The Computer Question Thread

aznriptide859

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I have modem of which I would like to improve the wifi transmission capability. The modem currently uses PCB trace type antennas but they really don't have much gusto, therefore, I would like to solder on an SMA pigtail coax to attach a better antenna.
In the photo below could someone point out where I might solder the coax core and shield to? I presume the two pads indicated in the third photo are where the coax should be soldered, but does one take priority over another with just one coax pigtail/antenna?

Thanks,
Tom.

P1160108%2030%20cut%20jpeg.jpg

P1160107%2035%20cut%20jpeg.jpg

P1160107%20PCB%20Montage%20Annotated.jpg

*suitcase* just got real.

OK, I have one for you.

I just upgraded to 200Mbs-1 broadband and my current 8 port network switch can't keep up.

I also have a wireless access point with power over ethernet.  It is running over and injector for now.

Does anyone know of an 8 port Gigahertz switch that can support 200 meg switching and POE that is better than this or equally good and cheaper?

https://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/products/27724-ubiquiti-us-8-60w/

I have modem of which I would like to improve the wifi transmission capability. The modem currently uses PCB trace type antennas but they really don't have much gusto, therefore, I would like to solder on an SMA pigtail coax to attach a better antenna.

In the photo below could someone point out where I might solder the coax core and shield to? I presume the two pads indicated in the third photo are where the coax should be soldered, but does one take priority over another with just one coax pigtail/antenna?

There are two patch / pcb track antennae on the board. My guess, as with many WiFi routers/modems, would be that there is some degree of antenna multi-pathing cleverness involved. Such that you would need to attach a pair of external antennae if you wanted to maintain the functionality of the original. Just one will, most likely, at the least not improve performance and could even degrade it. The pair on the board will be matched. I think you will need a matched pair attached externally.

Regarding where to solder the coax for the leads. Do you have a multimeter? If so check continuity between the 3 pads  for each connector point and ground somewhere else on the board. My guess is that the two larger pads on each point will be ground and the smaller will be the rf/signal. Worth a check though just in case ;) So screen to either of the larger pads and the core to the smaller.

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm looking for a tablet, top of the budget is £200 but really wanting to cap it at £180, below is what I'm looking for:

Needs to be able to manage Epub (2/3) files as I intend on using it as a library for my Warhammer 40K rule books.

Really keen on some sort of expandable memory feature for it.

Being lightweight is a major boon for carry on purposes

Something a good case exists for.

Thanks for your help. I'm thinking an Android due to greater freedom, possibly a Samsung as I'm familiar with them. Don't need it for music but TV shows/films might be handy.

Just keep in mind that epub files are on the way out for support for better file formats. You're already on the right track looking for an Android tablet as there are still many e-reader programs available that run epub files.

I have an Asus tablet from 2012, their flagship $500 model at the time. I don't use it anymore if you want it.

Oh, btw, I'm building a new computer in a couple weeks and I'm looking at the xotac 1080, their top of the line card. I read that they are among the highest clocked 1080s available, but the fan controller kinda sucks. Anybody with experience with this card or would recommend another 1080?

Either Nvidia are getting better or getting worse.

All the 1080s are locked down.

You can get them all over 2k and then it is all down to noise and silicon lottery.

The only differences are the coolers and that is where MSI and EVGA shine.

Does it have to be a tablet?

Why specifically a tablet?

An old laptop will always be more powerful, more versatile and expandable.

A Lenovo X220T can fold into a (heavy) tablet too.

Does it have to be a tablet?

Why specifically a tablet?

An old laptop will always be more powerful, more versatile and expandable.

A Lenovo X220T can fold into a (heavy) tablet too.

I already have a Lenovo Thinkpad as a laptop. I want something more portable primarily for carrying round Warhammer 40K rule books and accessing them whilst playing a game, a laptop is less convenient for this, particularly in an actual Games Workshop. But also would like something for videos whilst travelling etc, already have a load of weight in camera kit so a tablet seems like a better choice for me.

OK, if you didn't say videos whilst travelling then an e-book reader like the Kobo H2O would be your best bet.

You might have to get a tablet then, I have a Lenovo Yoga 12 S2 and I almost never put it in tablet mode.

Honestly, the number of devices you can get that are designed to prop up your tablet is nuts.

Laptops just do it by themselves.

I'd go MSI Hydra. 1080 with a AIO 120mm rad. already installed. The silence/performance rate should be amazing

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

I appreciate that, but I am trying to keep the card under $700. That's the one I'm buying depending on certain things.

I'll see about buying a card with a better warranty, but I'm not comfortable yet with overclocking stuff even though I know I should learn how.

• 3 weeks later...

So...not a computer as such,

I'm after a cheap tablet on Android for a sideline I've started up outside of my job. It will be used show customers photos and drawings of things, and that's about it.

Needs a memory card slot and WiFi. Don't need mobile data, Bluetooth etc.

I've seen a few on eBay from around £28, no name brands, is it worth it considering some named brands are utter *suitcase* too?

Recommendations please!

Archived