The Computer Question Thread

aznriptide859

The door opening and closing is just because of the power to the drive, it doesn't mean windows can see it.

As Tink said, try another port, on many motherboards the SATA ports are driven by multiple diferent controllers.

Another thing to try would be to look in device manager to see if there are any unknown devices, get and install drivers from the drive manufacturer.

Also, try right clicking the "my computer" icon then "manage" then "storage" and have a look for it in there.  See if something is wrong.

Or, install Linux and don't worry about it.

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok guys it's time to get my PC build on the way as my MBP has finally given up the ghost. My current build list is as follows, if you guys wouldn't mind giving it a look over and offer your thoughts/changes that'd be awesome! It's been roughly 10 years since I last built a PC.. A LOT has changed! Looking to keep the build sub £1000 if possible! Click the bold words to open link. 

Processor - Intel Core i5-7600K

Motherboard - AsRock Z270 Pro4 Intel Z270 DDR4 ATX 

Graphics - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 G1

RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB

SSD (Operating System) - Kingston SSDNow UV400 240GB

HDD - WD Blue 1TB

Power - Corsair CX650

Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED

Unsure of what case to go with.. would love to get it in a Corsair Crystal Series 460X RGB but thats pretty pricey. Can any of you guys suggest a nice mid tower case with good air flow?

Do you actually need an HDD?

I have a pair of 256GB drives in my 'puter and I need no extra space.

Spinning rust is old school.

The Z270 and 7th Gen Intel combo means you are stuck with Win 10.

Microsoft have announced that any Windows operating systems older than 10 will not officially support Caby Lake or Z270.

Given that they are announcing i9 soon and the incredible price per performance of Ryzen it is definitely worth either holding off on an Intel processor or looking into a Ryzen 5 build.

A Ryzen 5 1600X is 20 quid more than the 7600K.

If I was building a computer today it would be all about that Ryzen 7 1800x

1060 is solid, might be worth looking into a closeout RX480 if you can find one reduced since they can be flashed into RX580s

If you really must have a spinning disk, send me our address and I'll send you a 1TB one from my replacement pool, used but free.

That'll save you £45 to upgrade your processor to Ryzen...

I'm very happy with my 480, glad I went with it over the 1060, which at the time was more expensive. Now the 580's been released I'd go with that. I'm in two minds about flashing my 480 to a 580, but desperately don't want to bork anything, however people have done it quite successfully.

Any 'k' series intel is only going to be worth it if you want to overclock. Are you going to overclock?

OK thanks for the help guys. I think I'll go with a Ryzen 5 and a RX580 then, unfortunately a Ryzen 7 is a little out of my price range atm! Is there anything else I'll need changing to accommodate those two? Is there a better Mobo that would suit the Ryzen 5 better?

As for over clocking I'll eventually go down that route just a little, I always like tweaking things and getting the most from it but never delved into that world so would need to do some research first! 

As for the spinning disc I mainly want it for storage. I will be backing up a lot of flight manuals etc for my Dad which are huge and take so much space. My MBP has 500GB and thats way more than enough for my needs. With games I would expect I'll maybe need 2 SSD eventually. Stunt I'll pm you my address, thanks for the offer! 

I'd keep an eye out to see how much this board costs when it becomes available:

Mostly because of the IO MMU thing, it will be useful if you ever go Linux.

Wendell is a fan of Ryzen, have a look around his Youtube channel there are quite a few AM4 (the socket you need for a Ryzen chip) MoBo reviews on there.

Ryzen is sensitive to RAM type, be careful with that.  Because of the infinity fabric the RAM speed has a direct effect on the amount of performance and overclock you can get from Ryzen, bear that in mind.

*EDIT*

£100

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asrock-ab350-gaming-k4-amd-b350-socket-am4-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-152-ak.html

You gents are awesome! I'll put that Mobo on my list then.

As for RAM it seems that most people use Corsair Vengeance LPX with Ryzen chips so I reckon it'll be alright. I don't want to go crazy overclocking just a smudge.

I've found the Corsair 460x case.. my god it's beautiful. It will be mine!

You gents are awesome! I'll put that Mobo on my list then.

As for RAM it seems that most people use Corsair Vengeance LPX with Ryzen chips so I reckon it'll be alright. I don't want to go crazy overclocking just a smudge.

I've found the Corsair 460x case.. my god it's beautiful. It will be mine!

Just be aware, that 460x case has no 5.25" bays, so if you ever use a disc drive then you'd need to get a USB external one.

I have a question for your computer AND electronic nuts among us.

My ex has a nCase M1 with ASUS turbo 480. Being a Turbo model, it's quite noisy due to low quality fans mounted on a wobbly plastic fanshroud.

I was wondering if I could remove the fanshroud with fans completely and use the GPU's 4 pin PWM fan connector to power two Noctua 120mm fans directly underneath it.

I cannot place them there right now since the 120mm blades touch the protruding 90mm GPU standard fans.

It would indeed include soldering an adapter.

I'm worried the two 120mm fans would fry the GPU card's PWM fan controller since they probably pull more current than the standard fans.
If so, can I connect the PWM leads to the GPU's card and the power to a standard 12v connector?

thanks!

Can't see why it wouldn't work. You're not adding more power to the system, if anything untoward were to happen, it'd likely just be the 120mm noctuas turn slower than the other fans. 

If the PWM on the GPU has got standard plugs, plug the noctuas in and see what happens :D

I wouldn't worry at all, with splitters you can power multiple fans from one controller.

If you are still worried but want to use the card's controller (which I recommend) then you can get externally powered molex fan splitters.

They use the PWM signal from teh board but draw power directly from a harness to the PSU.

I have one running 8 Noctua fans on my rad and it does it with no dramas from the CPU fan header.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Phobya-8x-4-Pin-Splitter-PWM-x/dp/B00OD7MO6E/

I think I have a spare one as it happens.

I'll have a look.

Had a look.

I have a mod my PC 8 way 4 pin PWM splitter but it doesn't come with a cable so you will need to make a cable that splits and takes the RPM signal wire and 5v PWM signal wire from the fan header and the 12v and ground from a Molex and combines them into the power supply pins on the splitter.

5 minutes work if you have the bits.

Delta, I will send you that drive but the only spares I have at the moment have had work data on them so need to go through a multi-pass DOD erasure.

Will take time.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

(deep breath) 

HAHAHAhahahahahahahahaha! oh wait, you're being serious?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!

oh, my sweet summer child...

Archived