MBITR replicas

sigma3

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Programming the radio through a USB-Serial adapter works fine. Also just finished rewiring the NATO connector and everything is still alive. Whew.

I thought you originally report it didn't work? What has changed since then?

I am very interesting in getting a United Star one. Could anyone tell me where from which retailer can I find the "later" version?

EDIT: Well read some more, looks like "version 2" is everywhere. About to get on from RSOV. Will try to get this to work with a genuine H350/U headset. Now to find an ancient computer with a serial port...

• 3 weeks later...

My United Star just arrived from EB. Looks really good so far with two exceptions:

1) the programming software came on a disc that was completely unprotected, just sliding around in the bottom of the box. I'm sure it's fine, but c'mon, how hard is it to put a sleeve on a CD?

2) the CD is one of those 3" mini-CDs, so it won't be possible to use it with the slot-loading drive on my laptop. Hopefully it's just a file I can copy to the hard drive and chuck the disc.

I'll get to charging it up tonight and see if I can't get an old PC to boot.

Well, that was a pain in the *albatross* of downloading and installing all kinds of drivers and having to get alternate versions of the programming software and all that, but it's now working very reliably. I'm pretty confident saying this is a solid radio of pretty high quality for what it is.

Unfortunately, the radio alone does not solve all my problems! I'm having a hard time finding a PTT with mil plugs that will work. If anyone has got one of these to work with a replica PTT to a REAL headset, I'd love to hear about it.

• 2 weeks later...

I got mine from EB about 3 weeks ago. I share your feelings on them but had no problems with this order.

RSOV occasionally has them, as well.

On to my continuing mini-review: I used this in the field on Saturday for the first time. It was very rocky terrain and not good for radios, but I was impressed with the performance of this one. It seemed able to receive and transmit better than most other radios present (mostly Icom F4s). However, I did discover that the channel wheel on the top is VERY sensitive, and several times I had unintentionally changed channel. Not cool! I may need to look into ways to disable that wheel. I also still don't have a working PTT, so I was using the radio entirely by hand, which was annoying (but really nothing to do with the radio itself).

I just ordered one (UHF) from UN Company. Same price as EBB but with express shipping. They (UNCo) seem to have gotten some in stock recently.

I plan to use this with an H-350/U "telephone" handset (at least for now) for a USMC kit. Anyone have experience with how the H-350/U PTT functions with this one? If not, I guess I'll find out in a few days. Hopefully its plug and play, fingers crossed.

What kind of cabling did you end up using for the PC connection, sigma3? Serial to USB? Since I'll probably set the frequencies to FRS and let it be, I could probably find some ancient computer to do the one-time programming, but I'd rather be able to do it at home. Anyway, I currently run an F4 as well, so I'm glad that this will actually be an upgrade in performance, not just a $10 radio in a fancy looking metal box.

I bought a $5 USB-to-serial adapter off ebay and (eventually, after mucking around with drivers for a while) that did the trick. The software's not great but it's easy enough once you get it working.

My team leader has a bunch of H-350s that we're going to try it with. Haven't done so yet. I suspect it'll run into the same mic impedence problem, but who knows.

I haven't modified anything yet. I WILL be using it with dual comm MSA Sordins, which I realize I'll have to modify to work (or get a super expensive dual-impedence PTT, which won't happen).

Mhh that´s my problem.

That MBITR looks very cool, but I don´t want to modify my 500US$ Sordin -.-

Any mo' info on usage with H-350/U? So far 1 report of working fine.

Just got mine in, but currently programmed for 453MHz. I'm waiting for the serial to USB cable to reprogram to FRS/GMRS, so that's at least Friday before I can even see if Tx/Rx works, and at least till next week that I receive a H-350/U for PTT testing. Any tips on using the software before-hand?

It looks good. All the markings look fairly accurate. Even the NSN on the right hand sticker is correct. The battery sticker is stuck on incorrectly and also incorrect (it says charge every 2 weeks, should be 12 weeks), but it feels solid. Lighter than I thought it would be, but heavy enough that you notice the difference when you put it on your vest.

My team leader should be bringing me a H-350 on Friday to test. Meanwhile I've nearly got my Sordins working.

On the software: don't bother with the software off the disc. It MAY work for you but I could never get it to even run under XP, and I hear it was buggy anyway. There's an updated version someone posted on ASC...

http://h.foxleader.net/tactical/mbitr/setup_mod.zip

This one I've had no problems with (not even the harmless but confusing popup message bug some other users have reported)

Also, here's a file with default FRS/GMRS freqs. http://h.foxleader.net/tactical/mbitr/MBITR-FRS-GMRS.txt

The whole ASC thread is easily the most informative on these radios and I recommend reading it all. http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=114793

Happy squawking!

On the software: don't bother with the software off the disc. It MAY work for you but I could never get it to even run under XP, and I hear it was buggy anyway. There's an updated version someone posted on ASC...

http://h.foxleader.net/tactical/mbitr/setup_mod.zip

This one I've had no problems with (not even the harmless but confusing popup message bug some other users have reported)

Also, here's a file with default FRS/GMRS freqs. http://h.foxleader.net/tactical/mbitr/MBITR-FRS-GMRS.txt

Thanks for that. I've downloaded it. Are you supposed to run the installer or can you run the .exe directly? If I try installing, the included serial doesn't work. If I run the .exe, the just starts and then closes itself.

Unfortunately, I discovered a real problem. I attached an MSA U94 PTT to the radio, but apparently I attached the hell out of it, because I couldn't get it to detach later. I thought I had it and it was pulling loose... but actually it was pulling loose the entire U-283 connector from the radio and severed all of the wiring!

This should be easy enough to fix, except I'll need a pinout of the wires. Gonna ask around on ASC for that.

The connector is still stuck on the PTT connector, and I'm not totally convinced it's coming off. Gonna spray the whole thing with silicon and see if that helps.

Mhh that´s my problem.

That MBITR looks very cool, but I don´t want to modify my 500US$ Sordin -.-

i buy that mbitr 148 model from toysoldier with the real 5 pin ptt for real Sordin,peltor usw works absolutly great with my sordins no problems speak and hearing good,distanc good

and for ca 200 usd great

best regards

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately, I discovered a real problem. I attached an MSA U94 PTT to the radio, but apparently I attached the hell out of it, because I couldn't get it to detach later. I thought I had it and it was pulling loose... but actually it was pulling loose the entire U-283 connector from the radio and severed all of the wiring!

This should be easy enough to fix, except I'll need a pinout of the wires. Gonna ask around on ASC for that.

The connector is still stuck on the PTT connector, and I'm not totally convinced it's coming off. Gonna spray the whole thing with silicon and see if that helps.

Sigma, did you manage to resolve this? If not send me a message and I'll look up the info in my notes.

I had exactly the same problem. The connector is a replica of the milspec connector, and the use of loctite is beyond the chinese apparantly. So I too had the problem with the connector screwing loose and twisting & breaking the wires beneath. Strongly recommend putting loctite on the threads when you fix it.

Archived