MBITR replicas

sigma3

I did resolve that problem, yes. What I didn't notice at the time, however, was that the threads on the connector had actually SNAPPED. Over time, this resulted in the connector separating internally in such a way that I don't see how I could ever get it back together again reliably.

I now have a REAL U-283 connector which I am attempting to figure out how to install. It looks like it will take some modding of the radio housing. I know others have done this, I'm just trying to find the info. If you have any advice, I'm all ears.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did resolve that problem, yes. What I didn't notice at the time, however, was that the threads on the connector had actually SNAPPED. Over time, this resulted in the connector separating internally in such a way that I don't see how I could ever get it back together again reliably.

I now have a REAL U-283 connector which I am attempting to figure out how to install. It looks like it will take some modding of the radio housing. I know others have done this, I'm just trying to find the info. If you have any advice, I'm all ears.

I may be interested in a real U-283 connector as well. Were did you source yours, and how much did you pay? And if you do figure out how to mod the case take some photos? Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Maybe they're coming out with a new version again? That would be really sweet, however, none of the replicas from any of the brands have sounded that successful so far. For me to buy one I would want the following.

Metal shell

Simple and reliable programing that works on any computer

Decent range

No impedance issues. Here this manufacturers? That means a switch to change between civilian and mil. like on the inside of the toy soldier.

Dual com feature (not 100% necessary, but it would be cool)

Compatibility with real headsets aka u283

Other cool things would be some decent replica ptts especially a TEA one with proper plugs. Anyways, none of the ones out so far have come anywhere near accomplishing all of these things. The US and DR versions both have impedance and programing issues, at least for many, the US version has a plastic shell and there are many instances of the u283 panel being ripped out, and the toy soldier version is pretty much an expensive talkabout.

It seriously seems like all of the companies need to get together and figure something out because each of the things on my list above is accomplished by at least one of the radios, but not one of them has them all. For instance, the Toy Soldier has the impedance switch, the United Star has the dual com feature and good range ( adjustable transmitting/recieving power is a cool plus), the DR has an aluminum shell, they are all available with u283s, and toy soldier has a ton of replica ptts. How about one company just get ALL of these things right!:D

Ahh, very good point. I'm glad that I'm not the only one here who thinks that none of the replicas so far have really been up to par. Maybe the requirements I listed sound a little bit demanding, but I think that effective and realistic coms are one of the most difficult pieces of gear for milsim airsofters to aquire and I wish that a decent company would step in and fill the gap. In all honesty, it is looking like this could quite possibly happen fairly soon. I mean, the replicas available now are definitely moving in the right direction and there is obvious progression, but what really needs to happen is for the functionality to be perfected. Another thing that I basically summarized, but never outright said is that if I pay $300 or more for a radio (which I am willing to do) I want it to work like a $300 radio would, not like an expensive talkabout.

Archived