The Computer Question Thread

aznriptide859

When I boot my PC it just doesn't send a signal through the HDMI cable to my monitor until I reboot it. Quite odd. Maybe its because I've currently got a graphics card in there but its not powered at the moment (still using mobo connections)?

Its not a massive issue as I'm rebuilding tomorrow with my new power supply and probably moving my hard drives down to lower bays to fit my graphics card in PCI-E 1 (its currently in 2, I don't know if this will be an issue).

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Origin is a piece of *suitcase*. Boot up battlefield 4 for the first time, game spends 10 mins loading.

Shut it down, start it up again, takes another 5, and the game comes up windowed. So I close it down and try again. Not it won't launch at all, because it's convinced I have the game open somewhere else.

• 4 weeks later...

What are people's thought on amount of RAM.  I have 8GB right now and pretty much everywhere online says 8GB is sufficient for gaming and anything over is pointless.  However, I was playing Black Ops 3 and task manager was indicating it was using 6.5GB of RAM which seems odd. Doesn't exactly leave a lot left for the OS and other background stuff. Unless I'm experiencing memory leak I suppose.

• 1 month later...

Ok... I'm not sure about this case having the space for cooling 3 fans one venting out the side and 2 at the back.

One graphics card has an msi frozr2 heatsink many many times great full to the arnies poster who sent me this who will get paid for it after Xmas. Sent it in advance of the money and even offered to just gift it.... wow this forum is amazing.

Should I get a simple closed loop kit to liquid cool the cpu or get one of the corsair ones that can be expanded later?

I'd like to push this build a little and play with a separate physx card and maybe down the line get a second gtx275 and sli them.

I want to go liquid cooled but I'd need to either hack this case up or get a new one. I'd like a clear panel and more space for hard drives. (It has one in it currently I have a few 2.5" drives around and want to either try the paracord mounting system in a 3.5 slot or get a few 2.5 bays.)

It is a fairly large tower already but we'll I kind of want the space to make something that has better neater cable management and has enough cooling I don't fret plus pretty would be nice.

Budget of around 100 max ideally but I could be pursued to save for something if it's sufficently pretty. I want an inwin d series but it's 250 and yeah... If I did get one I'd convert a motorcycle cooling thing into my res and use b8g chunky rads but that's a long term dream unless anyone can find me a second hand one....

So yeah recommend me a case.

Try antec or the budger corsair ones. Also, just a thought: Noctua has a massive air cooling tower with a 150mm fan for 60 quid. Cools equally well as a corair closed loop watercooling and is less maintenance intensive than a custom loop. Quieter than both. Hell, on idle you can cool most cpu's lassive with that thing. Try guru3d.com for more reviews on cases and cooling. Good luck!

Hey Droid?

Oh and of course the rest of Arnies as well.

Happy holidays to you and partner/family/pets.

I have a few other things lying around. New in package Corsair AX760 power supply, and old Auzentech x-Fi PCI soundcard, a webcam I refuse to use. 

Oh, and this:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/corsair-carbide-330r-review-test,1.html

Corsair case for €80 :)

and this:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/corsair-obsidian-450d-review,1.html

for just over a €100

I like doing research! :D

Anyone else want to know anything? ;)

EDIT: Check out the Phantek's Enthoo Luxe! Very nice case for €140.

They're normally pretty good! AOC is a Korean company which takes panels which don't pass Apple/Dell/BigCompany's quality guidelines for whatever reason (note: this can be for the TINIEST of reasons, such as a tiny misaligned pixel in the top right corner) and sells them on for cheap.

The two main things I would watch out for are dead pixels (bring up a blank white screen, then a black one, you'll be able to spot any) or backlight problems. I'm using one at the moment and haven't had any problems.

Could do.

Maybe the old airsoft suitcase bomb prop. Programmable arming/disarming codes, and setting off a small bang or even just a sound unit.

I look forward to experimenting with the possibilities of the system. If I had a greenhouse I'd totally automate it, temperature watering etc.

EDIT: Airsoft not airport silly autocorrect.

Archived