Issues mounting an RIS on a VFC M4

Redshirt 1-7

take the screw off the RIS screw on the top rail to let the hook hang loose. the hook should be attached to the gas tube with a little angle to the rear of the rifle. as you push the RIS down, the hook will slide it self along the gas tube into the barrel nut, not on top of it as you said.

-brendan

take the screw off the RIS screw on the top rail to let the hook hang loose. the hook should be attached to the gas tube with a little angle to the rear of the rifle. as you push the RIS down, the hook will slide it self along the gas tube into the barrel nut, not on top of it as you said.

-brendan

The RIS doesn't have any screws that I can see. Managed to get it in with brute force via my mighty foot, though.

The result?

risfix2.jpg

Problem is, when I got the upper rail on there, I accidentally crossed most of the wire and fuse over the top of the barrel on one side and the connector on the other. The connector is being a pain and won't push out of any of the holes, and I can't shove the connector or the rest of the wire/fuse across to either side because a weird tube/rod running from the ring to the gas block is denying clearance. As if that wasn't enough trouble, because of my wonderful screw-up, the now-useless wiring won't fit easily, so the only way the bottom half would even go on was to unplug the fuse and shove it in compactly, resulting in a significantly more tacticool-looking but unusable gun. Also, did I mention I can't seem to get the top half of the RIS out now? Woohoo! :'(

Le sigh, my mechanical skills strike again. Would I be able to use a real AR wrench to remove the delta ring and then the RIS, or is there some other thing I can do to wrangle the wires out?

unfortunately no, you need theRIS removed in order to access the D-ring. however there is another way to get to your wires via removing/looseing the gas block. instead of me describing it to you, i have found a detailed guide to show you how to do this. upon the the removal/loosening of it you should simply be ably to take off he RIS.

NOTE: moving your gas block front sight will slightly move your point of aim so when putting it back together, i would recomend you re-zero your rifle after your done

guide:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KBH5P8HMeU

if posible, i would recomend you rear wire your gun as IMO they are more suited for railed ARs as the wires dont interfere with your rail system.

hope this helps!

-brendan

Archived