The Computer Question Thread

aznriptide859

You might find this article interesting.  It convinced me to upgrade to 2400MHz DDR3 (Still rocking a 2500K). 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-is-it-finally-time-to-upgrade-your-core-i5-2500k

Prices are obviously massively outdated but I managed to track down 16GB of DDR3 2400MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro for £75 new on ebay around this time last year.

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have not handicapped the "new" system.

You haven't described any problems. What problems is she actually having? What troubleshooting have you done to prove the fault and isolate the bottleneck?

Why are you focusing on the RAM? Frequency does make a tiny, tiny difference, but the difference is minimal compared to pretty much every other component of a PC, plus overall RAM capacity.

• 4 months later...

Not quite sure how to word this, but please bare with me.

My wife was given a desktop by the company she worked for set up for her by one of their admins. She has since left but kept the computer (with their blessing), but the admin has also left and she cannot alter features on it without their passwords. Is their any way to reset these? It's running on Windows 10, and there is no way of obtaining the old login. Format is not an option due to the amount of she has on it either...

any help would be appreciated, thankyou!

Could the admin be tracked down on LinkedIn?

A bit of a shoddy setup if an admin leaves and doesn't leave passwords etc on file for the next person.

I deal with a company like that.  So many times, 'OH, sorry, X has left the company.  We can't access their e-mails'.  Great setup guys...

Have you tried the following as passwords?

• 1. (username)
  • 2. (username)123
  • 3. 123456
  • 4. password
  • 5. 1234
  • 6. 12345
  • 7. passwd
  • 8. 123
  • 9. test
  • 10. 1
  • 11. admin
  • 12. password1
On 11/5/2018 at 12:18 AM, shmook said:

Not quite sure how to word this, but please bare with me.

My wife was given a desktop by the company she worked for set up for her by one of their admins. She has since left but kept the computer (with their blessing), but the admin has also left and she cannot alter features on it without their passwords. Is their any way to reset these? It's running on Windows 10, and there is no way of obtaining the old login. Format is not an option due to the amount of she has on it either...

any help would be appreciated, thankyou!

It's a little tricky to do if you're new to doing it but with patience and human guile I have full faith in you - download NTPasswd from the following link and burn it to a CD. Then, put it in the computer and turn on the PC, pressing whatever key is required to pick which storage to load an operating system for (i.e. CD Drive, hard drive etc) - pick the CD Drive. Once it's booted, follow the instructions on the program/on the website to reset the password to something you'll remember.

E: For clarity, there are commonly two types of administrator in a Windows business environment - local admins, user accounts which have full access to the PC they've been created on, and domain admins, which are the network accounts a business has which could log into any computer on the network. This guide I've given you can help with the former but not the latter - I'm essentially hoping that there's a local account on the PC with administrative rights she can use for the password.

Please be advised however that because this PC is still "domain joined", linked to the company she received it from, there's a chance it may get confused over being in the domain anymore and not let people log on. This isn't a burning issue necessarily but something to make you want to back data up just in case!

On 6/25/2018 at 3:21 PM, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

You have not handicapped the "new" system.

You haven't described any problems. What problems is she actually having? What troubleshooting have you done to prove the fault and isolate the bottleneck?

Why are you focusing on the RAM? Frequency does make a tiny, tiny difference, but the difference is minimal compared to pretty much every other component of a PC, plus overall RAM capacity.

Bugg... I forgot I've left this answer here way back then.
Er, well... It' snot my system, it's my sign. others.
She mainly plays GW2 and it runs like , though I can't remember why.
She's running a 6600 non-K at stock with 2x8GB 1600 DDR3L and a RX480 4Gb.
4Gb VRAM for full hd foes just fine in GW2, but even at lowest settings the computer can't cope with major events
I can't believe it would be the 6600. That CPU is just too recent, has decent everything.
Game is loaded from SSD, so is the OS.

So I guess either very unoptimised game engine or the fact that I've coupled a decent, DDR4 capable CPU with DDR3L for gaming...
I remember buying DDR4 because I was unaware I bought a DDR3L motherboard; at the time.

TBH it sounds like your GPU is the bottleneck, coupled with a very unoptimised game.

For comparison, my system is getting pretty long in the tooth:

I5 2500K
16GB 1067mHz DDR3
NV 970GTX

I can run most of the latest games at 1080p on high settings and get 90-100fps (apart from BF1, which for some reason worked beautifully at launch but has started throwing massive fps stutter).

I'd agree except for the part where I get low performance on lowest settings. A Rx580 should very well be capable to drive GW2 on low at 1080p. Unoptimised game, yes, completely agree there.
For example, she could play Witcher 3 just fine on high and graphic memory settings on medium.

TBH it sounds like your GPU is the bottleneck, coupled with a very unoptimised game.

For comparison, my system is getting pretty long in the tooth:

I5 2500K
16GB 1067mHz DDR3
NV 970GTX
I can run most of the latest games at 1080p on high settings and get 90-100fps (apart from BF1, which for some reason worked beautifully at launch but has started throwing massive fps stutter).

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Kind of double post but not really?

The pc problem basically narrows down to GW2 being on a *suitcasey* non-optimised for modern hardware game engine.

Second question: Whats the go to brand for decent network hardware these days?
Used to be Linksys when it was bought over by Cisco, but a couple of years back they went separate ways again.
TP-Link, D-Link,... ? 

Has to be reliable, simple and modern. Don't like all in one, jack of all trades, master of none solutions much.

Stunt, since I know you quite paran... serious about your connected hardware and privacy, can you tell me why you use commercial grade hardware?
I'm quite intimidated by Ubiquiti's stuff. It looks very interesting, but I have no clue where to start?
Oh, and no wireless yet. I really dislikes the idea of wireless being standard. For me nothing beats a good stable Cat6 shielded cable.

Perhaps we'll have to start a talk on Discord or summat.

The commercial grade stuff is reliable, robust, secure and the manufacturers frequently update their firmware when there are problems.

On top of that it is much more likely to have software that works with Linux.

Also, I have 350Mbit broadband and slower, consumer grade stuff bottlenecks me.  Most of it is Gbit and my new NAS box will be 10gig too.

The commercial stuff might seem intimidating but the support is good, I use wires for all the important stuff but I have a WAP for my wife's iPad (shame) and stuff.

The Ubiquiti WAP I use has 3x3, mimo, beam steering, POEi and all sorts of stuff.  With the scrub tier garbage that Virgin gave me I had no signal in most of the upstairs and couldn't even see the SSID from the bathroom.  With the new one I was able to tell my elderly neighbours the password (and configure the system so they have a separate password) so they can get on Youtube on the other side of 18 inches of 1890s brick.

• 1 month later...

I'm gonna build a new PC as my desktop is approx ten years old and in a crappy beat up case.

Snagged a Corsair 750D case to start. Probably only going to focus on retrieving my PSU (Pretty sure it's a 750W corsair modular model) from my old box. Definitely want new Mobo, CPU and RAM. Also time to get an SSD for core files.

So should I go AMD or Intel? My old desktop was AMD and I was pretty happy with it. Not after anything world changing, something for image processing, maybe some gaming and watching some TV on. 

Wait a few months now that the 3000 series has been announced.
Either take that and have the newest tech, or grab a 2000 series as a discount.
When going with Ryzen, it's quite important to check the memory compatibility ( motherboard/ memory manufacturers have lists. Go as high in frequency as you're comfortable paying for.
Ryzen loves high ram speed.

Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, EVGA, ... all good mobo's. I tend to stick with ASUS and MSI and try not to mix brands too much. But I'm a bit of a fanboy, so that's subjective.
For what chipset/type? Look at what you need. Too many times people will buy top of the line with all the bells and whistles and not use ut. Like, at all.
I can't do a layout of what chipset does what, it just evolves too frigging fast. But try and get a chipset with a Intel wired network connection ( NIC ).
How many M.2 slots do you need, do you still use / want to use Sata? M.2 is a good choice now-a-days. but for Sata SSD, Samsung 860 is price/performance/size king.

Have fun ^^

Archived