The Computer Question Thread

aznriptide859

Alright gentlemen, my tower upgrade went well and has kept me well in shiny graphics up to this point, but I shall soon be off on a little trip at her majesty's pleasure and I shall require a lot of games to fill my time, which means a new laptop is on the cards. Here's what I'm looking at:

http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/system/Xplorer_X7-8500_Notebook/

Pretty much all I'd change is the HDD config for a pair of good old 500GB 7200RPMs (hardly spectacular, but perfectly serviceable for the task). Any thoughts or suggestions at all?

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just build a low-cost rig for my mom; she just uses it for browsing but it should be able to handle low-demanding games just fine.

Intel i3-2100

Gigabyte H61M-DS2

Corsair DDR3-1333 2 x 4GB RAM

Thermaltake V3 Black Edition

Antec Neo 500 HE PSU

Samsung 22x DVDRW Drive

Seagate 500GB HDD

XFX Radeon HD 5750

GPU, HDD, PSU, and Optical drive were harvested old rigs (both the HDD and PSU are 8 years old now, both work perfectly fine); total new parts cost to me was only $110 LOL. Have yet to install drivers and whatnot but I'm interested in the 3DMark score, since this is the most budget build I've ever done.

• 3 weeks later...

Cyberpower came through.

IMAG0388.jpg

They shipped the *fruitcage* thing to my old base in Scotland first time around (rather than London where I'd told them to send it) but to give them their due they did get it all sorted out for me.

I've deliberately kept myself from playing Skyrim, new assassins creed and saints row 3, so that lot definitely ought to tide me over for about half my tour. I've also got Mass Effect 3 and Max Payne 3 releasing while I'm out there, so it's quite good timing overall, this thing is eating up ME2 on 1920*1080 maxed out.

I just bought a Lenovo Thinkpad X200 to "replace" my Panasonic Toughbook CF-29.

The Toughbook is a 1.6Ghz Pentium M and I am going to a 2.53Ghz Core 2 Duo, going from 1.5Gb of RAM to (up to) 8Gb.

Got a track point AKA nipple mouse and is a lovely thing.

There is no track pad but I can use an app on my phone to do that, I will also be fitting a fingerprint scanner and making sure it is fully WiMAXed, bluetooth, WWAN, GPS and AFFSed out.

The keyboard is amazing.

I will be giving the Toughbook to my little brother so he can compile excel spreadsheets in the field for his post-doctorate work.

we get given toughbooks at work. some people still have old CF-19 or 29 laptops, while the new ones are the semi-rugged CF-52. everyone hates them.

to be fair it's probably not the latop's fault, my 52 has got a dual core i5 and 2GB of RAM which would probably be adequate if BT didnt fill their computers with so much bloatware and poorly designed, outdated programs.

edit: i had a thinkpad of some sort before the toughbook, same internal spec, just as dire to use :( also i never really saw the appeal in the trackpoint, i could never manage to use it as effectively as a trackpad or mouse and it always interfered with my typing.

I love them, you can get your finger directly on it from the home keys without changing your hand position. and you don't need to move your finger and re-swipe to get into the corner of the screen.

I suspect your colleagues' hatred of their free computers is probably down to the software.

When you choose a product from all available products using extensive knowledge to guide your choice you are invested in your decision and every time you use that product you get a warm buzz knowing that you made the best choice possible.

My aspergers syndrome manifests itself (partly) as a fondness for research.

I enjoy that phase of my shopping experience.

• 1 month later...

This is more web broswer related than computers but I thought I'd ask anyway. I haven't used Firefox since is version 3 when I just got sick of the slow speed (memory leaks, etc?) and moved onto Opera 10 which I loved. I'm now using the latest version of Chrome for its Google related simplicity but I recently tried Firefox version 11 and I noticed that its speed is now on par with Opera and Chrome even with all the extensions I still have installed on Firefox. Just wondering what the big change was?

Edit: The reason I used firefox was because chrome was stopping me from visiting a website because of malicious software in an ad. Now I have a nice virus on my computer shortly after posting this. LOL, FML...

• 2 weeks later...

Alright gentlemen, my tower upgrade went well and has kept me well in shiny graphics up to this point, but I shall soon be off on a little trip at her majesty's pleasure and I shall require a lot of games to fill my time, which means a new laptop is on the cards. Here's what I'm looking at:

http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/system/Xplorer_X7-8500_Notebook/

Pretty much all I'd change is the HDD config for a pair of good old 500GB 7200RPMs (hardly spectacular, but perfectly serviceable for the task). Any thoughts or suggestions at all?

I know this is replying to a old post but this might be of interest to those running SSD's and normal HDD's

http://forums.hexus.net/pc-gaming/229101-ssds-hdds-games-junction-points-instructions-within.html

to quote

"or you could do it the easy way and install link shell extension.

http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinks...kshellext.html

move the folder to its new location, right click the folder and pick link source then right click the original location and paste a symbolic link."

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a couple of questions for the more tech savvy people on here.

Firstly I'm having a problem where my PC is causing my router to disconnect from the internet. It will be working fine with my Laptop, consoles and the family PC connected but when I've been putting my PC on it has disconnected and it refuses to reconnect. If I turn my PC off and refresh the page on the laptop within a minute or so the internet has reconnected and works fine for everything.

I've tried two different routers and had the same problem with both and it doesn't matter if I connect wirelessly or wired with my PC it still causes the router to disconnect.

The next one I think more people will be able to help with,

I'm wanting to build a gaming PC rather than buy the next gen of consoles so I'm wanting something that will still work in a couple of years. Can anyone recommend a good Motherboard and CPU? I'm thinking of going with an AMD Bulldozer as most of the boards I've found for those will support up to 32gb of ram opposed to intel i7's which only seem to support 24gb. I'm also wanting to run dual graphics cards in the future so I can stick in a high end one now and get a matching one later when I need more performance.

I've not looked into PC gaming for about 10 years so pretty much everything I did know doesn't really apply any more.

The next one I think more people will be able to help with,

I'm wanting to build a gaming PC rather than buy the next gen of consoles so I'm wanting something that will still work in a couple of years. Can anyone recommend a good Motherboard and CPU? I'm thinking of going with an AMD Bulldozer as most of the boards I've found for those will support up to 32gb of ram opposed to intel i7's which only seem to support 24gb. I'm also wanting to run dual graphics cards in the future so I can stick in a high end one now and get a matching one later when I need more performance.

I've not looked into PC gaming for about 10 years so pretty much everything I did know doesn't really apply any more.

forget AMD, intel are miles ahead in the game. sandybridge chips overclock amazingly well, an OC'd core i5 would be more than enough. 32Gb or indeed 24Gb is a pretty crazy amount of RAM, you'll never use it so it's not worth worrying about, 6/8Gb would be fine.

I'm looking to the future with the maximum ram. I'd only be putting in a max of 16 when I first build it.

my point is i really can't picture 24Gb being inadequate for a very, very, very long time. by the time you'll actually need more than 24Gb everything else in the system will be hideously outdated so you'd be replacing the CPU and motherboard anyway. hell, you'll probably never max out 16Gb either.

look at reviews for the bulldozer CPUs, they were a massive disappointment. the flagship 8 core model is only slightly faster than a core i5 2500 in very few situations, and it's more expensive.

evansy - you havn't some how mananged to set up the desktop pc to share the connection (use to be called ics in windows xp) - it could be thinking that it's the dns/dhcp server for the network and thus causing everything else to fail....

evansy - you havn't some how mananged to set up the desktop pc to share the connection (use to be called ics in windows xp) - it could be thinking that it's the dns/dhcp server for the network and thus causing everything else to fail....

Not that I know.

It's started doing it less frequently now and some times I'm able to use my PC for hours before it causes the problem then other times it will only work for 5-10 mins.

I've got a copy of Linux that runs entirely from the CD and I still got the same thing happening with that. I was thinking that it may be hardware related but if that was the case surely it would only happen with one connection or the other not wired and wireless.

OK techy people I have a problem!

I've been messing about with a dual boot on my laptop, I use Windows 7 64 most of the time, but I'd like to have XP 32 installed for all my old software that won't run in 64-bit Windows. Anyway, I had it working but I didn't make my XP partition big enough so I deleted it and made a new, larger partition - and now XP won't install :angry:

I can boot from the CD and it copies the XP files to the hard disk, but then it gets to the point where it reboots to start the install proper, and the boot fails. It says 'boot.ini corrupted' then tries to boot the C: partition (my Windows 7 install) which also fails because ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupted (I realise this is because XP overwrites the 7 bootloader with its own). I then 'fixed' the XP boot.ini file using the recovery console, but now it gives an error message for ntldr when I try to boot the XP partition to finish the install.

I'm confused, especially because it worked the first time! Can anybody help?

Archived