Real Sword Type 97B

Real Sword Type 97B Review

Well I have been using the Real Sword 97 most of the 2010 season and just enjoyed the way it handles. So I have picked up the Real Sword 97B AEG, which is great for CQB and as an assault rifle. During this review I will reference/compare the 97B to the 97 model. There are many things similar between the two and a few things that are different.

gallery_66130_1813_28836.jpg

Table of Contents

First Impressions

Real Steel History

Appearance/Feel/Build Quality

Internals

Performance

Pros & Cons

Personal Opinion

Mods

First Impression

With this being my third Real Sword purchased I have become use to receiving a well package product that is design to protect everything in its contents. When I open the box the first thing I all ways see, is the Japanese Certificate meeting the one joule limit (I live in Japan so there’s a one joule limit).

gallery_66130_1813_8037.jpg

The purchase includes the following items; Type 97B AEG, Small Tool Kit, Oil Container, 130 Round Mag, Extra Muzzle Cover (Not The Orange One That Came With It), Cleaning Rod, BB Loader, Owner’s Manual and a Quick Reference Taken Down Guide. Battery is not included with the AEG and is a custom type. At this point I am very pleased with my purchased.

gallery_66130_1813_23294.jpg

Real Steel History

From what I have been able to learn about the 97b is that there is not a whole lot of information about this weapon open to the public. With that being said here is what I was able to find out about it: Type 97B short assault rifle, a member of the type 97 5.56mm gun family, inherits all the advantages of 97 gun family. Compact size, the overall length of 97B assault rifle is 620mm. Light weight, with unloaded magazine it only weighs 3.1kg. The smart gun can function as a sub machine gun with high performance. It adopts the 5.56 mm bullet, such as SS109, M193 ammunition, and the effective range is 300 meters. Its power is nearly the same as rifle. Type 97B is usually equipped to special operation forces, the armed helicopter operators, and guarders for important members of government. Due to this kind of reason, there is only little information about type 97B. As more about Chinese weapons were learned by people, type 97B attracts more and more people’s eyes. The most distinguishing feature of this gun is the muzzle device, with trumpet-shape flash hider in the front part and thick cylinder design in the back part. When firing, it can reduce the blaze and noise. The unique pistol grip make holding the gun very comfortable and can restrain the muzzle jumping. Type 97B uses the same materials and techniques as type 97. The stock, grip, upper hand guards are made of high strength polymer, and frame is forged with duralumin, CNC processed. Thus the overall weight is reduced. The hard-coat anodizing finish on surface enforces the rigidity, wear ability and anticorrosion of frame, which makes it more nice and practical. Scope mount can use white light, glimmer and red dot sight, etc.

The magazine port of type 97B is straight and button type, which is compatible with US M16 and Belgium FNC assault rifle.

Appearance/Feel/Build Quality

First time handling the 97B AEG, I find how much lighter it is compared to the type 97, it is how ever somewhat rear heavy do to the location of the mechbox (which is the same as the 97 at the rear of the AEG). Movement and handling of the 97B is easy, turning concerns, tight spaces you find that you have a great CQB weapon but still able to fulfill a role as a Standard Assault Rifle. All of the steel and polymer used on both the 97B and 97 are the same (High Quality). The front and rear sights are located on the top of the carrying handle. One thing that is needed with the 97B is to make shore after each usage that the AEG is wiped down with some kind of gun oil to prevent rust from starting.

gallery_66130_1813_21631.jpg

There are only three markings on the 97B, same as the 97. The serial, select switch and warning label

gallery_66130_1813_13390.jpggallery_66130_1813_20362.jpg

The hop up adjustment is easy, pull back the charging handle and it will open the ejection port exposing the adjustment knob. The port only opens about half of a inch or so (same as the 97). The mag release is on the same side as your ejection port and hop up (same as the 97).

gallery_66130_1680_3566.jpg

As with the 97b and 97 the mount for your scopes, red dots and so on, was thought out. They used a good heavy peace of steel that was lathed and set in the carrying handle. What you see is that the steel can support the weight, but also that the carrying handle re enforce the rail system for your scope/red dots. Care should be taken with the 97B when removing the carry handle since your front sight mount is located here.

gallery_66130_1813_11685.jpggallery_66130_1813_15971.jpg

To Be Continued

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Care should be taken when removing the carry handle due to the front and rear site being located in /on it

gallery_66130_1813_2501.jpggallery_66130_1813_15971.jpg

Your front hand grip is setup with you wrapping your fingers around it but not your thumb. The thumb actually gets placed above the grip in the indentation made for it, see picture.

gallery_66130_1813_3341.jpg

Internals

The internals of the 97B and 97 are quite the same except for two things, the first is not that big of a deal the inner brawl is shorter and the other witch does make a difference is the motor. On the 97B is a high speed motor where on the 97 you have a high torque motor. Brake down of the 97B is basically the same as that of the 97(if you see the number 97 at the end of a number section, it means it is the same take down as the 97):

1. Push though the rear stock pin (pin does not remove from the side wall), then remove the rear stock when pulling the cocking lever to the rear. Pull the cocking lever to the rear and remove the screw on the dust cover. This will expose the mechobox (97).

gallery_66130_1813_11154.jpggallery_66130_1813_1282.jpg

2. Remove the fixed screw on the rear trigger lever. Set the selector lever to the A position and pull the trigger. The trigger lever will break lose (97).

gallery_66130_1813_12484.jpg

3. Pull the upper carry handle back and upwards to remove it. Be careful here; remember your front site is part of the carrying handle now. Also there is a small push pin on the front of you front site, you will have to push in to remove the handle.

gallery_66130_1813_3122.jpggallery_66130_1813_3100.jpg

4. Remove the lower hand guard pin. Pull the lower hand guard down and forward and remove it (97).

gallery_66130_1813_3091.jpg

5. Look down were the trigger is and this is where you place your battery(97). As for the battery it may be better to leave it in for recharging, but for long term storage its best to breakdown the AEG and remove it. Recharging can be done though the bottom of the hand grip. Here’s an option for you if you don’t want to use the custom battery, try a LIPO, it will fit in the trigger handle. Also a link to Real Sword about the custom battery 9.6 volt http://www.realsword.com.hk/faq4.htm

gallery_66130_1813_93125.png

To Be Continued

6. Remove the fixed screw on the rear part of the mecbox, this will allow you to remove the mecbox (97)

gallery_66130_1813_13979.jpg

7. Remove the two screws holding your hop up unit in place. Then pull back on the unit to remove the inner barrel. The inner barrel length is 360mm and it is that of a stock barrel of 6.05 and the hop up rubber is that of a stock AEG. 97B and 97 use the same hopup unit.

gallery_66130_1813_1302.jpggallery_66130_1680_9416.jpg

Over all take down is not that hard, but if you are not use to it, it can take time. All the metal is well oiled and fits well together. No lose parts or wobbles that I can see. The hopup unit is a very tight fit and care should be taken when re installing it.

The Mechbox

The mechbox is the same that is used in the 97, except for the motor. Also both models allow for the quick change of the spring. One of the nice things about this mechbox is the fact it not overly greased.

• The outer cover of the mechboxs has a finished coating to it, you can also see the 7mm ball bearings.

• Spring is a SP90 with a polycarb spring guide with metal base.

• Reinforced piston and ball bearing piston head

• The gears are well made, are up to standards and made out of steel. As for the shimming on this is almost dead on.

• Standard cylinder

• Remember you have a high speed motor with the 97B

gallery_66130_1813_300.jpggallery_66130_1813_11879.jpg

gallery_66130_1813_393.jpggallery_66130_1813_16793.jpg

Over all the mechbox is well designed and cable of taking almost anything you though at it.

To Be Continued in the next couple of days (performance, pros & cons, personal opinion and planed mods)

Edited by wilekcmc

Very nice!!! I can't wait to hear about what battery you use and how you like it compared to other AEGs!

Thanks for the thumbs up on this ;)

Here is a little teaser on the battery part:

type 97 with mosfet, upgrade wiring and using a 11.1 volt lipo at 20C 1300mah gives me 21 rps

type 97B stock with no mods using a 11.1 volt lipo at 20C 1300mah gives me 27 rps (madness in some ways)

Thanks for the review!

Can you also comment on the magazine itself? I'm hoping that the RS midcaps can match the practical durability of a magpul p-mag (i.e. numerous drop mag actions on a concrete floor will not damage the mag itself, save for some scratches and dents, but not aiming for dropping the mag two stories high to a concrete floor and achieving the same results). I'm planning to get the Type 97B in the future but for now, I'm planning to get myself a couple of RS steel M16 mags for my current HK416 so I can save myself the hassle of getting more RS mags in the future when I buy the 97B for CQB games and leave the 416 for outdoors.

Also, do you have any other brand of AEGs that uses the RS M16 midcaps? Can you comment on their compatability?

Thanks for the review!

Can you also comment on the magazine itself? I'm hoping that the RS midcaps can match the practical durability of a magpul p-mag (i.e. numerous drop mag actions on a concrete floor will not damage the mag itself, save for some scratches and dents, but not aiming for dropping the mag two stories high to a concrete floor and achieving the same results). I'm planning to get the Type 97B in the future but for now, I'm planning to get myself a couple of RS steel M16 mags for my current HK416 so I can save myself the hassle of getting more RS mags in the future when I buy the 97B for CQB games and leave the 416 for outdoors.

Also, do you have any other brand of AEGs that uses the RS M16 midcaps? Can you comment on their compatability?

The Real Sword mid caps are made out of sheet metal and can take a good drop, but my only problem with them is they will rust on you, from time to time you will have to wipe them down with oil. As for there compatibility with other AEG's, it was mentioned in the thread for the G&G 2010 as a possible mag to use (could be wrong, it's been a while). I have used them in my son's D-boys PDW with out any problems.

Quote from my t97 review: Mags are easy to come by if you stay with the metal ones, I tried the Real Sword Mid Cap, Airsoft Elite High Cap, and the King Arms Magpul mag (but you will need to file down the outer lip on the left side of this mag, it is a tight fit).

Hope this helps?

The Real Sword mid caps are made out of sheet metal and can take a good drop, but my only problem with them is they will rust on you, from time to time you will have to wipe them down with oil. As for there compatibility with other AEG's, it was mentioned in the thread for the G&G 2010 as a possible mag to use (could be wrong, it's been a while). I have used them in my son's D-boys PDW with out any problems.

Quote from my t97 review: Mags are easy to come by if you stay with the metal ones, I tried the Real Sword Mid Cap, Airsoft Elite High Cap, and the King Arms Magpul mag (but you will need to file down the outer lip on the left side of this mag, it is a tight fit).

Hope this helps?

Thanks for the info!biggrin.gif

Performance

Chrono using SIIS .20g BB’s, please remember I live in Japan where there is a 1 joule limit (320 fps):

1st shot 298 fps

2nd shot 292 fps

3rd shot 297 fps

4th shot 295 fps

5th shot 299 fps

Rate of fire tested with the following batteries for 97B stock:

NIMH 8.4 volt =12 Rounds Per Second

Lipo 7.4 volt 20C at 2200mah = 12 Rounds Per Second

Lipo 11.1 volt 20C at 1300mah = 24 Rounds Per Second

Rate of fire tested for the 97 after upgrades:

NIHM 9.6V = 15 Rounds Per Second

Lipo 7.4V = 12 Rounds Per Second

Lipo 11.1V = 20 Rounds Per Second

gallery_66130_1813_9216.jpg

Mags are easy to come by if you stay with the metal ones, I tried the Real Sword Mid Cap, Airsoft Elite High Cap, and the King Arms Magpul mag (but you will need to file down the outer lip on the left side of this mag, it is a tight fit). The mag housing are the same and these are the same mags I used when reviewing my T97.

The range I tested at was at 25 meters and every shot had a decent grouping, BB’s used was SIIS .2 grams.

Pros

As with the T97 I basically have the same pros on the 97B when it comes done to build quality (high quality and fit well to gather), rear hand grip for the trigger is at a good length for me, and mages. This is the standard that I have found with all of the Real Sword Products.

Cons

The only thing I have against the 97 lineup is the battery, it requires a brake down of the AEG each time you remove or install a battery. See my mod section to see what I have done to fix this problem. Also with the front for grip, I don’t like the idea of the base of it being left open, to easy for dirt and other things to get to the inside of the AEG (should remember that this a replica of the original 97B and kept true to the Real Steel design).

Personal Opinion

With the Real Sword 97B I have an AEG that works well as a CQB weapon and able to change to the assault role if needed. The weight allows for easy movement around/though sharp concerns or obstacles. For the dollar value and quality of manufacturing. I can’t beat it, very few companies try to keep true with the real steel weapons, but Real Sword has kept true to making a fantastic replica.

As for my P90 and MP5 I find that the 97B will easy surpass them out of the box performance. This is not a slam against other manufactures; there are some great companies out there that I have yet to try. It will be interesting to see this coming season how well the 97b works for me over my P90, custom G36C (short stocked) and of course the 97 on the field. In the end I really didn’t find much of a difference between the two except for their roles as QCB or Assault Rifle, the choice is really up to you the player.

gallery_66130_1813_8033.jpg

Mods

These are the mods I plan on during in the near future:

• Mounting a PEQ15 Red Laser & Li-Po battery between the front site and the carrying handle.

• Installing a Mosfest

• Wiring upgrade to 16 AWG Silicone Wire

• Tight bore barrel

• 2 months later...

During this past weekend we had our first match of the year and i brought out my 97B. I must say it was a blast to use, easy to wheeled and some what lite to carry. With no wind for the day i was able to get 40 meter shots off. The full auto with a 11.1 volt lipo is awesome/intermediating.

P1070390.jpg

• 1 month later...

Been looking to change to lipos but I'm not sure which ones will fit the lower reciever/handgrip of the Type 97. Any advice, seeing as you're using lipos?

The battery that some people use is the 7.4V 850mAh 25C+ Type 97 http://www.landwarriorairsoft.com/acatalog/LiPo_Airsoft_Batteries.html

You can find the original topic on the real sword 97 lipo battery here http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=180446&st=0

Hope this helps you out.

I made me a new trigger rod for my T97B.

It has a small angle to the front so the triger rod is out of the way and i can fit bigger type lipos.

If you guys wish i can post pictures oder even produce some more of them for you want me to.

The litp that fits now is this one here:

http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/269712/LiPo-Akku-20C-31600-111V-G35/SHOP_AREA_20058&promotionareaSearchDetail=005

.. it runs great and the trigger is working perfect now :)

Edited by NookieOne

I made me a new trigger rod for my T97B.

It has a small angle to the front so the triger rod is out of the way and i can fit bigger type lipos.

If you guys wish i can post pictures oder even produce some more of them for you want me to.

The litp that fits now is this one here:

http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/269712/LiPo-Akku-20C-31600-111V-G35/SHOP_AREA_20058&promotionareaSearchDetail=005

.. it runs great and the trigger is working perfect now :)

Yes please post some pics of the trigger rod, i would like to see it.

pict3666ql5z.jpg

My triggerrods are made of stainless steel and are cnc lasercut.

.. sorry for my rusty english skills ;)

Edit:

I run my T97B with a G&P M140 Motor.

With a 11V lipo i dont have any responsetime ... closely.

Absolutely recommend it!

Edited by NookieOne

NookieOne, i like what you have done, need to think about doing the same thing ;)

What is your rps with the G&P 140, also what kind of fet are you using?

I have added the Extreme-Fire sw-cheetah-2n, it gives me the option of a 3 round burst and allows me to set the motor speed for semi auto. This fet is a beast jumped my rps up to 27.

gallery_66130_1813_11883.jpg

gallery_66130_1813_5944.jpg

NookieOne wrote.. sorry for my rusty english skills ;)
don't worry about it, you should hear me after a bottle of good sochu ;) many tongues are spoken lol

I use a IRF3703 FET on my custom made laser cut cooling thingy ... simple switching without breaking or all the other stuff.

My T97B is also rewired to 1,5mm² and Dean connectors.

The fuse is removed too .. so its realy fast shooting now.

I dont know if i can crack the 27rps mark since im using the RS M120 spring and the tuned RS springguide.

Maybe i can chrono the gun for rps this weekend! -i´ll post the results here.

Edited by NookieOne

pict3666ql5z.jpg

My triggerrods are made of stainless steel and are cnc lasercut.

.. sorry for my rusty english skills ;)

Edit:

I run my T97B with a G&P M140 Motor.

With a 11V lipo i dont have any responsetime ... closely.

Absolutely recommend it!

*in Borat accent* Very Nice, how much?

I want one, can you ship it to U.S. and does it work with the long Type 97?

Also, about the motor; did everyone just cut it for fitting or are there short enough ones out there?

Edited by adadqgg

http://www.kotte-zeller.de/G%26P-M140-High-Torque-Motor---Short-Type.htm?websale7=kotte-zeller-shop&pi=41053&ci=010578 <- thats the motor i use.

Easy to install and fits like the original one .. if not put some tape symmetrical inside the motor cage.

Ill give prices as soon as i get some more orders.

Worldwide shipping is no problem!

I guess they will be arround 20-25€ + shipping.

Edit:

I should mention that the triggerrods are tested with the T97B.

There should be no differences between the small and large version of this rifle.

But i have no chance to prove this now.

Edited by NookieOne