Kel-Tec KSG

renegadecow

*plays bgm: America, *fruitcage* Yeah!!!

ksgns.jpg

If that teaser pic doesn't get you, maybe the vid will:

Kel-Tec's been a hot topic lately with their very innovative releases like the PMR-30 and RFB. Now they blow everyones minds and make the KSG (Kel-Tec Shotgun). There's no msrp yet, or even a decent pic of the left side on the internet, but I want it really bad. So bad that I've decided to make one for airsoft as the real steel probably won't be coming out any time soon nor will any airsoft company likely make a replica.

Since I'm busy with other stuff at the moment I wanted to do drafting and discussion early. Most of my day is eaten up by actual work so I want to do the thinking here and not go into some trance mid-day while I'm using power tools that could cut my fingers off.

So, right now I'm thinking of building it easy: I gut down a clone M3 Super90 to its essentials, make an external housing for it that looks and works like the KSG. Down side is it will still hold one 30rd shotshell giving me an effective 10 shots before reloading, unlike the 14 which the real one holds. I doubt I could pull off stuffing two shells in there since the TM mech is complicated enough as it is. At best, I could ditch the shell and make the two tubes hold some kind of stick magazine that holds an obscene amount of bb's.

If anyone has ideas, please put them in if you want to share.

Seems like a modified tm shotshell would be the way to go. With those 2 shell tubes, you could construct a couple "extra long" mags/shells out of tubing and locap springs. Instead of a removable shell, you'd probably need to fab a port that you could fill with a "clicky loader"

It might make adapting the tri shot mech a bit easier, and it would give you maybe a 150 bb capacity. You'd lose realism of any shells/reloading, though.

Just a thought.

Hmm, I thought the KTW had different settings. Mine at least was supposed to, need to check that again. Of course, the single-barrel as opposed to Marui tri-barrel is a minor drawback. Of course, going for total scratchbuild, using Tanaka or Wa Shan shotshells would be fun and self-contained. And that stock could fit pretty much any kind of gas reservoir to use with Maruzen shotshells.

Then again, what Don suggested would probably work with this shottie.

The Walther SG9000? I've heard plenty of good things about it (except looks), but have problems with it concerning my build. One, it's a semi-auto and the KSG is a pumper though there's talk of them developing a semi-auto if the first one sells enough. Two, those shotties don't seem to be available in HK shops which would mean I'd have to import it from US none of the US stores will ship to my country. Lastly, they don't sell 88g CO2 here so I'd need to import those as well.

i see its being semi auto as an advantage because you have less mechanical parts to worry about, even if it somewhat less realistic it would greatly reduce the work you have to do

im sure there is a way to obtain this shotgun (maybe someone on ebay or on a forum is selling his shotgun)

i guess it can be modified so that it works on regular co2 capsules or paintball tanks

At best, I could ditch the shell and make the two tubes hold some kind of stick magazine that holds an obscene amount of bb's.

If anyone has ideas, please put them in if you want to share.

how about using a couple of magazines from the gas M500 shotguns? they are in sticks, and hold about 50 bb's per tube (in 6mm) and there are 3 tubes. the only down side is that once one tube is empty, you have to rotate the whole housing to the next full tube.

still, its 300 bb's...

i think it would be better to just use the mech from the ACM M500. ditch the double tube thing and just build around the whole shotgun to make it look like the Kel-Tech.

i think i may try something like this, but more of just a bullpup configured M500 in the same style. not too keen on the double mag tube thing, dont like the look too much compare to what it would look like in a single tube config.

off the top of my head, i cant think of a way to get the mech to feed off of 2 sources since everything needs to be pretty stationary unless you place a piece between the 2 feed tubes that you can turn to the other tube after you finish off the first tube of 3 tubes.

If I modded two M500 tubes to one action, I don't think it would even have enough gas to shoot all the bb's, unless it were the 8mm variety which holds less. Can't say I'm happy with the ACM M500 quality (stock) either. I've had to go over maybe 4 of those in the past from unhappy owners.

edit:

Still very open for options though. I'll be scaling in the TM M3 tonight if it fits, but will likely require sawing off a good portion off the back end.

external air and american o'rings make them run like a champ.

but anyway, now that i have thought of it more, i may actually give this a try. gonna try to acquire myself another M500 or just replicate a 2nd mag tube out of plumbing parts and epoxy. or, make my own mag tubes with a mech similar to P90 high caps feeding into one line and into the functioning mech.

other than that, the hardest part will be the fab of the body which i probably wont be good at. but ill prey to the fiberglass gods for some prowess.

all in due time anyway. the biggest problem though will probably be positioning the mag tubes, the mech and the action bars. may have to have new action bars made...

lol, the bb cap will probably be around 1500 rounds...

i will probably be totally discouraged once i start doing the modeling and math.

oh, one more thing. it probably looks exactly the same on the other side since it feeds and ejects from the bottom.

AHHH! and one more thing, here is a good pic of the left side. and like i though, its exactly as the right. i can tell that its the left side, because i cannot find a picture of the right side that is of the same angle and i can tell, by the MBUS sights, that its the left side of them (based on the fact that the nut is visible, i have a pair for reference. nut on the left, bolt head on the right)

165751_491078874639_376139184639_5842633_383842_n.jpg

plus, i just noticed that nuts are visible for the minor outlaying screws in the grip and pump while bolts are seen in the other pics.

and here's a link to the pictures origin:

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1294032677/62

there you can find one a tiny bit larger.

and one last thing (seriously i hope), there is no projected MSRP for the real one yet, but rumor is that they are shooting for around 800 and the thing is civvi legal in the US. i don't know about you, but that is probably going to be mine when i can grab one.

Thanks! I'd assumed as much, but a clear pic was needed for encouragement. As cheap as the projected msrp for that may be, I reckon it would hit upwards of $3000 here, so replica only for me thanks. And since you might be gunning for a replica, might as well put in some resources I pulled off the net:

ksgfieldstripped.jpg

Well, here's my scale for the M3. Thanks aznriptide859 for the disassembly guide (found it on ASR) :) !

ksglayout.jpg

I've moved the mech as far back as I could without having to chop off too much for the spring guides integrity. Rectangle in green is shell loaded and in blue the allowance for reloading. I wasn't able to remove the trigger guard in taking the pic, but that comes off too. I'd need to lop off a good portion off the trigger, ditch the trapdoor and put in a small tab in its place like on the TM M203 shotty. The charging arms also don't line up so I thought of putting the real arms under the two tubes (which they already conveniently are) and put fake arms ontop that move with the pump handle. Don't mind the inner barrels tilting upwards. They really do that without the outer barrel holding them down. Also, I don't think there's space to make the front tubes as the magazine for this approach as the bb loading arm is in the way.

Personally, I only thought M3 immediately as I had one at hand I could get cheap. It seems a little complex now, but mostly in just making things line up. As an alternative, I'm thinking of putting in a CA870 mechanism in it as I know those can be fed from the front. But I have no idea how I might make those multi-shot.

thanks for the pics!

i was thinking of basing the body off of the lower frame of an MP5 (or M4 so i can use different grips) and some kind of crane stock. i personally dont like a couple of the design choices Kel-Tec makes, so i am going to deviate in a few areas. for example, im going to add more rails to the pump (side mounted flashlight and AFG for me) and change the pattern of the texture from squares to something else as i don't like it. im probably going to make a SPAS-12-esqu heat shield...

anyway, i like the ergonomics of the VLTOR EMOD stock and they are much cheaper than ACS stocks, so that's what im basing it on.

what im trying to do is make something similar but to my vision while you can take the glory of making a replica.

Necro?!? It's only been a week! Not my fault I have the worst immune system that I'd catch the flu from the slightest sneeze (also why I haven't been updating my SKS). Thanks for the vid though, very helpful. Now I can't imagine how the thing is able to eject the spent shell downwards yet still feed the next round from below. It's like one shell wants to go down and one wanting up at the same time and there's only one chute?!? Plus it doesn't even make use of a lifter like usual pumpers! I won't be able to sleep tonight. :nosleep:

edit:

My above problems don't actually apply to an airsoft build, unless say I base it on a Tanaka shotty, but I'm curious just the same. As for actual technical progress, I'm still designing a way to make a CA870 multi shot reliably, possibly by doing that multi shot AEG mod. Then I decide if I use an M3 or an M870.

Archived