Merrel MOAB Boots

DSCF0415.jpg

Construction Materials:

UPPER/LINING

• Waterproof Dura leather and mesh upper

• Bellows tongue keeps debris out

• Synthetic leather toe cap and heel counter

• GORE-TEX® Performance Comfort Footwear lining protects feet and keeps them dry

• Breathable mesh lining treated with Aegis® Antimicrobial solution maintains foot comfort

• Ortholite® Anatomical Footbed

MIDSOLE/OUTSOLE

• Molded nylon arch shank

• Compression molded EVA footframe provides cushioning

• Merrell® air cushion in the heel absorbs shock and adds stability

• 5mm Sole lug depth

• Vibram® Multi-Sport Sole/TC5+ Rubber

DSCF0414.jpg

I purchased these boots around august 2010, initially to replace my combat boots.I couldn't get hold of any asolo FSN without paying significantly more.

Initial Impressions:

I bought boots these at "BLACK'S" camping store for £100 pounds however because of my discount card I got 10% off. I might have got them cheaper on the internet but I believe its good to try boots on before you purchase them, as peoples feet vary and they might not suit you.

There are four different colours available, I purchased the Walnut/Brown as that was the most popular colour and its was available, I wasn't too bothered about the colour more the functionality!

Appreance:

The quality of these boots are very high, the stitching is neat and there are no apparent defects.

These boots came highly recommend to me by a few friends. I tried them on in the store they were very comfortable, I even got to use test them in the store on a variety of surfaces and was thougerly impressed.

A nice feature is the reflectors on the lace points, didnt notice at first! (see picture)

DSCF0421.jpg

Durability/Field testing:

I have owned these boots for a while and tested them to there limits! (can you tell by all the mud?)

I have used these for many different activities these boots have are my "go to boots" for any activity as they are so comfy and light weight.

Walking and Hill hiking they preform amazingly as your can still get feedback from your feet but your have ankle support.

You run can in these boots without getting hotspots or being uncomfortable and wear them all the time

Even though these are summer boots because of the vents, they can still tackle snow and cold conditions. I wore these when all the snow was happening in the UK.

However the insulation isn't great (obviously), so you will have dry but cold feet. (Get a winter boot)

Wear and Tear:

One of the brass tacs which says "gore-tex" on the side has fallen off (see pictures)

The plastic end of one laces has become damaged

The edges between the vents are becoming softened from use

NONE of these defects are significant but its still nice to know!

(See below for the missing brass tack)

DSCF0422.jpg

Comfort:

Unlike other boots I have, these requried no time to "break" in. They are like trainers............

Having previously worn combat boots high you will feel slightly naked when wearing these as they are fairly low cut (Just level with your ankle), however these offer a perfect compromise between ankle support and movement/comfort

Overall Ratings:

Initial Impressions: 10/10 Due to faulty pair at first.

Appearance: 9/10 Looks good and .

Durability: 10/10.

Comfort: 9/10 Like a pair of trainers! No break in time needed.

Yes, I replaced my combat boots with these and so should you! They cost less than a good pair of combat boots and are so much better

Make sure you have quality socks as well, I would recommend Bridgedale socks there not cheap but you wont be disappointed.

Thanks to Justin.Kovacks (I copied his layout)

I also have a pair of these. And I'm reasonable impressed

I'd agree with the comments you've made about feeling slightly more exposed than combat boots (Converse 8" Side Zips) but do give you a more trainer like feel.

My critism of them would be limited too

Rubbish laces, they wouldn't stay done up.

Poor Grip, Although the tread pattern is good for outdoor pursuits, as they where probaly designed for. I've found the grip on wet hard surfaces very poor.

BB trap. Tread pattern holds BB's perfectly :rolleyes:

Poor Grip, Although the tread pattern is good for outdoor pursuits, as they where probaly designed for. I've found the grip on wet hard surfaces very poor.

i had this problem as well, it's due to haveing 'spikes' at the front.

so when you push off with your toes they wont grip on a flat slipy surface, found that out when the snow iced over.

good review.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had my MOABs for over a year now, mainly used for airsofting here in southern California so no real challenging environment except for the sole and the overall comfort of the boot. I have used them for hikes, both short and long, in the country side with hilly and rocky terrain as well as in Sweden.

I bought these to replace my original Nike trail running shoes that I used for airsofting and hiking, I used the Nikes for this because I was never really a fan of ancle support and they were very, very comfortable. But one day I slipped and fell off a steep hill and rolled my ancle, after the fall I noticed that I could have easily broken my ancle and crushed my knee cap. I went home and ordered a pair of Alta knee pads(wonderful btw) and set off exploring the market for good hiking boots with just the right amount of ancle support.

I narrowed it down to the MOAB Mids, bought them at a local store that had a sale for 80USD and never looked back. Though, I did replace the insole with a Dr. Scholl's gell sole, I cannot remember which model exactly but it did wonders in comfort. Not to say that the original layout of the boot was uncomfortable, they were great, but I have had a series of surgeries on my left thigh that eventually screwed up my left hip so that I need to wear something like the Dr. Scholl's or similar inserts to walk for prolonged distances without pain in my hip(and I'm barely 18 years old... yay for hip replacement by age 30!)

I bought the Gore-Tex and was worried that because of them being waterproof it would sacrifice in breathability, but they do not! They feel like air passes though with no resistance whatsoever. This means that those with sweaty feet will stay mostly dry, something I find really crucial as I live in a place dominated by high temperatures and like my feet to be dry. They are still able to keep one relatively warm in colder weather. I wore them in +9C with regular thin breathable socks and it was windy outside, I stayed fairly warm in them. Though +9C is nothing compared to winter in the North, it is really as low as it gets around here mostly. For real winter I would advice you to get a real boot and socks for that cold climate, though you can still use the MOABs with thicker winter socks and still be fine depending on the person.

I wore them this past summer of 2010 in Sweden through grass and seaside rocks, as well as forests and especially though water. They held up just perfectly but I felt the need to always push them to the limit in the water. Every time it rained or I found a puddle I would go outside to get them wet! And every time they would not let the water through! I stood in a puddle for 5 minutes(I know it's not that long) almost up to the top and no water seeped through. I am extremely impressed!

On solid rocks or across Scandinavian fields and forests they held up great. I never felt like they would slip on any surface. On the Californian sandy and rocky hills they also hold up great, I feel like the traction I get with them is beyond anything I've ever used before. They are almost glued to the ground on the soft sand and small rocks. When running up and down hills with sand and small rocks(yes, sand and rocks are everywhere.... :/ ) they have no problems keeping stuck to the ground. I experienced the same feeling as I was in Sweden, running up and down hills with moist grass which is very easy to slip on!

I could write a better review but Will already made a good one and there are many more good reviews online anyways. But if I have to stress one feature of this boot it has to be the comfort! Granted, I did switch the sole for a better one, but that is for ME personally because of my bad hip. I just needed something softer to step onto.

All in all, great boot, great informative review Will, thanks :)

You wont be disappointed buying this boot!

Thanks for the feedback! Im glad it has been helpful to lots of people. (its a shame I don't have anywhere outside to take nicer pictures)

There are a few typo's but I missed them when I was reviewing it....................................

The laces is an issue but just double tie them! biggrin.gif

Once these give out I will get some FSN 95's but by the looks of it, that wont be anytime soon....................

Found of picture of me wearing my merrels in the snow, this year. -19c Wales!!!! and we slept outside.........

meinthesnowjpg2.jpg

At Bexley labs (the flash picked up the glint tape on the lace attachment points)

merrel.jpg

Edited by Banshee_Will

I've been wearing Chameleons of all kinds for about 5 years now and I had one pair of MOABs for about 3 months (I just didn't like them for my needs) for everything from Airsoft, to working offshore, to digging archaeological sites. I've never had issues with the laces, however I have found that the Merrell insole is junk, it's perfectly flat after about 2 months of use in all of the shoes I wore. My favorites so far were the Chameleon Wrap Stretches that followed a brief stint in MOAB mids (don't like mids for every day use). I also did notice in the older ones they had issues on perfectly flat wet surfaces like bare metal, or finished cement, this is not something I have noticed with my two newer pairs.

Also I just got back form a Merrell store and was informed that in a month or two Merrell would be releasing a Gore-tex alternative shoe to combat the increasing price of goretex, I was amazed especially as the price for goretex Chameleons and MOABs stayed the same (~$120) but the alternatives would be in the $85-100 range.

I am now in Blackhawk warrior ware desert assault boots and actually prefer them to my Chameleons and the MOABs that I didn't like compared to the chameleons, next on my list is a pair of Lowa Desert Zephyrs.

Edited by frogfish