The Computer Question Thread

aznriptide859

So. Looking to upgrade the spine of my system in the next year sometime.

Currently on an i7-760, first gen.

Will need new cpu, mobo, ram and case. PSU, GFX and storage are all ok though I'd like m.2 / nvme drives for OS.

Leaving towards a ryzen build but no ideas beyond that. Would a higher ryzen 5 perform as well as a lower / midrange ryzen 7?

Wrt ram, do I need to get the fastest speed i can or should I get marginally slower stuff and oc it?

Ryzen mobos, talk to me. I know all the chip sets take all the cpus, but not sure what the actual difference between them is. Don't some of them have more pci lanes?

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've searched and searched and I've found nothing concrete, why does PUBG keep randomly crashing to desktop, multiple times during a game? Everything is up to date, I've tried messing with the graphics but to no avail.

From what I've heard it is happening across all computer specs but I've not found a rock solid fix.

Anyone have the answer?

Tom.

I've searched and searched and I've found nothing concrete, why does PUBG keep randomly crashing to desktop, multiple times during a game? Everything is up to date, I've tried messing with the graphics but to no avail.

From what I've heard it is happening across all computer specs but I've not found a rock solid fix.

Anyone have the answer?

Tom.

Consider rolling back your GPU drivers, i.e. installing a version that's not the latest. Another thing I would check would be the integrity of the local game files - Steam has a function for this - however Tink's suggestion of a reinstall is essentially the same thing.

Check the Event Viewer within Windows to see whether there's a specific faulting module or driver which could be causing this. Check under both the Application and System logs.

For what it's worth though PUBG is still quite a buggy game. It's certainly a lot better than it was, but performance can be iffy :D

I'm also doing a new upgrade to Ryzen, AFAIK the sweet spot right now is ryzen 7 1700 (not the X version). As for RAM, Gskill Trident Z kits have some very good reviews so far. 

As far as M2 SSDs just go for it. The difference in boot time is totally worth it.

My 2c for new hardware:

1600x seems to be praised a lot for casual home. usage and gaming.

6 cores at a higher frequency will beat 8 cores at lower frequency for all but really core dependant programs.

I'd wait for the 2600x series though.

Not so much next gen as current gen refined.

If you have the dough, a 8600 or 8700 is always a good bet for enthousiast gaming.

Why do I think that? Well, reviews and the fact that I have a 3930k ( 6core at 3,2 ghz) since 2012. It still works well apart from being power hungry but I've never seen core 5 and 6 being used except for WinRAR.

6 core plus systems are still for production tasks. Might change in the future, but not near future.

You can easily get away with an i5 or.equivalent and dump the rest of the budget on a high end card.

My 1080ti is.not being bottlenecked by my cpu yet and it's 5 years old.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn C6603 met Tapatalk

I'd like more cores because I'd like to get into virtualisation a bit.

I'll be keeping an eye on ram prices through as that's that limiting factor at the moment.

When ryzen 2 chips launch hopefully the current generation will drop in price a bit and I'll be able to snap up a bargain.

This should ideally be in the sales sector, worldwide.
But er, I'll not get any attention there so, here goes.

I'm building / collecting retro gaming rigs.
Willing to swap/ pay for hardware going from 2000 to 2006. 
Might have a look at anything earlier, especially Voodoo and Aureal cards.

Tink, please don't ban me yet?

This should ideally be in the sales sector, worldwide.

But er, I'll not get any attention there so, here goes.

I'm building / collecting retro gaming rigs.

Willing to swap/ pay for hardware going from 2000 to 2006. 

Might have a look at anything earlier, especially Voodoo and Aureal cards.

Tink, please don't ban me yet?

I work at an IT company with a shitload of junk lying around, I'll take a look...

• 3 months later...

Got the above now, not all that good though. Ohwell...

Can anyone help me with last gen Ram tech though?
2 years back I made a mini Itx pc for the Gf. Now I think I made a mistake. I use that Asus H170 Itx board with a i5 6600 non-K.
Corsair value 16GB of DDR3L ram instead of the standard DDR4. I didn't notice at the time it wasn't DDR4 when I bought the board. It's weird, because H170 isn't low spec :/

I think I created a bottleneck for Guildwars 2. It's what she plays almost exclusievely.
Could an upgrade to 1833 DDR3L help or doesn't the speed matter much? The chipset nor the cpu allows for OC'ing.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn H8324 met Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Archived