MBITR replicas

sigma3

Looking to get a new radio, and to my surprise some of these MBITR replicas actually seem to be pretty solid contenders. The main ones that seem worth a damn are the newer DragonReds and the United Star. Has anyone done an apples-to-apples comparison of the two? Any opinion on which is a better choice?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The United MBITR is awesome.

It looks real, is solid and of good workmanship.

The second gen version is improved. No need to remove the o-ring on your U-329/U or U-183/U plug anymore.

Tests with my H-350/U handset showed no problems. I guess same goes for the H-250.

The included antennas are real working antennas.

Make sure you have a serial port on your computer. You'll need that to connect the MBITR for programming channels or switching to the manual frequency setting mode (the serial cable and software CD are included).

Of all the working MBITR replicas I've held in my hands this one is by far the best.

The United MBITR is awesome.

Make sure you have a serial port on your computer. You'll need that to connect the MBITR for programming channels or switching to the manual frequency setting mode (the serial cable and software CD are included).

Mine should be waiting at home for me. I'll test if it also works with the USB cable I got for the Puxing-888, I kinda hope so. Most PC's don't have serial ports any more....

I thought you could program it right on the radio, without need for a PC? I don't have one.

Also, KWP, can you elaborate on which MBITRs you have owned? I always think that's helpful in reviews.

Yes, you can but you have to switch between either manual frequency setting or just preset channel selection.

To switch between these two modes you need to connect the radio to a computer and use the software. You can use the software to program your own channels for the channel selection mode.

I didn't own all of them functioning MBITR replicas, but I could test them all and my conclusion is that the TS is very inferior compared to the DH and the United. That goes for the quality of the materials, the poor workmanship, durabilty, performance and unrealistic markings. The DH is heavy but rigid, is longer and thinner than the rea deal, lots of things don't really look like an MBITR, small display. The United is in a class of its own: Superior quality and workmanship, looks good and realistic, feels solid, 5W output.

Where did you order is from? Somewhere in Europe?

No, Ebairsoft. Took about 2 weeks to arrive.

Just unpacked it, really good looking piece of kit.

2 issues though:

- the software requires a serial number for installation and I for the life of me can't locate the serial number anywhere. I tried the number on the box, the s/n printed on the radio etc. Any suggestions anyone?

- I expected the connector on top to be the same type as either my (real steel) bowman prr headset connector or (more likely) the bowman dual PTT connector. However they are completely different. Anyone got a suggestion on how to rig up a converter cable?

- I expected the connector on top to be the same type as either my (real steel) bowman prr headset connector or (more likely) the bowman dual PTT connector. However they are completely different. Anyone got a suggestion on how to rig up a converter cable?

I discovered that I have a PTT with the clansman connector. Planning on making an adapter wire now. Recommendations on where to buy the GC-329 connector to mate with the MBITR would be appreciated!

I've contacted http://www.clo-electronique.fr/clo-connecteurmil-en-501.html because i'm also in need of some plugs, no answer untill now

kallistaelectronics.co.uk is able to supply both the GC329 (crimp) and GC329G2 (solder) versions of the needed plug for 12.10/15,34 UKP. The Clansman female counterpart I bought from Ebay.

I'm looking into a miniature impedance matching transformer at the same time. In case the MBITR won't play nice with the PRR microphone I can add that transformer in the adapter lead.

Yes, you can but you have to switch between either manual frequency setting or just preset channel selection.

To switch between these two modes you need to connect the radio to a computer and use the software. You can use the software to program your own channels for the channel selection mode.

I didn't own all of them functioning MBITR replicas, but I could test them all and my conclusion is that the TS is very inferior compared to the DH and the United. That goes for the quality of the materials, the poor workmanship, durabilty, performance and unrealistic markings. The DH is heavy but rigid, is longer and thinner than the rea deal, lots of things don't really look like an MBITR, small display. The United is in a class of its own: Superior quality and workmanship, looks good and realistic, feels solid, 5W output.

Thanks, quite helpful. By DH you mean the DragonRed?

Alright after someone pointed out to me to look for the S/N on the CD I now installed the software.

However my hopes that the Puxing USB-kenwood cable would work for the MBITR proved unfounded. The software will not talk to the MBITR through that cable and I have no serial port.

Anyone managed to get that to work?

Did you try different USB ports on your computer? I had the same problem with my kenwood tk3301, only on port of the 6 seem to work.

I also have a question tough,

Does anyone know if they are visual differences between a Electret conderser microphone and a Electrodynamic microphone?

I have a TCI Liberator II, but i can't test it out yet to know if i have a impedance mismatch.

IMG_1133.JPG

Im not sure, but i think with the first batch, the u283 is wired wrong and is not working.

How's your radio? Already tested it? I'm ordering mine from Ebairsoft this week. I only hope i will get in in Belgium as our law prohibits radios with detachable antennas.

Im not sure, but i think with the first batch, the u283 is wired wrong and is not working.

How's your radio? Already tested it? I'm ordering mine from Ebairsoft this week. I only hope i will get in in Belgium as our law prohibits radios with detachable antennas.

It seems to work okay but I haven't been able to program the right frequencies in it yet. (waiting for USB-serial adapter). Also the real steal audio connector was somewhat loose which resulted in the wiring torqueing and ripping fee when I tried to twist the rubber cap off. (It's a straight pull I know now...). So I need to resolder that wiring, bleh.

Unit does look and 'feel' very good though, looking forward to testing it once the proper frequencies are set.

I'll probably bring it to Schoten coming weekend, do you go to the Comman0 skirms?

Archived