The Computer Question Thread

aznriptide859

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just read an article about HP updating firmware in their printers blocking non chipped, unofficial cartridges from working so something to be weary of. 

I have an old HP laser that takes £8 third party toner cartridges which is serving me well.  *Touches wood* 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm fed up with Firefox, probably a lot to do with me persevering with XP on my desktop, so I've switched to Chrome as a browser, however, I have a small problem.

I use Rocketdock at the top of my screen and with Firefox it is not a problem because the tabs are below the line of the dock icons but now that I've switched to Chrome the tabs are right at the top of the screen and obscured by the dock icons.

Is there a way to shunt Chrome's tabs down a notch, like those in Firefox.

Tom.

Firefox.

Mozilla%20Firefox.jpg

Chrome.

Google%20Chrome.jpg

You had me until you said XP.

What the hell man?  That stuff is abandon ware now, no more security updates, no support from AV companies.

Anyway, I assume you have tried just clicking on the boundary and dragging down, that would work on Firefox.

Try adding a new toolbar and deleting all the icons from it?

• 2 weeks later...

Aren't kettle leads something that everyone has a random bunch of?  'Oh, where did that kettle lead come from?.  I'll put it in the lead bag/box'

I might add I sold all my random leads recently for scrap otherwise I would send you one.

Manky skin and hair under it?

I "fixed" one for a mate where the keyboard had become progressively less responsive.

Pulled it open and the entire space under the keys was full of cat hair (by Thor I hope it was cat hair).

There is also that greasy, grey stuff that is made of old skin cells and oil.

On your model I think the button is on a rubber dome switch and those are basically indestructible.

You could check your settings?

Also, and I am aware that this is an odd one, go into the BIOS and do nothing except press F9 (restore defaults), F10 (save and quit) and enter.

Fixes an astonishing number of odd faults on Thinkpads.

Will have a go, gonna Hoover the keyboard again then as a last resort it's open the case time. I suspect something on the keyboard is triggering Fn F8 because the right click does work.

I hate computers also does anyone know how to fix the Skype issue where it doesn't send message replies? Because their in the sent/sending hellhole

Iv tried a registry wipe deleted appdata 4 times and done three full installs and I'm lost at this point and the only thing I can think of is somethings corrupt in the sending but but Iv no idea where I'd need to look for that?

^^ you guys are all awesome!

Ok can anyone sum thus up line by line as it's been suggested as a fix I just want to double check which are seperste commands

You can restore your registry files manually to an earlier point by going through the steps outlined below. The process is involved and requires some careful typing. Ask a computer-savvy friend to assist you if you lack experience in this area. Note that it may reset your password to an earlier value.

1. Keep tapping F8 during the early boot phase or boot the machine with your Repair CD.

2. Select Repair from the menu that looks like this one:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Advanced-startup-options-including-safe-mode

3. Log on as Administrator if prompted.

4. Select Repair when prompted.

5. Select the Command Prompt from the menu that looks like this one:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7

6. Identify the correct drive letter for your Windows installation. It could be a drive other than C: but it won't be X:. You do it by typing the commands

dir C:\Win*

dir D:\Win*

dir E:\Win*

until you find the Windows folder.

I will call that drive "Q:".

7. Type these commands:

cd /d Q:\windows\System32\config

xcopy *.* Q:\MyRegBack\

cd RegBack

dir

8. Examine the dates of the Software, System and SAM files. Were the files created before or after your problem became apparent?

9. If they were made before the problem became apparent then you can type these commands:

copy /y software ..

copy /y System ..

copy /y Sam ..

(the two dots are part of each command)

10. Reboot normally. If things do not work out then you can backtrack by copying the original registry files from Q:\MyRegBack to Q:\Windows\System32\config.

Like in step 7 can someone lay that out for me as what are seperate commands and what's meant to be typed out all on one command line?

Archived