How much have you spent on airsoft...?

MikeLondon

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have just had a quite deep thought on the subject:

Alhough I've spent nigh on £3000 that I didn't really have spare on airsoft, the friends I've made doing it are priceless.

And that sir, is a very fine thought indeed.

I have a few weaknesses, as my username may suggest, like any decent superhero. My first one is alcohol. If I get drunk and get to a computer, then who knows what happens. The second is the 'buy it now' button. Once I have been plied with said weakness number one, this makes weakness number two all too difficult to resist, and I switch from the I really would like one of those mode, to the I am getting one of those mode. How I pay for it is something that I still havent quite figured out properly yet.

My third weakness is pistols. I love them. I have a similar fondness of gas blow back rifles, but that is more dependant on the rifle model, so the scar I dont like, you can keep your gas scar, the MP5 I love, so I have to have at least one. At least one, and therein lies another problem in itself. Pistols are much better. I love them. I cannot get enough of them. AND I actually USE them! I currently need to buy at least another two large rifle cases to put my airsoft pistols in, having filled the first one long ago, and believe me they are packed in there tighter than a witches ****. I have lost count of how many, and there are about 4 on my wishlist at the moment, with at least another 5 when and if they become available that I just really have to have.

I guess that my fourth weakness is Heckler & Koch. I just love thier guns, and tend to buy a new one each time a manufacturer comes out with one, except for Classic Army, I made that mistake only twice and learnt from it, shame that I cannot learn that quickly for weaknesses one and two, but I am getting a breathaliser fitted to my PC, so I should be fine!

So, weaknesses aside, I then have different reasons to buy each gun. The main one is probably because I have tried to fix one and it no longer works, so I need to buy another one. This generally applies to AEGs as I just cannot get my head round them, gas guns I seem to work like I am a god. I have got through more guns from them breaking and me not being able to fix them and just buying a new one, the trouble is that I get too frustrated if I cannot fix it after the first few times of trying, then I just get ###### off with it and want nothing more to do with it.

Different genres. Different types of games require different guns. If you are playing a gangster themed game, or a WWII game, then you need a period weapon. I personally have a 1928 Thompson so that I can use it for various stuff like that, but it is not overly used as it doesnt fit my day to day loadout. Then there are the guns that I have tried and used for a bit, but didnt really like, but still have as a backup. Then the guns that form part of a set, for example you cannot just have an MP5A5, you need to get an SD6, MP5J, MP5K, A3, A2 etc. etc. And then somone brings out a better version! Well, you need to buy that.

And then, after all that I have said above, logic has to cut in. The way that I see it, why pay out $50 for an extra magazine, when I can pay out $130 for an entire gun complete with the magazine? Why pay out $90 for a new piece of kit to wear when I can pay $130 for a new gun? Decent goggles are a must, and a backup set is also a must, so you have to have those. There goes another $40. I have certainly lost count of the amount of money that I have spent, as I have lost count of the number of guns that I have currently, let alone those that I have traded or sold.

I have spent well over £1000 just on MP5s. A couple of my pistols probably come close to that figure...each. Then there is the rest of the bits. It is true that it has taken me a long time to build this up, as I tend to only buy stuff when I can afford to or when I am drunk. The two pistols that I refer to are both identical, and built up over time by adding things such as lasers and compensators etc. over a longish period. I am glad that I did though, although now I dont use them because they cost me so much to make! :D Playing fees dont really come into come into it, as you play as much as you can afford to.

Airsoft CAN BE an expensive hobby, various reasons outlined above, but you can play it on a tight budget also. You need to have a gun, basic gun around $160. You need eye protection as I mentioned above, $40. That is really about it, that and ammo! Another $10. So, for $210 you are pretty much ready to go. Compare that to paintball. If you were to buy your own paintball gun you would be looking at about $400 last time I looked, but I can easily spend about $120 a time when I have gone paintballing, and I think that was fairly conservative compared to some people! But it all depends on the way that you play and the kit that you buy. Genuine or repro. Top of the range or bottom. It all does the same thing, just that some of it lasts longer and does it better than others.

I am averaging about 3 to 4K a year for the past couple of years.

I love almost every gun and I have a weaknes for a good deal, and as such very rairly let one past and have only paid full price a handfull of times. That said, I still manage to spend the above money, even when I tell myself to back off the spending. I was doing well this year, made it to July and had only spent a couple hundred, then I dont know what happened lol

I feel wierd haha. Im 14 and spent $30,000 on airsoft in the past 3 years. ( Guns, repairs, upgrades, bbs, accessories, etc.. included )

My more expensive guns would be a SG M82A1- $1500

Real Sword SVD- $800 now

VFC B.A.R.- $1250

no way

how can you spend 30.000$ there is just no way

and how does a 14 year old end up with 30grand and justify spending it on toy guns

How a person that's only 14 finds 30k is none of anyone's business.

I have not worked out exactly how much I have spent on airsoft but I would estimate somewhere around 4 grand. To put it into perspective, I know friends who have spent an awful lot more in that time period just getting hammered down the same boring pub with the same boring people.

So I do not regret it in the slightest.

To put it into perspective, I know friends who have spent an awful lot more in that time period just getting hammered down the same boring pub with the same boring people.

Same reason i use to justify my spending, i don't buy alcohol, cigarettes or drugs or go on excessive nights out drinking so what to do with the spare cash. Spend it on replica firearms.

Then again thinking about it i have not owned a brand new AEG in the 15-20 i have had and have only owned about 5-6 new pistols in my time.

'FireKnife'

*suitcase* that'll end up killing me.

Then don't start huffing the green gas and trying to catch in flight bb's with your teeth! :D

But i must admit i have only had about 2-3 hobbies (40k and a short stint of other model based hobbies, all terrible) and i have spent the most on airsoft. I mean i built a 2000 Chaos army with only £40-50 by buying smart and full sprues and bits off eBay.

I find that if you buy smart and don't mind second hand then you will have a slightly heftier wallet than when you get to your one or two year anniversary.

However i valued my present kit when i packed it up yesterday for sunday. It came to only £525.50 and that is with all my present ammo, camo, masks, gas, two TM pistols and some gloves. Most of the kit was surplus and the only non-consumables that were brand new is the two pistols and their upgrades.

'FireKnife'

A brief tally for my airsoft purchases for the period Fall 2006 - Jan 2011 comes to a total of

total spent (gear/guns): 3845

total guns: 3340

total gear: 505

total spent on guns after accounting for guns sold on: 1625

total spent on gear after accounting for gear sold on: 330

total spent after accounting for returns on guns/gear sold on: 1955

total guns: 19

total gear: 9

These totals, however, do not reflect upgrade costs to guns or gun accessories such as vertical grips, lights, PEQs, or optics.

Airsoft = plastic crack.

*all prices in USD.

How a person that's only 14 finds 30k is none of anyone's business.

I would like to know, as long as it is legal of course, as I would like to get a few more guns and that would help! :D

Just kidding, although feel free to pm me! The General is right of course, for all you know he might just be a rich kid with rich parents who dont mind him having cool stuff, a bit like Bruce Wayne when he was younger! He may have had some kind of accident and had a nice compo pay out and decided to have some fun with the money, I know a person myself who suffered terribly as a child and lost both parents in an accident, and as a result got a lot of money, but I am sure that he would have rather not. That, and the fact that the kid has specified a few of the guns that he has and how much they are worth. Also, he may have a job, averaging about $10,000 per year on airsoft stuff, at 14 not paying rent or utility bills, or food, or probably anything else, that would be a completely disposable income, and that is assuming that he hasnt saved his money for more than 3 years. I used to ear $30 per week when I was that age, ok, maybe that isnt as much as that, but 20 years ago I was quite happy with that and it went a long way!

I would just like to clarify now that I am not trying to offend anyone with any of the stuff stated above, so dont try and sue me as I have no money anyway, I have spent it all on guns!

everyone keeps for getting to take into account the cost of ammo and pyro aswell that soon adds up. i usually buy a bag 3k bbs on site which last me all day and take some home to save for the next game i usually bring around 4k bbs to site with me at any given time as u never know if its going to be one of those days.

no way

how can you spend 30.000$ there is just no way

and how does a 14 year old end up with 30grand and justify spending it on toy guns

Haha, i've been asked that alot. Lucky enought to get a job in construction ( parents buddy owns a whole construction buisness )

That+

Babysitting

Profit

Christmas/ Birthdays

no bills to pay, no car yet, no other hobbies= WINARRR

Haha, just wait a couple more years, you will find a new hobby, called birds, and then all of your once lovely gun money will be gone on them! :D @MikeLondon, it isnt the shinyness, it is because there is always a bigger gun to buy, no matter what you already own, there will be a bigger one that you have to have! :lol:

WOAH, apparently I am about to hit ($18 off form it) the paypal unverified account spending limit of 10k USD. WTF? There is NO WAY I've spent that much on airsoft, and not all on paypal... NO WAY. Hmm..... This is weird.

I reckon I've spent about 2.5K on various gear over the past 5 years, I have spent probably +5K on guns (though much of the money on these items has been recycled), $1k on consumables/etc (batteries, bbs, field fees, gas, food), and maybe some other misc. for another 1K, so 9.5-10K is a very generous estimate of what I've spent over five years (with constant buying and selling, many times with me making PROFIT :P ). Still a stupid lot of money for a 17 year old to spend on a hobby like this. My parents think I am a nutter for it and keep telling me to invest, which I think I'll do if I work the summer (spare moneys for college is needed).

I still cannot believe I HAD that much disposable cash :o

The funny thing is if I were to add up all the steals/deals I've had, I would probably have another 5K in money I have saved buying used/using the perks of working at an airsoft store/just using the internets to my benefit. The other thing is, many of the things I have I worked for, trading money/wages for a bit more in store credit to build what I wanted (like a TOP/PGC SAW that I got for $0 and LOTS of hard work building bitchy guns for other people).

If I had bought my car all my money would have been diverted to car parts and mods, but as its new and not technically mine I cannot do so (which is probably a blessing).

I've spent $1400 at Crye Precision in the past month.... Then to add on the classics, the AEGs, the GBBRs, the other multicam, the other gear, the pelican cases....... $10k is pretty easy to hit when you think about it man, although I'm not living on a 17 year old's income, even though going back to school has me feeling like it is.

Another word of advice, don't put too much money into your first car, at least until you are 25. I put just a cold air intake into my car that got "found" when the agent was inspecting damage done by another driver and my premium went up significantly as I was no longer driving a "luxury coupe", I was driving a "modified luxury coupe". I turn 25 in a few weeks, and my premium goes right back down thankfully.

I think I'm hovering around the $25,000 mark but my friends seem to think I'm closer towards the $30,000. Maybe I'm kidding myself by downplaying the figures so I don't feel so bad :D. Anyhow in Japan it's easier to hit the high prices easily...

Hope I don't break up with a girl again - it gets expensive.

Archived