JG Gear Box V2 Upgrade Version, 410-460Fps (Pic Heavy)

Haven't had the fortune of testing it out right out of the box due to time constraints, so I cant tell you how powerful it is just out of the box and in the gun. I can tell you that it has promise, but JG really screwed the pooch on a lot of details, both in and outside of the box. I wrote the review as I went, so this is written out as a play-by-play review.

P1030152.jpg

P1030148.jpg

At first glance it's a nice looking, clean box. There are a few posts that poke out though, that Ive never seen before. (#10) Hoping I don't have to grind them down, mainly because Im lazy. I will say though that the screws used to close the GB are already marred up, and a bit shallow for how big the cross section is. Probably going to have to switch them out at some point. There is a window to operate the Anti-Reversal latch (#1.), which is convenient enough. Also, The bearings (#2.) are completely enclosed. Nice touch to stop from damaging them.

P1030151.jpg

GB was a bit rough to open. The cylinder set was stuck to the side shell, and pulled the tapet plate with it. Not boding well so far.

P1030154.jpg

The trigger is a bit on the thick side, clearance between the top part and the sector gear is extremely tight. (#3.)(See note at end) GB shell has an odd lip to it around the front and top(#4.), I suppose to align it properly? Minor annoyance when putting it together.

P1030155.jpg

Shimming is quite extensive, using some pretty thick shims about the size of a regular washer (#5). Wiring looks good, no exposed points at all, looks like the low resistance set from systema. Could be a little thicker though.

P1030161.jpg

Spring guide is a bit chincy, switching it out for one with closed bearings.

P1030160.jpg

Gears aren't bad, but I wanted to swap them out for KWA Gen1 Gears (trying to see how long these bastards last, got over 350k round through them and they don't have *any* wear). Can't do that though, they don't jive properly. They are rated for a M150 spring though (XYT) so I'll be keeping the new set. Gears seem a bit odd, the sector gear has actual grinding points on it where the teeth go (#6). I'm used to seeing a bit more of a smooth surface there. Also has a plastic delayer (#7). Hope the pics turn out ok. The Bevel gear actually looks pretty nice.

P1030170.jpg

P1030166.jpg

P1030167.jpg

P1030168.jpg

P1030169.jpg

P1030171.jpg

P1030163.jpg

The spur gear however is a bit odd, Ive see quite a few gear sets before, but never one with a removable shaft sleeve(#8a & 8b).

P1030176.jpg

P1030177.jpg

P1030172.jpg

Cylinder head was REALLY tight. Had to use a hammer to break it loose. Air nozzle has no o-rings.

P1030175.jpg

Piston wasn't to bad, even had the 2nd tooth shaved. Also was ported.

P1030178.jpg

P1030182.jpg

Tapet plate looks like garbage. Not digging a few issues, pictured. (#9.)

P1030185.jpg

Area for the cylinder is extremely tight. Might have to shave it slightly. Could be the reason why the cylinder got stuck when I opened it up. Also, the edges around the opening for the cylinder are extremely rough, couldn't get a good pic of it but it's rough enough to be a cause for concern (as far as QC is concerned).

P1030157.jpg

Assembly

This thing is a pain so far. Tried to use the KWA gears (Gen 1) but they didn't want to work right. Also, couldn't swap out some gears, as both were specific on how the teeth fed together. Stuck with the new ones. They should be fine anyway.

Shimming took forever due to how much shimming was needed, and the trigger kept getting the sector gear caught up. Tried using a thinner hammer trigger, but that gave me trigger connection issues (if I squeezed the trigger all the way to fire, nothing. If I squeezed it most of the way, but not all, continuous spin on the motor.) So I said screw it and put the original trigger in. Once it was all together, it worked fine, no rub on the hammer of the trigger.

Those spots I mentioned earlier needed to be filed down. All three posts that jut out had to be shaved (#10)

10.png

P1030147.jpg

The screws (Yellow arrows) given were counter sunk screws, but the holes for them were not. This is going to cause some stress on the screws and eventually probably break the heads off. Ill be a saaaaad panda. Gotta find the right screws soon. The receiver pin hole was WAY too tight, had to drill that out. (#11)

P1030149.jpg

End Notes:

- Mosfet is acting up, with a high voltage battery you can get off about 10-15 shots and it shuts off due to over heating. Lower voltage shoots longer, obviously, but it still overheats and breaks the fuse. A 30-90 seconds later it shoots again. Mosfet works!

- You get what you pay for. In my case $80 should have went to a KWA Gen2 drop in (if I could find it)

- Rear wiring was wayyyyyyyy to long, even for a full stock. Had to cut that down anyway for QD's (G&P Marine Stock wont allow the Mosfet to go through the narrow hole) to be installed.

- Can't get a ROF count due to the mosfet blowing so fast.

- Good news is my spring I needed is very close to my goal (<375) @366-369fps)

Edited by deviated rationality
  • 4 weeks later...

Looks like they made it Dboys / VFC kac pdw compatible! Those nubs in the side of the gearbox are for the kac pdw bolt catch, and the dents near the spurgears bearing's are for the selector switch gears. Awesome, now im not *****'d if my gearbox cracks! Those gears are 100% standard dboys gears btw.. Nothing special, my dboy's spurgear's shaft snapped off with a sp120 spring. I replaced the shaft with a TM one and it looks like new now.. :P