G&P Stoner MK.23 LMG

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well another broken gearbox to add to the thread ,under 100 rounds and the bevel gear axle snapped.

i find this a ridiculous fault with g&p gearboxes none of my cheap poorly shimmed china clones have ever broken a gear axle , yet this seems to be a regular occurance with g&p surley someone has told them their gears are ###### and to sort them out, there supposed to be a high end gun but qc sucks.

well the box is dissmantled and its definatly the bevel gear axle thats sheared off.

I have read on another forum that due to the m120 spring used the gearbox is of the torque up type gear ratio, mine when checked is 20.64-1

Ive also read that a high torque motor should be used with high torque gears g&p are using a 120 high speed type motor.

Ive been told that damaged axles and stripped gears are what will happen using a high speed motor with a heavy spring and a torque up box.

I have replaced the bevel gear with a standard xyt making the gear ratio 18.72-1 and fitted a m100 progressive spring, rof has increased and gearbox sounds healthier and under less strain.

What they told you is rubbish. An M120 spring is not a heavy spring, and if the setup was otherwise done correctly, with regards to shimming, motor height and so on, the gears should last forever. If anything should break with too high speed plus too strong a spring, it's the piston, maybe the motor would burn out first.

Combining a speed motor with torque gears is fine for reaching a decent ROF with a mid-level spring, which is what an M120 is. The G&P gears were just weak.

I honestly think that is the case to,

My Stoner is running at 300 FPS now,

I cut the original spring down when it first arrived, without testing it first,

So maybe my spring is somewhere in the region of a 90 spring strength,

Relubed it, no reshim was needed as it was great out of the box...

and it's been doing its thing like a brazilian hooker on coke ever since

My teammate got his stoner at the same time,

and he had a axle break after about a 1000 rounds I think,

Can't remember what strength he ran at the time, could have been the 120 spring it came with,

but certainly not stronger...

You just had bad luck, as he did...

In all honestly the new 8mm G&P boxes are the best I have seen in a long while,

I've got three running at the moment in my CAR15 607, m16A1, and stoner... one is shooting at 345, one at 340 and the stoner at 300.

And the m16 has been running for ages,

great ROF with a 7.4V LiPo, even in the Stoner, and they sound as smooth as angels singing, no grinding sound...

But in the past,

in there 7MM I had the infamous axle snap happen to my two times, also with max 100 stregth spring,

So I got lemons that time,

• 1 month later...

I just sourced a RS Stoner bipod for my Stoner, and it was serious cash, as there aren't many available. It got me thinking that there maybe some demand for a repro. Having the actual bipod, if there's interest, I might look into fabricating a few. PM if you're interested and I'll start looking into whether it could be done for a reasonable amount of money.

Please don't cluter this thread with responses, let's keep it on PMs. If I get this going I'll be starting a new thread.

Hey can anyone who's taken down their Stoner tell me if the gearbox uses an M4 nozzle or something different? I don't want to take mine down until it breaks if possilbe.

Also anyone else have a problem with a loose safety? If I hold it with the safety off and point the gun straight up, the safety slips back to "on". Thanks.

I have a solution for that, and actually it's better then the original :P

Don't know for sure,

It's been a while since I broke down the gearbox, but I seem to remember it sure looked like a regular M4 nozzle...

You will need to break it down nonetheless to repair the safety,

so you can directly have a look at the nozzle to make sure

Will get back to you later

Well underneath the grub screw you tightened down you have a tiny, and I do mean tiny spring and a small rod,

This rod grabs into two very small, holes in the receiver, pinhole size. on and off safety...

My safety didn't always engage properly in these holes, didn't hear the reassuring click you get with other safeties, mainly AR type stuff.

I was happy that one day the little spring decided to come out on its own, it was a *suitcase* system anywho..

I replaced it with a spring almost double the width so it has no play whatsoever in the grub screw channel, and twice the length and replaced the little bar with a small ball bearing you find in 40MM airsoft grenades... all came out of the spare box.

The ball bearing is much better as it can move when you apply pressure to it, but gives a good "click" when you engage or disengage the safety...

That's the best way I can explain it, I didn't have to do any kind of mods of the sort, just dropped in the new spring with the tiny ball bearing, tightened it down so it clicked good, didn't overtightened it...

Honestly works much and much better now, this is going to last a lot longer then the original setup,

the ball bearing is that good because it can "move", rotate on the spring now... without wearing down on metal...

You use the properties of the sphere to your advantage

Edited by blablabla

Picked one of these up the other day and I love it to bits.

One thing though my fore-grip is a little wobbly can that be rectified but tightening up certain bolts or something ? I'd strip it down and try myself but I've next to no idea how it all comes apart thanks in part the the rather vague instructions included.