAV or a RC car, you deserve that advantage, I have no right to shoot at it or attempt to destroy it either as that is classified as destruction of private property and is illegal here in the US. If I did bring something like we are discussing to a game, I would have it established that it is not to be shot at, and if destroyed intentionally I would expect to be reimbursed for it's value. Your EOTech example is flawed (mostly because a BB should not damage the lens considering they are ment to withstand 5.56 rounds), that is not intentional, accidents do happen, but you don't accidentally pick up an RC car and put it in a tree or accidentally shoot down RC aircraft overhead.

I mentioned that having a temper tantrum and smashing the drone against a tree is not ok. I've seen people kicked off the boat for much less.

In the real world an AFV or aircraft can be shot down by a rocket, or destroyed by a mine. Both items are in wide supply in the real world so not unlikely outcomes. Creating some sort of unstopable device that the other team has no counter for will only result in frustration.

What I find that most of the people who really love the idea of an eye in the sky are the very new players with enough games under their belt to have realized airsoft isn't a video game but not enough experince to win the battle. They're on the hunt for a shortcut; maybe a 600 foot sniper rifle, or a 1 pound riot shield in woodland, or UAV so they can try and find the other guys before they get shot. Now that may not be you but it sure sounds like the guy who started this thread.

Your EOTech example is flawed (mostly because a BB should not damage the lens considering they are ment to withstand 5.56 rounds)

Just to warn you before you plunk down a wad of bills for one, they can shatter even with airsoft projectiles. Had a friend come to the site with one before, went home looking like a rain-soaked kitten what with his broken $400 optic.

Yep lots of real EOTechs get shot out,& the idea is that they keep working even if that's the case. Of course for a style conscious player you would have to get it fixed.

Same for night vision; as a plus it would give a huge advantage in a night game but as a minus but it's fragile you could cover the front but not the back. You can't say "don't shoot the guy with NODs because they're fragile, even though he's got an advantage and is shooting at you. No one would sign on to play that way.

Archived