5.11 MultiCam TDU Pants - Review w/ pics

EDIT: Sorry, photos turned out larger than I expected. Oh well, all the better to see the MultiCam with!

Introduction:

A while back, I bought myself a set of ACM multicam combat pants and shirt. The whole set cost me about $430 HKD, or about 35 pounds. To be honest I wasn't really satisfied with the quality of them.

Therefore I went and got myself a pair of multicam TDU pants in small size from 5.11 Tactical for $550 HKD or about 45 pounds. I must say, I'm thoroughly impressed.

DSC00475.jpg

The old ACM ones are on the left, and the 5.11 on the right.

Pattern comparison:

On the left are the ACM combat pants, and the TDU pants are on the right. I set the camera to "Gourmet" mode which is supposed to produce natural-looking photos of food (what is with Asians and taking photos of food?). In terms of colour, the photos seemed to reproduce it fairly faithfully.

DSC00476.jpg

As you can see, the patterns are quite different. Each individual colour in the ACM pants is more pronounced. The salmon colour is more pink, the green is a lot more green, and the dark brown is slightly darker. The colours in the genuine pattern blend into each other a lot more.

Features on the 5.11:

DSC00502.jpg

The 5.11 TDUs ooze quality. In this photo you can see the YKK zipper which moves nice and smoothly. The Prym snap has a defined snap when you pop it in, unlike those cheap mushy snaps. There is a button in the zipper area for added 'security'. You can also see a glimpse of the elastic waist which is marketed as a "self-adjusting comfort waist". The belt loops feel sturdy and they have ample room to fit a tac belt.

DSC00490.jpg

The expanding pockets in these pants are already pretty large. The photo above shows just how large they are compared to a 15cm ruler.

DSC00491.jpgDSC00492.jpg

Inside the pocket we see the two mag compartments. They fit AR mags very comfortably, and the larger compartment (the back is larger than the other) even fits a G36 mag.

DSC00488.jpg

The velcro does however attract bits of vegetation. In this photo you are actually seeing one of the back pockets. In total there are 6 pockets. Two back pockets, each the size of your average wallet, two cargo pockets on the sides, and two normal pant pockets that are about 30cm deep.

DSC00489.jpg

Here you can see the reinforced seat area from the back. The knee area is also reinforced.

Something that doesn't show very well in a photo is the fact that these pants accept 5.11 soft foam kneepads via a slit on the inside of the knee area.

There is also a drawstring at the end of each pant leg for those who like to tuck their pants into their boots, but I removed mine so you can't seem them in the pictures.

Features on the ACM:

DSC00493.jpg

The ACM pants have zippers that goe down the entire length of the pant leg for some reason. Each pant leg also has an AR mag pouch (the thing with the sideways flap). They also have large cargo pockets, but instead of a velcro flap, they are opened by a zipper along the side.

DSC00506.jpg

One interesting feature is that these pants also accept kneepads, but they are hard plastic/foam kneepads, and are accessed externally.

Quality:

I have worn both of these pants to two outdoor games, and the ACM pants have been suffering a lot more.

DSC00473.jpg

Here you can see the stitching and fabric completely coming apart. The zipper doesn't look good either. There are many more minor rips in the stitches in these pants.

On the other hand, the 5.11 pants have a couple very minor rips in the stitching.

DSC00486.jpg

Just look at that quality stitching! And note the genuine MultiCam label, which is always reassuring.

Fit and comfort:

Being a fairly skinny person for my height (30" waist, about 175cm tall), the 5.11 pants in small size fit me very nicely. However I can imagine these pants feeling quite tight for larger people, even with that "self-adjusting comfort waist". The ACM pants on the other hand (medium size), were far too wide at the waist for me, and slightly too long as well.

Both are made of heavy material, but the ACM pants are still a bit heavier, but they are also one size larger.

I find that the ACM pants stick to your legs as soon as you start to get sweaty, and make movement very uncomfortable. The 5.11 pants are equally thick but don't get quite as sticky and stuffy as the ACM ones.

Water resistance

This is often an overlooked feature in BDUs. The 5.11 pants are quite water-resistant and saved my legs from my recent orange juice spillage which I think I mentioned in another thread somewhere.

Anyways here are photos from my highly scientific water resistance test. I placed the pants flat on the ground, poured a small handful of water onto each one and left it for a few moments, then took photos.

DSC00504.jpgDSC00505.jpg

5.11: The larger puddles of water are starting to seep into the fabric, but the smaller droplets (similar size to rain droplets) are still sitting there.

ACM: The water soaked into the fabric almost instantly.

Conclusion:

Another outstanding product from 5.11 with lots of features, very good quality, and from what I can tell, a good MultiCam pattern. Definitely something to consider if you don't want to spend all that money for genuine Crye MultiCam.

Edited by G0LF K4RT
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Where did you pick up the 5.11s G0LF? I've got 2 pairs already in Khaki and OD, had no idea they were available in any camo patterns but given how excellent my others are I'm definitely in the market for some.

sorry for the late reply, but i picked them up in SupremeCo (a hong kong store). they had solid colours as well as marpat TDU pants, which were priced lower, but i can't remember how much they were.

Edited by G0LF K4RT