What is FASTmag®?

I first saw Fastmag on Milspec monkey's youtube channel, after seeing it in action I wanted one!

Fastmag is a single capacity friction based magazine holder for the M4. It has been around for a while and this is the third incarnation .The idea behind it is to replace one or two of your magazine pouches (DONT go crazy and replace every magpouch!)

I use mine on my belt as that is the first mag I reach for, I then top it up with other mags. That way I'm always drawing from the same place.........

There are currently two version being produced, belt mounted and molle mounted. On the belt mounted version there are two "fins" this help stabilise prevents the fast mag from moving about, however this is not an issue as a use my belt version in both configurations.

Fastmag can be double stacked however this is not very common as its un-practical due to the bulk.

Construction

The mag is two pieces of moulded plastic which are held together by what is effectively an elastic band. This provides the tension on the mag, it is non adjustable, however this is not an issue as the mags are not difficult to retrieve and are secure enough that you

can mount them upside down and even jump up and down!

Securing the mag to your MOLLE/belt couldnt be easier, there is no need to thread through like molle. Just slide the two rubber tabs and lock into place.

Cost

I bought mine from Tactial-kit.co.uk for £22.50 which might seem pricey but this thing is very tough and you know it will last unlike the Chinese copies which are £10 quid!

Buy cheap, Buy twice.

Field Testing

I use it virtually every time I airsoft because it is that good and is almost instinctual now.

This is very tough having used it alot in cqb and woodland, it shows no sign of wear!

Overall

Would I recommend it?

Yes every (modern) airsoft who was a weapon which uses M4 magazines should buy one!

Pictures (click to enlarge)

DSCF0395.jpg

DSCF0388.jpg

DSCF0396.jpg

DSCF0390.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Good review but i must add two points. The tension can be somewhat adjusted, as you can just push the elastic band upwards in the upper "slot". And another positive point towards the RS FatMAG's is that the color of the ACM ones are completely off and are much much lighter.

I have 3 RS FastMag's on my vest and another 3 ACM ones and i'm changing to the RS ones as soon as i can.

I use these as well on a warrior PLB belt setup. I have owned both the chinese clones and the real versions.

Somebody told me that I wasted my money on the real version and that the china clones were just as good. I was extremely happy with the gen 3 (also ordered from UK tactical), so I decided to get the china versions (as the price for the real ones is pretty steep after all).

I sold the china ones on after a single skirm to somebody who didn't want to spend the cash on the real ones. Granted, the difference isn't HUGHE, but it's certainly noticable. The china ones had a lot more "slack" when they were mounted on the molle loops of my PLB belt. Overall, it just made the draw slightly worse then the real version.

If you've never used the real ones, I doubt you'll find the china clones bad. Heck, even if you have used the real versions before, the china ones aren't bad. They are just not quite as good and solid as the real version. Wether or not that's worth it's extra cost, is entirely dependant on the person using them I guess... :)

I use these as well on a warrior PLB belt setup. I have owned both the chinese clones and the real versions.

Somebody told me that I wasted my money on the real version and that the china clones were just as good. I was extremely happy with the gen 3 (also ordered from UK tactical), so I decided to get the china versions (as the price for the real ones is pretty steep after all).

I sold the china ones on after a single skirm to somebody who didn't want to spend the cash on the real ones. Granted, the difference isn't HUGHE, but it's certainly noticable. The china ones had a lot more "slack" when they were mounted on the molle loops of my PLB belt. Overall, it just made the draw slightly worse then the real version.

If you've never used the real ones, I doubt you'll find the china clones bad. Heck, even if you have used the real versions before, the china ones aren't bad. They are just not quite as good and solid as the real version. Wether or not that's worth it's extra cost, is entirely dependant on the person using them I guess... :)

Well there not that expensive and the quality shows! Money well spent...........

I don't think the 'fins' are there to stabilise the belt.

I'm fairly sure they're there to push the mag out from the body when mounted on a vest.

Yes on further investigation you are correct, sorry if it mislead anyone.

I'm really tempted by the idea of using these on a blackhawk! strike bandolier for a high speed high maneuverability loadout, would you whole heartedly recommend them ?

Check MM, he does the same thing with a tad bandolier, some very gucci photos.

See:http://www.militarymorons.com/equipment/2ndline2.html

EDIT: Yes I would recommend them totally

I don't really understand what this does that a standard open-top MOLLE M16 mag pouch doesn't already do...?

Well I have a triple central on my rig and the draw is much quicker from the fastmag.

Edited by Banshee_Will

Turn the open-top mag pouch upside down, see the mag fall on the ground. Voilá.

Well, my single mag pouches have enough tension to keep the mags inside no matter the position, but I agree that's the main difference. Specially if you are using double/triple-mag pouches.

Well, my single mag pouches have enough tension to keep the mags inside no matter the position, but I agree that's the main difference. Specially if you are using double/triple-mag pouches.

Yes my open top Warrior pouches are also snug enough to hold my mags upside down, even my GBBR ones who weight >400gr each. But i wouldn't trust them to hold my heavy gbb mags upside down while running all the around the place.

Heck i don't even trust the ACM ones to do that after one of them dropped the mag it was holding while i was jumping from a truck.

• 2 weeks later...

So you're basically paying twice the amount so that your mags don't drop out when you flip upside down and do somersaults during a game. Cool.

Don't try to tell me there isn't a Gucci gear element at play here!

I just use it as my first draw mag, then top it up with my other mags as a go along.

but alright bud, if you can't see the value of that then don't buy it!

If all the literature and demo's available don't convince you then nothing will.

Edited by Banshee_Will

So you're basically paying twice the amount so that your mags don't drop out when you flip upside down and do somersaults during a game. Cool.

Don't try to tell me there isn't a Gucci gear element at play here!

I could go on explaining the advantages of the FastMAG system but i'm lazy so i'll just reply to your "argument",

Eagle Single AR Mag Pouch - $27

FastMAG v3 - $29

( Prices taken from one major online retailer )

I fail to see your math .... ( and before you retort that you can get cheaper pouches, i can also get cheap copy fastmags ... hell i bough a pack of 3 for 10 bucks ).

Gucci !! Ohhh wait ...

Edited by danielsilva
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Good review but i must add two points. The tension can be somewhat adjusted, as you can just push the elastic band upwards in the upper "slot". And another positive point towards the RS FatMAG's is that the color of the ACM ones are completely off and are much much lighter.

I have 3 RS FastMag's on my vest and another 3 ACM ones and i'm changing to the RS ones as soon as i can.

Good call on the retention slots. I ran my fast mags upside down once and only once because my mags kept falling out. I assumed it was just clone status. I'll try it again. Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully this'll work...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I have a chinese clone and it works perfectly. I have only one on my ciras in the upside-down position. You can really reload very fast that way.

I just had one problem with it: the optional friction rubber that you place inside the fastmag, didn't stay in place well... I fixed that easily by putting double-sided adhesive tape between the rubber and the plasic housing, as well as some sillicone adhesive for the first rubber tap.