The Computer Question Thread

aznriptide859

There is a step by step guide in the HMM I linked to, it is really simple.

Look on teh bottom, there is a little door that covers the RAM, undo the two screws and the door comes off.

Under the door there are two more screws to remove.

Then you flip the laptop over, push down on the plasticc bezel next to the power button and push the whole keyboard about 2mm towards the screen.

It will pop up slightly at the bottom end, under the space bar and the ultranav buttons.

It then just hinges up and you undo the ribbon cable.

Keyboard is out.

Replacing it is the opposite.

If you don't need the 8 button that much (I can't live without * though) you could try fixing it first, remove the keyboard and clean it with some alcohol, let it dry and replace it.

Depending on how dirty it is you might have to lift the key caps up.

Sticky things and animal dander get jammed under the keys and because they have a shorter throw than a desk top computer they jam up quicker.

If none of that works you have the option to go to a new keyboard.

Don't forget you can plug an external keyboard in to keep the old girl going while you clean the keyboard/wait for parts.

You'll need to connect the ribbon to make the power button work or it won't clear post (I think).

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's just annoying because my passwords usually use an 8 or a * somewhere plus the 9 registers as stuck on boot up so it makes irritating noises

I have n external keyboard somewhere will sort out my bills and get a keyboard ordered and get a mate to fit it if it's that easy. Seems less hassle than every other laptop I have had over the years. It being a mechanical keyboard is just glorious and that's something I need for the desktop when I get her running

I need a new 'evil science fiction computer' name for my network though as Zen is whatever phone I own and my think pad is glados so what should my desktop be?

I'm trying to decide on the graphics card(s) to use on my next build. I'm not sure when I'll build it, but I'm currently considering either 2x RX480s or a single higher end GTX1080.

Given that there were eirly tests that the basic 480 running 2 in crossfire edging out the basic 1080 in 2 out of 6 or so tests, is the $200 to $300 savings worth getting 2x 480s and dealing with some compatibility and crossfire issues over going with the more expensive and more stable option of the 1080?

I run an xfx r9 270x in my current build, but I only upgraded it so my girlfriend could stream her overwatch games and stuff. But she has made the computer basically her own and I just want to build a new one.

Don't know if you guys discussed this yet, haven't read the thread. But thanks for any help.

It's just annoying because my passwords usually use an 8 or a * somewhere plus the 9 registers as stuck on boot up so it makes irritating noises

I have n external keyboard somewhere will sort out my bills and get a keyboard ordered and get a mate to fit it if it's that easy. Seems less hassle than every other laptop I have had over the years. It being a mechanical keyboard is just glorious and that's something I need for the desktop when I get her running

I need a new 'evil science fiction computer' name for my network though as Zen is whatever phone I own and my think pad is glados so what should my desktop be?

My wireless access point is called Planet Express and my main PC is called Awkward *bramston pickle*.  Before the refresh it was called Recalcitrant.

It is because I have to name them after struggling to get Windows installed on whatever crazy cutting edge combination of drives I am using.

I you don't fancy cleaning out the old one, let me know.  I'll do it for you.

I'm trying to decide on the graphics card(s) to use on my next build. I'm not sure when I'll build it, but I'm currently considering either 2x RX480s or a single higher end GTX1080.

Given that there were eirly tests that the basic 480 running 2 in crossfire edging out the basic 1080 in 2 out of 6 or so tests, is the $200 to $300 savings worth getting 2x 480s and dealing with some compatibility and crossfire issues over going with the more expensive and more stable option of the 1080?

I run an xfx r9 270x in my current build, but I only upgraded it so my girlfriend could stream her overwatch games and stuff. But she has made the computer basically her own and I just want to build a new one.

Don't know if you guys discussed this yet, haven't read the thread. But thanks for any help.

You've said it yourself, you know the issues.

The crossfire setup will glitch and stutter and in almost all games will give you less than 100% scaling.

It will consume more power, use up more space in your case and if the 16x PCIe slots on your mother board are only separated by one slot the top one will overheat and thermal throttle due to the bottom card blocking the fan.

Always stretch and buy the best single card you can afford.

2 years down the line you'll have the option to buy another cheap, second hand 1080 on ebay and stay at the top end.

That is what SLI and Crossfire are for (in my opinion).

Mind you DX12 might make things better for Crossfire, you never know how much support it is going to get going forward.

• 2 weeks later...

Linus just did a video on it.

Looks like, after all these years, as Physx card is still just not supported. Only a handfull of games truly make good use of it. :(

Wasted opportunity. Hate this.

One day I have a dedicated AI card.

Would be awesome in stealth games

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

My own dilemma:

I don't have much cash now but I'd like a 21:9 monitor. I already had to solder some new cap's in my old LG 245 from 2007 but now I'm getting a yellow wash over it sonI'g going fast.

Going from 1200p to 1440p looks nice. But my old GTX780 is showing it's age as well in 1200p, neverminf in 1440p and certainly not coping in 21:9 1440p.

So new screen means new GPU. Can't afford both, going 1080 would be a downgrade and I'm really convinced for 21:9.

It would cost me around €2200, because ofcourse I'd want a 1080(ti).

It's plain stupid to go with something cheaper and temporary because tech moves so fast it's money thrown away. Except if I could buy a decent 2nd hands ips screen for 50 or so.

Bugg'r

Dell has a nice monitor.

24" 1440p TN with G-sync.

Granted, it's only 24", same as I have now. But crickey, good specs for a TN! That pixel per inch!

You might not even need AA anymore!

I might try that one, since I've just decided I can get another 780 for less than €200.

Cheapest option, and still a good card for less than demanding gamers like Occasional Friend Gamers and Girl/Boyfriend Gamers ( TM )

[Edit] Make that €160 and free shipping. Awesome. Now for that SLI bridge.

Those technologies tend to be mutually exclusive because mechanical keyboard enthusiasts are not fond of dropped keystrokes.

Does it have to be wireless? A couple of companies do a lap platform for holding a proper KBM for sofa gaming and all you'd need is a long cable.

As for monitors, I am pretty fond of the Asus ROG Swift PG279Q, I'll keep my eyes peeled for a used one I think.

I'd just need a long cable really now Iv got my scary intelligent bed I am thinking a hospital style table thing with my keyboard on wouldn't be too bad to use. Keep my laptop for on the go stuff replace the keyboard and use the desktop for gaming and stuff. Get a really nice mechanical.

My Lenovo has spoiled me I can't go back to normal keyboards.

Has anyone got experience with projectors being used for computer monitors? It's 720HD and capable of iirc a 6foot by 4 foot screen

Why do some Youtube vids, even from the the same author, not play?

In the past few weeks I've started having problems, it seems at random(Youtube direct or Email linked(subscribed), and it gives me the following error message:

You%20Tube%20Error.jpg

What I don't get is that some vids play just fine but others don't and they can be from the same author and part of a series e.g. part 4 of 4 will decide to throw up the error.

What's wrong?

Tom.

p.s. I'm using Firefox 48.0.2 currently.

I have no problems on my laptop, which is using Firefox 48.0.2 and Windows 7. However, my desktop which is running Windows XP and the same Firefox, has the problem.

Any ideas where I download some software to fix this?

Cheers,

Tom.

Archived