DMR's and Marksmen

blingblip

There are sections for support gunners and snipers so i thought id make a thread for marksmen and people who use DMR's to discuss there stuff etc.

I dont have one yet but soonish i will be buying a Marui Soppod and making a recoil dmr.

i have never played this part before and so would like to here from people who use DMR's regularly and/or have before.

Marcus

You should check out the "AEG Snipers Thread". It's basically DMRs.

But I used to run an M14 as my DMR set up but at the time I didn't have the money to do what I wanted to do with it so I sold it off. I kinda regret it but oh well, I hate AEGs anywho.

If you want to use a DMR the SR25 is good base with plenty of accesories and upgrades. But no AEG can beat the bolt action sniper rifle when it comes to accuracy and range. An upgraded and tuned BASR can very easy out perform any AEG! But the AEG semi auto function is a big bonus cause you can easy compensate the shots.

Cheers

George

I completely agree with you, wolf, I dont see dmr's and most aeg snipers as competition for bolt action snipers but as an addition to them

and in my opinion they have a completely differnet role altogether.

Im planning on using a tokyo marui sopmod for my dmr, i like the blowback and the bolt lock is a great feature for me as i play for the realism.

Well the thing is, for reasons i dont know, the recce rifle isnt/wont be available in england for some reason, ill get the sopmod and hope that they later produce longer barrels, etc.

For the time being i intend to get a long-ish silencer and use that.

but i agree the recce rifle does look brilliant

I cant lol, i fired a sopmod today and it was enough to persuade me never to buy a non recoil gun again...lol

Althought they dont take the standard parts, there are now many upgrades for them which is good, and tbh i dont like ICS

that much, the compatability is too annoying

from now on for me its EBB or GBB only lol.

thanks anyway though. :)

has anyone else ever made a dmr?

Marui SOCOM is fail, buy GBBR

for the inconsistent fps, and reliability problems inherent with all GBBR? good response...

tbh, anything adding recoil is a silly idea for a DMR. airsoft rifles have enough problems with accuracy, due to the 'round' they use (see what i did there :P), so why complicate things further? you want the most stable platform you can get.

my thoughts, anyway.

Yeah, but GBBRs can shoot further than 3 feet.

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!

...let me get this straight... You mean to tell me, that AEG's don't shoot past 3 feet? Damn my sense of distance has been off for years! :o

But really now... trying to argue a GBBR has better accuracy at longer ranges than an AEG is just ridicules... :rolleyes:

If you want to use a DMR the SR25 is good base with plenty of accesories and upgrades. But no AEG can beat the bolt action sniper rifle when it comes to accuracy and range. An upgraded and tuned BASR can very easy out perform any AEG! But the AEG semi auto function is a big bonus cause you can easy compensate the shots.

Cheers

George

There is ZERO conclusive proof, that a well tuned AEG at +/-2 FPS is any less or more accurate than a Bolt Action at +/- 2 FPS. My G&G M14 Veteran consistently outperforms upgraded VSR's and it's clones and the L96's and their clones. Perceived accuracy because you can't fire a string of shots to see how accurate it's actually being, maybe, but actual accuracy will be quite similar when compared on paper. It's the same BB launching platform. To argue that a VSR hop up rubber or unit is more effective than some of the hop up units used in AEG's (AUG, G36, TM M14's, etc) is ridiculous. The physics is identical in both styles of hop up units. :D

for the inconsistent fps, and reliability problems inherent with all GBBR? good response...

tbh, anything adding recoil is a silly idea for a DMR. airsoft rifles have enough problems with accuracy, due to the 'round' they use (see what i did there :P), so why complicate things further? you want the most stable platform you can get.

my thoughts, anyway.

While I don't "agree" with the concept of a GBBr being better than an AEG, I have to point out that my WOC is shooting at +/-8 FPS, and has been cycled probably 16000 times since it's last failed part (which was the bearing on the hammer, that hammer and trigger unit has since been replaced with a Burst Kit). I DO plan to put my WOC to the DMR test. The use of an HPA rig is obviously essential, or the CO2 magazines by GHK. No matter how you slice it, a consistent power source is a MUST. Having said that, I don't see my WOC as unreliable in the slightest. It does occasionally chop a BB (using cheap King Arms .20's for chronoing it chopped A single bb, but has yet to do that with my G&G .28's), which just adds to the realism of the system. Drop, tap, rack, bang! :)

The concept that adding anything to the game is bad, is ludicrous. What is recoil? An added challenge to accurate shooting can make the game far more enjoyable. Getting kills with a GBBr is far more satisfactory anyway. There comes a point when you are SO GOOD at your role on the field that it is no longer fun to play. I reached that goal with my G&G M14 Veteran when it was STOCK and was looking for new ways to enjoy the role by upgrading it and seeing if I could squeeze out 100 yards of usable range (not there yet, but close). Now that I have my WOC and it's running on HPA, I have a few more challenges! I'd like to bring the consistency down to +/-5 or less, I'd like to actually shoot the thing at range to get a good idea of the range with the RA-Tech Hop up rubber, I'd like to get new magazines to trace out all of the air leaks in the system that may contribute to unnecessary gas consumption. It's a laundry list of things to do, but it is a far greater challenge than continuing to dominate with my M14.

what do you guys think of a 3round burst dmr?

It's great for those "Fit hits the Shan" situations, but in the US fields will often have a DMR FPS limit that gives us an advantage at the cost of Semi-Auto, so it's difficult for us to retain FA if we want the range we need to overcome the hordes of other AEGs. For you, it's probably not a bad idea. I wouldn't use it that often, but I don't see why it would be a BAD idea. "Why fight a fair fight? The only way to win, is to fight dirty" Use all of the advantages to you that you can and run with it!

While I don't "agree" with the concept of a GBBr being better than an AEG, I have to point out that my WOC is shooting at +/-8 FPS, and has been cycled probably 16000 times since it's last failed part

tats actually not bad, better than i thought they could be. but in all honesty, ive not looked into gbbr (for anything, let alone a dmr) due to the 'newness' of them (i know they are not that new, but am keeping things simple!)

which just adds to the realism of the system. Drop, tap, rack, bang! :)

some folk want realism, some dont. for me, trying to be as real as possible is kind of defeated by running around with toys, playing war. but thats just my opinion, and am not trying to upset or fall out with anyone :)

The concept that adding anything to the game is bad, is ludicrous. What is recoil? An added challenge to accurate shooting can make the game far more enjoyable. Getting kills with a GBBr is far more satisfactory anyway.

as i said before, airsoft has enough variables to make it innaccurate, why create problems? (unless one refers to the realism point mentioned above)

Use all of the advantages to you that you can and run with it!

isnt that contradicting yourself? again, im not trying to argue with you (or anyone else). these are just my thoughts and opinions.

im not trying to single you out, and have followed with great interest all of the work you put in to your rifles, but, to me, adding problems such as stoppages and recoil when they are not needed is a fruitless endeavour.

cheers

You would be far, far better off saving a load of money and buying something like an ICS (especially second hand), which has the superior rotary hop unit design, and all the important areas with regards to customisation (gearbox, D-ring, etc) conform to the conventional standards, which makes getting the range/accuracy up to spec much cheaper and easier.

The new gen TM M4s have the rotary hop unit as well. It's definitely easier to get the FPS up in the long term on bog standard V2s though you're right, but the new TM hop is excellent.

Marui SOCOM is fail, buy GBBR

Yeah, but GBBRs can shoot further than 3 feet.

Do you actually own a SOPMOD/SOCOM? I'm gonna guess not judging by your posts.

I've got 2 SOCOMs, one with the Laylax 10.5" outer (and corresponding inner) shooting just over 280fps and it reaches out farther than plenty of guns shooting around 350. If I were to take the time to upgrade the spring to take it to ~330 it'd be going even further, saying they have no range just isn't right, especially if you're going to be comparing them GBBRs.

isnt that contradicting yourself?

When it comes to tactics, give yourself all of the advantages you can, but there comes a point when the advantages are so unfair to others that it dilutes the quality of game play to nothing more than running around and shooting at folks with toy guns. Sometimes, you put yourself at a disadvantage, to find new advantages and rejuvenate a rather bland gameplay experience. For instance, trigger response is supreme in the GBBr world, an advantage that isn't immediately known on the surface of it, but it does change the way you play, ALOT.

I guess you can say that is contradicting myself, but there is a method to the madness :)

I have found the role of DM to be extremely ineffective when equipped with a high FPS, semi-auto only AEG. It prevents you from engaging at close range (due to field's MED with DMRs) where most of the action in airsoft happens, and when you do hit people that are far away, they often don't call their hits. All in all, being a DM is quite frustrating and I quickly switched to a support role with an M249, which is MUCH more fun.

So can AEG's...

Are you trying to say a gbbr will outshoot them?

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!

...let me get this straight... You mean to tell me, that AEG's don't shoot past 3 feet? Damn my sense of distance has been off for years! :o

But really now... trying to argue a GBBR has better accuracy at longer ranges than an AEG is just ridicules... :rolleyes:

I'm saying that new Marui Socom, has low FPS/Range and it's not as easy to upgrade as "old-AEGs" and GBBRs.

I have found the role of DM to be extremely ineffective when equipped with a high FPS, semi-auto only AEG. It prevents you from engaging at close range (due to field's MED with DMRs) where most of the action in airsoft happens, and when you do hit people that are far away, they often don't call their hits. All in all, being a DM is quite frustrating and I quickly switched to a support role with an M249, which is MUCH more fun.

I've found the role to be quite satisfying really. I run at 515 fps and get awesome hits at ranges around 200-250ft. My medium engagement distance at the nearest field is only 100ft. Which isn't alot and i;ve never really felt restricted by it. But if they do get too close, well I don't carry a side arm for show. As for people not calling their hits well. Thats a person problem and not a problem inherent to the role. Me, I just keep shooting until they call there hits.

FPS doesn't equal range. It does equal effective range though. Coupled with the proper BB. At least in my experience. Its the difference between an impractical lob and a predictable arc.Then again your experiences may vary. I play in Southern Cali, where the wind always blows unpredictably.

This is mostly directed at UrPeaceKeeper. But I never understood how you got such effective ranges out of your DMR. I know not to question you since you use a laser range finder. But still. At the fps levels you always shot the Veteran at you would have to be lobbing. How high above the target did you hold, could you still see it in the scope and did you overhop your BB's? Because when I had my dmr down at around 450fps. To hit a a torso sized target at 250ft. The target would be barely visible in my scope and even then the wind always made the BB's fly unpredictably.

Archived