ASG Spectre Modular Weapon System

So, debating what to spend my Christmas money on I went to Airsoft Armoury today and spent about an hour deciding what to buy. I saw the Spectre MWS stuff laying about and asked who ASG had rebranded this time, to my surprise they have actually gone ahead and rebranded VFC stuff. Having not owned VFC before and also because the modular nature of it all I decided to take the plunge. I bought a lower receiver with a crane stock and a CQB upper receiver.

First Impressions

I walked out of the shop carrying the gun in two pieces, drove to KFC, had food and went home. As soon as I got home Both boxes were opened as quickly as humanly possible and the gun was together in less than a minute. A note about the packaging, this isn't your usual affair with airsoft boxes. There is no polystyrene loveliness holding it all in the box, it is basically a sealed bag holding whatever you bought that's been cable tied into the box. Simple, less waste and the sealed bag offers some sort of assurance that this gun is 'fresh'.

Whilst flicking it about, getting it into different shooting positions and overall trying to find external niggles I simply couldn't. Regardless of the fact that this gun is meant to be taken to pieces every so often there is zero wobble between the receivers. The only thing that had any play what so ever was the stock and that's a problem on just about every telescopic stock out there. The body pins don't come out fully so there's no chance of losing them.

A Closer Look

One thing that surprised me was the fact that the pistol grip is slightly thinner than a standard one. Compared to my G&G SCAR and King Arms M4A1 the grip is noticeably thinner, now I can see that as both a good and bad thing. Good because it's a bit nicer to hold, bad because there is a chance other motors won't fit properly or higher gauge wiring will interfere with the motor placement. Pistol grips are a dime a dozen out there so it's not a problem.

Another nice feature is the bolt lock, exactly the same as the one found on King Arms bodies, the bolt will lock back when you pull the charging handle. A quick tap of the bolt release will send it home with a nice click. Handy for hop adjustment but if you're not careful and end up misshaping the fake bolt during disassembly then you lose the fun part of the fake bolt going forwards, it gets stuck and annoys you.

The body is a nice matte black and features YHM (Yankee Hill Machine co.) trademarks, annoyingly in 6mm flavour. I like my trades as real as I can get, the YHM as I now know is a real steel manufacturer, but having 6mm engraved on the lower receiver just makes it lose it's appeal. The magwell is big enough to accept pretty much any magazine you throw at it and they drop free nicely as well, unlike my KA M4. The finish is very even with no marks or blemishes.

The delta ring is the stiffest one I've come across (oo er missus!) and getting the fore grips off were a pain in the backside. Eventually after much swearing and the help of a flat head screwdriver, the grips were released and I could have some fun messing with configurations. Clone Magpul MOE grips fit great with no movement and Dboys KAC Ris grips fit with a little bit of play, but nothing a bit of padding couldn't solve.

The lower is rear wired to the Crane stock, the only other available receiver is wired to an M16 stock. My original plan was to front wire it, but seems as I've not even let off one round out of it, it would be a shame not to be able to test this without having taken the gearbox apart first. I only own mini NIMH batteries at the moment so these won't fit the crane stock. I'm certain that there should be room in the stock tube for a lipo battery but this is something I need a lipo battery to test. ;)

Conclusion So Far

So far I am very impressed, everything goes together perfectly, the gun is finished nicely and it all seems rather well thought out. Once I get round to it, I'll fire off some round for an accuracy test, get some pics up and let you know how this little beasty performs.

In the mean time, here's an example of what you can do with it.

M4CQB.jpg

*EDIT* Yes it's a ###### picture, couldn't find my camera so had to make do.

Edited by Wild_XIII

Just had an opportunity to chrono this, most shots were hitting around the 344-48 mark with a few at 350 odd and a single one crashing the party at 374 FPS. That was the 3rd shot through the chrono and the rest were around 340 so I'm sure it'll pass the chrono. This was using AIM Top .20g BB's.

By torch light, it seems as good as any normal M4, pretty accurate as well but I'll test it more during day light and get some target's shot up and posted on here for people to see.

So far everything is nice and smooth. 9/10 at the moment.

I managed to take this out for a skirmish on Sunday and was thoroughly impressed with the performance. It chrono'd on the site chrono at 340 FPS and was easily matching every other AEG for range. Accuracy out of the box was quite good as well. I ran it with a 7.4v 800maH lipo battery in the stock tube and the rate of fire was a touch slow. A better battery or mosfet will improve this, just need to decide which one to get now. ;)

Here's the gun in stock form (or stock as I bought it considering you can mix and match the uppers and lowers).

IMAG0404.jpg

And here's the config I used when I took it out.

IMAG0406.jpg

Overall I'm impressed with with the gun and once I gave the barrel a clean and a quick wrap in PTFE tape the accuracy was much better.

I rate it at 9/10, the price might be a bit off putting for people but so far it's proving itself to be quite a solid performer.

• 9 months later...