Tasmanian Tiger Arizona Jacket

Introduction:

I've had my eye on this 3 in 1 jacket for quite a while, I already have a high opinion of Tasmanian Tiger (TT) from the Ammunition Vest and Mk1 Chest Rig I own, having browsed their website I'd settled on getting myself a Nevada and Arizona jacket to replace a multitude of fleeces and jackets that I already owned and just took up too much space. However spending this amount on a jacket is something I can't afford to do on a whim atm, times are hard and all that, fortunately Xmas came and my parents and grandparents both gave me money. This moved the jacket from the category, "I'd love to have that when I can justify the money", to "MINE!"

I ordered through ASMC.de they are one of the best suppliers of military and outdoors gear I have found to date, the price of this jacket also paid for an annual 20% discount card with them (as soon as you put the card in your basket it counts on that transaction) and for once the 50 euro minimum order was not a problem.

My Review:

The last few months have been bitter cold, I'm sure most of you in the UK will remember, my jacket arrived a few weeks before Xmas and went into immediate use. Prior to this I had mostly been wearing an Oakley outdoor jacket I picked up a few years ago for work and my TT Nevada outside of work. While the Nevada is a great windproof jacket, wearing multiple layers for travelling to a from work wasn't really practical as it left my work shirts looking like I had spent the night in a skip. Since getting this jacket, I have worn it on most occasions, it is a fantastically warm and comfortable jacket.

Now, to answer the main question I had in my head before I bought this jacket, "Is that a Colorado Fleece inside?" The answer I'm afraid, is no it isn't. It's a nice lightweight fleece (I'm yet to wear it outdoors on it's own yet) no thumb loops like the Colorado. It secures into the outer jacket by means of small loops on the sleeves and neck, which a webbing strap from the outer jacket passes through and press-studs closed. It also uses it's zip to secure it into the front of the outer. It has two chest pockets and two waist pockets, a drawstring at the hem, the zip is baffled and also when the zip is at the top there is a small pocket to stop it rubbing against skin and presumably to cut down on zip rattle.

The outer jacket is excellent quality material and contains pockets, so many pockets... a sideopening zip pocket on the left sleeve and a buttoned, top closing one on the right. Two large bellows pockets at the front with slash pockets behind. The chest pockets are very roomy and behind the left chest pocket is a very large inner pocket (will comfortable fit the TT wallet) the zip for this inner pocket is of course in a useful place... they really have thought about this jacket. The zip is between the main jacket zip and is covered by the velcro closure outer baffle meaning no having to open your jacket to reach your inner pockets, yet the zips are concealed enough you can be secure putting wallets, papers etc inside. There is also a matching zip on the right which allows access into the right hand fleece pocket. The bellows and chest pockets (as well as the right arm pocket) all have slotted buttons on a sturdy webbing strap.

As with the German smocks of old there is a wastline and hemline drawcord, these are elasticated and do a very nice job of keeping the outside world out and the jacket sitting firmly in-place. There are airholes under the arms in the moleskin combats design, however on mine at least there is no actual opening, just the stitching around a circle of still sealed fabric. I suspect come summer I may look at opening these up. The sleeves have velcro closure as does the outer baffle on the main zip.

There is a concealed drawstring hood inside the collar, I've yet to actaully use it for it's design purpose as I wear my leather hat everywhere... however this keeps the collar wonderfully thick and stiff... it is a very high collar and it is possible for me to pull my head down so my hat rests against the top to keep the outside world out on some of those cold windy railway platforms. However if you so desire, you can zip off the hood, this is a feature I really quite like.

Overall the jacket is lovely and warm and the water resistant material has kept me dry in the few short showers we've had... of course it's not water proof and the inside of the bellows pockets were starting to get a little moist by the time I got out of the rain, so anything you don't want getting damp at all may need to live in the inner pockets or (as I do with alot of my things anyway) in sainsbury's ziplock freezer bags. After keeping hold of my extra fleeces and jackets for a few weeks, they are now sat in a charity bag (well... all except my extreme conditions gore-tex) and I am confident that this will meet most of my needs in the year to come. I still wince a bit at the price and wonder if it really was worth that much, however on the 'price per wear' justification system I often employ... it's working out as a bargain and more-so every day.

Over all out of 5:

• Build Quality ★★★★★
  • Performance ★★★★★
  • Value for Money ★★★★

Manufacturer Description:

Windproof, waterresistent "Smock" double jacket (cotton blend) with fleece interior

Features: Two fitted upper arm pockets with zip fastening; Spacious chest pockets with large opening button fastening; Two comfortable side pockets plus side pouch pockets; Napoleon pocket and zip; Two drawstrings (hips and hem); High collar with extra width and foldable hood; Pre-bent sleeves; Double shoulder and forearm border; Color 040 black available from summer 2010

Manufacturer Pictures:

7639412a.jpg