No More Anonymous Modding

Mods need to do things from time to time. No one argues the need for this.

Sometimes - for whatever reason - they don't contact the user concerned to explain the situation. We'll not go into this.

Therefore, any Mod who takes action should be required to put his/her ID on the action, so that if there is confusion or any other issue, they can be contacted for further information. Also, it's a pretty basic courtesy.

Before someone says something along the lines of "We don't have time to do that" - how long does it take to type your name? Not long.

I've seen other sites where the site staff always put their IDs next to anything they do. It's not an issue at all. Have the courage of your convictions and sign off on your actions. If you're afraid of follow-up, maybe you shouldn't be doing whatever it is that you're doing?

That's my idea...

"Pretty basic courtesy" appears to be a completely alien concept to you, as it's something I've never seen you extend to another forum user.

Me-Just-sayin.jpg?imageSize=Medium&generatorName=kanye-west-just-sayin

The forum mods here have to deal with an astronomical figure of whining morons, and I suspect it's not so much being afraid of any follow up, but the "follow up" 9/10 times being

crying_baby.jpg

And therefore completely pointless to deal with/respond to.

Edited by Shriven

You can make an educated guess as to who removed your signature by taking a look at your most recent visitors, in this case it was myself that removed the 'Perks' section of your signature as it was over the new signature limits.

However, as these limits are new I didn't delete the text entirely like we do most of the time and moved it into your 'About Me' section of your profile so you would have the option of simply leaving it there or cutting it down and re-adding it to your signature. You didn't even receive warns despite having issues with signature limits at least three times before (as seen: http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=139613 and http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=169987), as these rules are fairly new (and with regards to one of your previous complaints, have had an announcement available for viewing for an extended period of time! :)), and received a courtesy generally not extended to members whose signatures are removed. I really don't see what there is to complain about.

You miss the point, which is not related to any specific incident, either of Mod actions affecting myself or anyone else, but rather a general reaction to observed patterns of Mod actions over time.

No user should have to make an "educated guess" as to what Mod did what. If whatever action was taken is legitimate, then there's no issue with owning up to who did it. If it's not legitimate, then it shouldn't have been done in the first place.

While it's clear that most Mods will be busy a lot of the time, and claim this prevents them from informing users about actions that might be taken or have been taken in an informative and useful manner which might avoid causing further problems; at least if Mods publicly take ownership of their own actions - rather than using invisible edits, deleting posts without a trace or explanation, and all manner of other anonymous actions - then anyone involved will know who to go to if they have a question, grievance, or whatever.

As I mentioned before, on other forums, Mod actions are clearly marked as such, with the name of the Mod involved, so that all can be seen to be transparent and above board.

It would be a shame if this forum can't claim the same moral standard for its staff.

Posts are deleted because they break the forum rules, leaving them visible with a small note would be entirely pointless, as the content would still be visible, the users post count would still be raised (only really an issue with members attempting to spam to raise their post count), and the thread would be cluttered with off-topic nonsense.

Any moderator action is logged and visible to administrators, who are the only individuals that should be acting as a sort of 'internal affairs department' for the moderating team. The lines of complaint on Arnies are rather well laid out; users are able to PM any moderator with their grievance, and if they feel that the moderator's actions are not to their satisfaction they are able to PM another moderator or an administrator, or they can simply raise their issue in this forum.

I must confess I am struggling to see the benefit. Certainly it appears to carry none for the majority of forum users who adhere to forum rules and thus never need to know which moderator has done what.

If a member wants to know which moderator has done something, they can simply contact myself or Arnie. As Misfit correctly states, the forum logs all action.